freaked out

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello , I've been on 10mg of Citalopram and felt my anxiety and panic getting worse , its only been 4 days and I have to up my dose to 20mg this evening. Does it go away or get worse I'm very scared by it all at the min .I've never taken anything in my life but started to get really bad panic disorder. Thank you.

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It is too soon to increase your dose up to 20mg. Citalopram doesn't reach a steady state in the blood for 8 days, and it's not dose dependent either. You are experiencing the normal start up side effects of citalopram and they can take a few weeks to resolve. You certainly shouldn't be thinking of increasing up to 20 until you have been on 10 for a longer period,
    • Posted

That's just what the doctor told me to do , I've stuck to the 10 for now , xx .
    • Posted

My doctor went from 10mg to 20mg after 7 days...I just worked on basis it couldnt get worse xx
  • Posted

u will get batter

stuck with it

and take Dizepam to help u with ur anxiety

it's help me a lot

• Posted

but it's just something to calm down ur anxiety

it's temporary

and I hear it's help many ppl

it's really good and works with many ppl

• Posted

Well I've been awake since 4 , feel a bit less foggy today but I'm so tired. Still shaking all day , wobbly legs . Does this go away ? Been put with the dog for 20 min.
    • Posted

That was out with the dog .
  • Posted

Welcome to the Club!

That may sound easy to say and I can assure you it does become easier when you get through the cr*p yer going through.

Unfortunately we have to go through, what I like to call the added extras (side effects) to become a new and better person. Cita is a good sticking plaster for the brain, but there can be these added extras which we may or may not get and you just have to give it time. Time is an undefinable period in this case as we are all so different. Some may get added extras that you won't and you may possibly get ones that others won't, also the intensity may be higher or lower. Try to understand that Cita usually causes anxiety to be able to treat it (for example, I didn't think I had anxiety!  I was wrong!) mine lasted a month or so, but again it depends on the individual and what repairs Cita has to carry out in the overhaul of your brain.

Try not to over worry about what you read here, it may not concern or happen to you, just concentrate on the issues that do and you will get the advice you need. Try and remain positive even when it feels there is little to be positive about.

Do not wish to be yourself again or the old you because, that person is the reason you are here. If possible remove yourself from the situation if that was part of the problem too. Look forward to a new and better you from now on.

Accept you may be a fuzzy headed zombie for a while, but always remember you will get through it, no matter how long it takes and we are here for YOU!

Finally, while you are this stage of feeling like cr*p with no end in sight try to go with it the best you can.

I always mention the advantages of an emergency duvet downstairs/living room for those days you make it out of bed, but thats about it! Music is a great aid to recovery so play your favourite uplifting music (after a while you may want to dance the blues away so, have a dance!) or DVD, do not watch or listen to the news more than once a day and steer clear of anything called reality TV because it ain't! It is far from it and mainly sad and depressing sh*te full of sad people trapped in a false world. Which is basically where I came from via work related stress. The job was actually very good, but some of the people – well we'll leave it there.

Keep reading (try not to over analyise or worry), keep posting, ask anything without worry or fear of how it may sound, we have all been there and we are all here for you now. I think you may begin to realise that with the number of replies so far!

Regards,

David.

• Posted

Thank you so much , feel a little bit of a failure though at the min .Just wish all this nervous tension would go away , my legs wobble all day until I go to bed . Thank you for the advise xxx
    • Posted

Hey come on Steff, if you're a failure then so are we all!

The fact is you are not. Something in our lives brought us all here and these days it is our lives, lifestyles and the way society is treating us that is failing us. That is the root of the problem so, no more of that, okay!

Everything you are mentioning is usual (don't like the word "normal" - I mean anyone really know what normal is? No!). Thes are some of the side effects with Cita, but it does show it is working and repairing slowly and gradually that which needs fixing.

It will be difficult to focus, but please try and eventually all the tension, angst etc., will go away. Many of us can testify that sometimes it goes without you realising. However, you have to be aware that it may come back (not always), but it just may. When you get to this stage you'll be able to brush it off! Unfortunately, not now, but you have us to help you through!

This is an all inclusive forum and it has become like a Family to many of us, unlike other Families, this one you can choose!

Wobbley legs must mean time to dive under that duvet!

David x

• Posted

Feel so lost at the min .My daughter goes of to school and then I have nothing to do. Been out with the dog already , put some makeup on . Now all I want to do is see my friends but I can't because of this bloody panic. Think I am going to up my dose tonight to 20mg like the doctor told me to . May start feeling worse then but hey how. Thank you for your lovely advise . X
    • Posted

Hi David

i think its work that created my problem in part. i cant afford to leave the job i have but it drives me to distraction to the point i could cry. plus i had a failed operation that left me in pain for the last 12 months. now i have to have it agian. i think this is what caused me depression and aniexty. im day 6 on 10mg of Cita. im not happy with myself and hope that this works. and that i can come off it one day too

• Posted

At the moment you have to concentrate on getting over the yuk stage and getting better before even thinking about coming off one day!

I'm on 40mg I have been on Cita for 18 months and am going to try to come off, but when I, my Fiancee and my GP feel it is the right time. Then it has to be slowly and gradually over well, as long as it takes. There a people who give excellent advice here (one I regard as the closest thing to an angel I have come across), who have come off and some back on for a short time because they are so clued up they knew some extra help may be needed due to an unavoidable life event or crisis that was looming.

If your job is making you ill you should try and concentrate on doing something else. I had no option I crashed, my GP told me so before I did although, I don't remember much when I did! I lost my job and am now trying to find something I want to do, work for me not the system and all that support it which used and abused me!

It has been difficult for us with only one part-time wage coming in, but we have managed and the biggest aid to managing was my lifestyle change! Giving up the acceptable drugs of alcohol and tobacco saved me a fair bit. Sourcing healthier free range and organic foods, omitting the killer additives found in processed and ones that are ruining the earth like palm oil production for example has made us fitter and in the long term saved us money. We eat good food we don't crave cr*p which addiction is part of the process!

I have returned to hobbies and crafts, in the early days I decorated the house inside and out (good old Wilko - other stores are available Lol! (but not as good or as cheap)) which helped concentrate my mind. The physical illness came after, but again not related.

When it comes to out health in particular our mental health try putting goodnes into your body feed it and your mind and you will see that the possibilities are endless, believe me!

Ciao fer now!

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.