Fracture numerous head

Posted , 28 users are following.

I fractured the humoros head of my left shoulder on Christmas Eve as a result of a fall during ice-skating. It has been three weeks and my left arm is immobilized in a sling. I return in two weeks to the orthopedic physician who will then x-ray the shoulder again to be certain it is healing well. There was no displacement. I live in the US & wondered how long I will have PT. I'm also wondering when I will be able to use the left arm to hold a hair dryer so I can do my hair. I'm 57 years old & am so hurt when people say I was probably too old to be ice skating. Any replies on healing are appreciated. I'm really frustrated with slow process of healing.

2 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That's really great to hear Linda.I had an xray after 3 weeks - everything was healing well then.i will have another next week so hopefully it will be healed or at least almost! Well done on doing your exercises. It's so important to do them every day and yes, at least 4 times per day is great. Every time I eatI do them!! You will be back in great shape very soonsmile
    • Posted

I just wanted to check & see how you're doing. I'm doing the range of motion exercises many times throughout the day. I am not able to lift my arm yet. Can you lift yours yet? Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. I go back to PT tomorrow and I'll see what they say. I sure don't want a frozen shoulder. I had that on my right arm 5 years ago after rotator cuff surgery.

Looking forward to hearing from you. : )

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I really don't think you will get frozen shoulder if you continue to do the exercises often daily. When you are lifting your arm you will need to do so with your other hand to help at first. It will take time to be able to get it right back to the ground but doing it each day will stretch the muscles and you will get there. I was abe to go half way a week and 3 days ago and now I can go right back to touch the ground. Persist and listen to your body - you will get there for suresmile

• Posted

I think I will feel better tomorrow after I see the physical therapist. Sometimes I have a habit of doing too much & I don't want to do more harm than good. Sometimes pushing through pain is not what is needed. Do you go to the doctor this week?
    • Posted

Fionnuala,

I went to my physical therapy yesterday & I have to say the exercises are quite brutal/painful but I'm working hard on them because I'm returning to work part-time in 2 weeks.

Right now the focus is on range of motion. I go two more times this week. He massages & stretches it which feels good & bad @ the same time. I kind of did my hair today by myself so that's a bit of progress. It's a sunny day & I'm out walking 3-4 times to gain my strength. I have a long road ahead of me but the sun is shining today which brings me hope. How are you?

Linda

• Posted

Dear Linda,

I'm really glad to hear that you are do your hair now. Yes, I completely understand - it is very sore doing the exercises. You could take a pain killer 30minutes before beginning your exercises but really that would mean taking at least 4 per day and I'm not sure about taking all of those for your kidneys etc. The best I can suggest is to listen to a podcast or an audi book while you are doing your exercies - preferably something you are really interested in. In this way, you will be slightly distracted from the pain. Focus on all the great small steps you are making. Also, that;s really great that you are going for lots of walks daily and getting some gorgeous sun - medicine in itselfI believesmile Go you, you are really getting there x By the way, yes I go to see the doctor this Thursday for an xray etc, I'm sure all will be positive. 

• Posted

Hi all.  Just been reading this link and its great to see everyone giving each other so much support.  I had a displaced humerus fracture which was operated on six weeks ago.   Some screws and a plate.  I started physio two days after op.  I must add I am in France for the winter - skiing!!!  That's how I broke my humerus.  I am from Cornwall but spend the winter here as my son has a ski chalet business here. 

Anyway the main issue I have is very severe pain - almost a dull ache - nearly every night.  This starts about two hours after falling asleep and the only way to relieve it is to get up and start moving my arm/shoulder.  Take pain killers and then generally get back to sleep.  I am not sure if this is normal??? 

I am reasonably happy with the improvements in movement but it does seem to take so long and although initially movement was regained quite quickly it now seems to have reached a plateau and I am getting frustrated.  Its difficult to know what is the norm.  How much physio to do.  Some say it should not cause pain while others say you need to do the exercises despite pain. 

Just wondering what you two ladies feel on this.

At the moment the main problem is the painful nights.  I don't mind if this is normal but feel it should be improving now.  I don't need pain killers in the day at all - or very rarely.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

I too go for long walks here in France with my son's dog.  The first time I walked after the op I could barely do half a mile without being exhausted.  Its scarey how quickly you lose your fitness with inactivity.  By the way I am 60.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear of your skiing accident & subsequent fracture. In a way, cheers to us for skating & skiing & our ages! On the other hand, the recovery has proven to be harder for me at age 57. Like you, I have been surprised how much a fracture zaps your energy as one recovers. I am at 7 1/2 weeks and I continue to tire more easily than I want. I am returning to work 1/2 days on Monday. I work at a hospital as an audiologist & am hoping I fall right back into the routine.

As far as your nightly pain, I would take a pain pill a bit before bedtime with milk for extra calcium & then prop yourself on the pillows & see how you do. I put myself in a cocoon surrounded by pillows. If you continue to struggle I'd call your doctor. You've been through a lot & you'll need time to get better. I'm seeing that I still have a long road ahead of me with exercises & recovery.

As far as pushing through the pain with the exercises, my physical therapist said to listen to my body. There's a time to push through pain, but that with these fractures it's not best to do that. My exercises are grueling & I do them 4 times a day. My fracture was not displaced and was a fracture of the greater tuberosity. In my mind I think I should be doing way better than I am, but I'm taking it day by day & trying to remain hopeful. I'm walking greater distances each week. Eating healthy was good advice I heeded as well.

