Frequent aura attacks - only very slight headache afterw...

Posted , 15 users are following.

Frequent aura attacks - only very slight headache afterwards. Attacks last 30 minutes - can be either right or left sided. Aura starts in shape of small zigzag letter 'c' (this way 'c' seen if on left - reversed if on right)then gets larger until the 'C' disappears out of view on whichever side if appeared on.

[i:51a6953e10]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:51a6953e10]

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow. I feel so thankful to have found this discussion. I also get Aura migraines with no pain. I used to get standard migraines when I was in my teens. On & off throughout my life. Then after menopause I've stared getting these Aura migraines. They start from getting light in my eye, from a flickering speck and progressively get larger into a rugby ball shape. They last 20-25 minutes. Completely distort my vision with this flickering rugby ball shape working its way across my eye. Absolutely no pain, but I can feel very tired afterwards.

I do have slight blood pressure & take a beta blocker. I'm short sighted. I'm in my 50s, female. I have a lumbar spinal fashion.  Ongoing disc issues in my entire back with bulging discs between my shoulder blades. My neck is also affected by my back problems. 

Any similarities? 

• Posted

I never had them before in my life until peri /menopause! I was getting about four a month and then they stopped but two years menopause they started again. After having my eyes checked and glasses (I lost my other reading ones and was using some that weren't prescribed) they seem to have stopped again. Sometimes light sets it off (including phone light)

• Posted

Hi Jen. 

It really is reassuring to find other people with these aura migraines isn't it. I have also had bulging back discs for over 30 years, and in the last 8 years or so I have had problems with neck / shoulder and head pain.  So there are lots of similarities.

• Posted

hi there,

I am post menopause about 10 years

About 5 year after menopause, I started having these auras.  starts like a dark spot on the outer side of my eye.  Then I go into the C shapes and then the zigzags with all coulours and sparks.  It lasts about 20 minutes....but never a headache.

The first time I had one, I panicked and ran outside in the sunlight.    You sure do not do that.

Mine seem to be seasonal.  Usually  in Feb/Mar  and then again  in  Mar/Apr.

I keep records of all these weird things, and looked back and noticed that many times I had them, I had a broken blood vessel   usually up to a week before..

• Posted

I also have bulging disc but in my lower back, and too have these auras Interesting
    • Posted

Dear lolasmom

Yes I did start to keep a diary, I did find lights set them off but sometimes I wasn't sure what it was. I had one once and I looked back at what I had eaten/drank and I had peanut butter (I believe this can cause migraines) well, like you, I dont get the full migraine just the auras. Another time I had the peanut butter and I didnt get one, so I don't know if that was the cause! I do get allegies with watery eyes and I believe that can set them off. When I had the very first one in peri it was awful as it really affected my sight and I felt sick, thankfully they arent so bad when I have them now. My husband experienced one for the first time recently and he remembered me telling him about them so he knew what it was!

• Posted

I kept a diary for a few years on my ipad, but accidentally binned all the info, grrr. I also have sinus problems, nasal polyps and allergic rhinitis. I am sure all these ailments have a link.
    • Posted

Hey there.

Just wondered how you are doing now with your auras?

• Posted

Hello well i'm still getting a few a month, I went to the doctors and she seems to link it with menopause and has sent me for blood tests to see if i'm low on something. I did go on the migraine forums but was a bit freaked out when some people said I should get scans done because this happened with someone who had auras, got me abit worked up about it really! I did say about a scan but it doesnt work like that, you have to go through the prpper channels to get anywhere!

• Posted

That is funny you mentioned the migraine forum. I did that too last week and got freaked out.  Especially the migraine one on facebook.  Got out of there really quick

I also on a daily basis get huge pressure over my face from eyebrows down to belox maxillary sinuses, This plugs my left nostril and left ear.  It makes me feel all off balance.  Not usre whether that has anything to do with it.  It has been happening for many years.  Somedays it is all day, and others just a couple of hours..   Never a headache though

• Posted

I know I really freaking abit at the moment as they seem to be happening alot together, i'm sure after I went in the kitchen yesterday it set one off, the overhead light was on and bright (I dont usually have it oon, I like subtle lights) but my daughter always turns it on How often do yours happen? And do you get a cluster of them?

• Posted

I do not get clusters of them,  And I only get the light show seasonally. Never a headache after the aura. Usually in Sept/Oct,   and again in  March/April.  I also get vertigo for about 3 weeks around the same time.

Last year I had PVD in my right eye, and that really freaked me out.

The neurologist thinks The facial pressure/ear plugged and off balance feeling is a form of migraine. This is daily and is taking over my life.  It creates alot of anxiety.   I am not convinced it is migraines.  I am going to some migraine/headache clinic this coming week regarding botox. I will not have botox but just want to go to the consultation.  Maybe they can help or suggest something

It all just sucks

• Posted

Yes it can over take everything cant it! Mine started about June they normally appear quite close together, around six, sometimes four a month, August was the quietest month , I thought October would be but had some end of Oct, I suffer health anxiety and its been awful through menopause x
    • Posted

Hello again

I am still getting the auras, in December they quietened down because I took some antihistamines but after stopping in January they started up again. I think the fridge light set one off the othet morning and I had one while swimming. How are you doing?

• Posted

My auras have been really good. But I seem to only get them seasonally.  Sept/Oct  and then  Mar/April.I also had a PVD in my   right eye last April .   I have had such anxiety though.  Went on a couple of meds for anxiety,  and then had to take 10 months to wean off in order to have a heart ablation.  Worst time of my life.  Ablation was again not successful, and have to try again in May

Not sure  whether it is my  anxiety back or I am just still feeling withdrawals.   It is just the worst.......

• Posted

Oh good about the auras but not with your other problems. My son went to have an ablation once and it failed. I dont think my auras are seasonal as they started in June and have had them monthly, I see a neurologist this month, I have started the antihistamines again juat to see once again if they help. Anxiety is awful I have had my share of that as I entered menopause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.