freaked out

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello , I've been on 10mg of Citalopram and felt my anxiety and panic getting worse , its only been 4 days and I have to up my dose to 20mg this evening. Does it go away or get worse I'm very scared by it all at the min .I've never taken anything in my life but started to get really bad panic disorder. Thank you.

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Morning Steff,

Well, you are taking yer Dr's advice and you are thinking about the day, which is far better than being so fuzzy headed you can't think of anything. Occupyiing the mind, to as far as it can go at the moment, is good however, with a Family you already have enough to do, I know. You've been out with the dog and had a little exercise which is also good. 

You've put some slap on which, I guess helps, I don't (unless going somewhere special, at night, in the dark, in a dress, but hey! That's another story for another forum! Lol!).

Seriously, things are looking a little more positive already! If you don't feel like going out then don't and there is no need to force yourself at this stage anyway. Why not get your friends to come around, if you feel up to it explain what is happening and hopefully one will understand. It does help to have a Family member and /or friend(s) that understand (or is willing to) which really does help. My Fiancee, knew didly squat about these illnesses so, she sat with me while I posted or read in the early days of my illness, but not now. I keep her up to date with me feelings and everything and she is a good sounding board, like everyone here and my GP.

I take my dose just before bed as this works better for me. I believe it works better while I am asleep and resting plus I don't get the fuzziness I used to during the afternoon and evening anymore.

Some of us are the same, I never took meds unless it was the last resort, like man flu etc. I was always fit (mind you I do have arthritis in the old bumble bees (not related of course!)) and am an ex rufty tufty serviceman so, I know how desperate, bewildered, confuddled and thinking wtf is happening to me at times it can be. We just have to go with the flow until we're strong enough to take control again! 

Just remember that you may (or may not) get added extras again the same or different (or possibly not) when you increase. I found each time I increased I did, but they got less, I could handle them and didn't even notice them in the end!

Good Luck stay tuned!

David

• Posted

I went to my friends for 10 min and had to come home , anxiety just going through the roof at the min. I think I'm being to impatient with myself . X
    • Posted

Again, strange as it may sound, I'd look at that as a 'positive' if I were (and was once, in the early days) you. Also look at it as testing the water to see what you can or cannot do or what you feel like doing unless you try you won't know!

Remember to always have that emergency duvet ready for when you get in from a venture out. It'll pass don't worry. Take the time to occupy yer self with hobbies, art, crafts, design, gardening etc. If you life in a block of flats please disregard that last suggestion! Lol!

Sunny here now the low cloud has cleared, may be Summer starting at last!

Keep focused.

David

• Posted

Sorry I keep asking questions . I've felt very light headed today and sick , hot and cold is this normal ? Rang the doctors as I've had bad anxiety all day but she was not in today .
    • Posted

These are Side effects of citalopram you are only on these tablets since 6 days it will take some time 4 to 6 weeks then you will feel better first few weeks are hard but after you will be ok.

Stay Strong. 

• Posted

Wanted to ask the doctor if I had to up the dose to 20mg as I have felt very poorly today .Thank you for everyone's advise , I know other people go through the same but it's still scary when it is happening all day and that's why I was given the tablets in the first place .x
    • Posted

I Know Stfee how you are feeling now coz i was the same when i started the tablets i'm on 10mg at the moment nearly 5 weeks now i don't want to put up my dose want to stay on the lowent dose.

Give 10mg try for few weeks and see how you feel if your Dr gave you 20mg then follow the Dr.

You will be ok in few weeks. 

• Posted

Do you have any Ativan or Diazepam they might help you calm down and pass the rough patch but don't take them more then 2 weeks. If you don't have then as Dr.
    • Posted

No I don't and don't really want to take anything else.

Would like to say that this group is a great comfort to me at the min .

• Posted

It could be added extras they are very similar to some that people get or you may be getting a bit of a cold or flu! The next 24 hours should tell if it progresses into either.

I know you're like me, not wanting to take meds so, I just wanted to say that we do not usually advise taking anything apart from what has been prescribed by yer GP. I know you won't, but it has to be said now and again, if not for our sake, but for others that read the posts.

Anyway, hope you can have a farily relaxed evening!

Regards,

David

• Posted

It does get better....

I went up to 20mg after 7 days and the side effects subsided...the therapeutic dose for it to work for anxiety is 20mg

I just thought can it get worse and I can tell you it doesn't!!!

• Posted

Just stay strong and you can always post here we all are in the same boat and one day we all well be anxiety and panic free. smile 
    • Posted

Is that why you are on them Emma ? Mine is for panic attack , I think that's why I feel like I do...over thinking.

Thank you Steff x

• Posted

Hi steff

I'm on it for anxiety... I was on it when my daughter was born after emergency surgery, then I had gall stones 7 days after her birth and I needed more surgery and then my grandmother died...it all built up and I couldn't cope...wouldn't go out started on citlrapram and it works wonders... Even upped my dose and went on holidays, moved house etc...

This time it was a catalogue of work stress and then my grandad died 2 weeks ago which kicked it off again.

It does work... I feel better on 20mg

Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.