Please let us know how you're doing. It's so nice to hear from others who are going through the same thing.

Best wishes for a full recovery, sooner rather than later.

Linda

• Posted

I'm 59.  I trIed to answer the other day, but for some reason  I couldn't post.I had a 3 or more part compound, comminuted and displaced spiral fracture of the humerus, fixed wIth ORIF surgery, (as well as several other broken bones).

The shoulder caused severe pain, especially at night, for at least 5 months, and still hurts moderately, wIth use, after 9 months.

Sleep Is no longer a problem. 

Mine were really bad fractures.

Your pain sounds about right to me.

The PT goes slowly, with plateaus and small improvements, I have regaIned about 60-75% of normal ROM, and am shooting for 100%.

AggressIve PT brought on symptoms of CRPS, so I had to fInd a gentle physIcal therapIst.  And I can't use Ice.

I kept Insisting that something was very wrong.  I could feel it, see it in the mirror and on the x-rays.

I bugged the surgeon who operated on my shoulder, but he would not admit anything was wrong.  

I had to switch surgeons, twice, but I finally found one who explained to me, last week, that the alignment of the humeral head wasn't perfect, and there is now a slight bend just below the humeral head. 

So now I have to retrain the muscles to work at the new angle.

The new surgeon is optimistic, and so am I. 

I may need to have the plate removed, as it impinges on a tendon.

I'm actually pretty happy with my progress, all thIngs considered.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and keep up the good work!

• Posted

I am so flad to read of someone who has had a similar experience to mine.

I fell on my shoulder in July 2015 and fx the proximal humeral head with a 4 part displacement. Two weeks later, after flying back to the  US I had an ORIF of humerus wth titanium plate and screws installed. The pain was and continues to be insane. The pain medicine made me very

nauseated. I am at 7 weeks and the surgeon tells

me the lesser tuberosity is maligned. To boot I have developed a bad

case of shingles from the sleeplessness and stress,so I am at a low

point. My physio has been cancelled by the surgeon as it was too

aggressive. I would appreciate any support or advice from fellow

warriors. Thanks!

• Posted

I am also about 8 weeks into recovery. I am not sure how much to push myself with PT, been hearing mixed opinions. I am guessing it depends on how long ago the injury occured. The dull ache is pretty much constant. Advil doesn't seem to help, also tried lidocaine patches, with no benefit. Trying to keep the pain pills to only at night. Even with that medication, still having problems sleeping at night like everyone else! My injury was a displaced greater tuberosity of the humerus with some hairline fractures as well. No surgery, wore a sling for 6 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Hun.. there are a few of us with similar and have shared tips etc for making it as comfortable as possible.  Fraid not up on the med terms - I had a multi fractures of shoulder.  but do look through page 2 and see if any of the tips will help.. we all recover at different time lines - I have been off for 5 mths and slinged for 4mths off/on.. I still get pain at night time with arm spasms and try to take 2 painkillers before bed.   Get a "V" cushion as sleeping flat will hinder it.. best things ever invented lol    Yep.. I am a golden oldie.. hahahaha.. but we are here if you want to natter or let off steam. smile smile 

• Posted

Try using German Chamomile essential oil for pain. It works wonders. I also broke my shoulder.
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury and welcome to this discussionsmile I don't know how long your pain should last. For me, it was painful while sleeping for the first 3 weeks. After that, I woke once during the night with a little pain but it wasn't persistent. As with you, the pain was always when lying down for some reason. I did read on another discussion that sleeping on a recliner helps a lot or sleeping with yourself propped up with lots of pillows. I know it is not the best way to sleep but it will help the pain. When I was in hospital this is how they positioned me to sleep best - propped up with lots of pillows.

Every time you start a new exercise for your injury, it will be painful.I find the pain is less and eventually goes as I continue with that exercise. So, yes, there will be pain while you do your exercises, but it shouldn't last after the exercises, it should just be while you are doing them. Yes, it can be frustrating!! But respect your body, you had a pretty bad break if you had to have an operation. It takes 8-12 weeks for the bone to fully heal, can be even longer if you are older and you say you are 60. The doctor told me it will take 6 months for full recovery. So hang in there, you are doing great and I'm sure the frustration is becuase you want to go skiing again!! It will happen for you. I know it's not the same, but maybe you could go snow shoeing or do ski du fond (cross country skiing),on flat terrain. 

Best wishes with your recovery x

• Posted

Hi, I broke my shoulder May 15, 2015. I am in physio now and this is ongoing 2 times per week. It is the head humerus fracture that I have when I fell backwards. The pain is strong and sometimes it blocks my shoulder and in the elbow. It is so severe sometimes that I can barely move my arm although I do continue to exercise during the day. Is there something I should be doing for this blockage? thank you
    • Posted

Hi Shiba, I fell and broke the proximal head of my left humerus with a 4 part displacement on July 7th 2015 in Ireland . I had ORIF July 22 here in Atlanta with a titanium plate and 10 screws inserted into my arm and the tuberosities wired back togethger. The pain journey has been insane,night and day. My physio was cancelled by the surgeon due to the severity of the pain, Personally,I think your body should be your guide as I overexercised and did more damage . I am praying to all the deities as I really need mental strength to cope with this. Good luck with your recovery. Anne           I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.