Frightening night

Posted , 11 users are following.

And will not be going through that again. I expected the spaced out feeling, numbness and even nausea and gastric upset, but in addition have suffered muscle spasms all night which affected my whole body. Woke OH as was scared. Worried it would be affecting my heart muscle. I was twisted up and shaking many times. Loads of difficult visits to the logo. Lost lots of fluid and feel very weak this morning.

The waves of these effects have left me thinking about what alcohol does to our bodies. This one pill has been a nightmare.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

*loo not logo
  • Posted

Oh Heavens, Sue.  What an awful experience.  

I panic when my heart races.  I hope today is good for you.  Bad reactions are so difficult to deal with... you just don't know what's coming next.

Keep Posting your progress.

Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thanks for your post.  Still sffering the dizziness the the spasms have subsided.  Just feel extremely weak.  Felt so frightened.  Worst I've felt for a long time sad

No idea when all this will go........ no more drugs for me.  It's either no alcohol or controlled from now on.  God knows what alcohol is doing if one pill can do that :'(

• Posted

I don't know which pill you took but the side effects sound like me on Naltrexone. After day 3 I thought I was dying. I prayed so much it would help me. The anxiousness and vivid dreams had me crazy. Right now I'm on day 6 alcohol free. I take a very low dose of baclofen which don't help tremendously but I know my body is OK with it since I took it for muscle spasms some time ago. I planned on asking my doctor for campral at my appointment next week but not too sure I wanna go through possible side effects again since the side effects from Naltrexone drove me to drink the side effects away. Of course I stopped taking it. I've decided to join the local gym and start horseback riding. For myself I need to try a different approach. Something more healthy. I figure if i spend so much money drinking that i might as well spend it on something good. I'm also going to outpatient counseling and group therapy. I'm not into AA and of course that's my choice. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on whatever you tried. Some people, like myself are just extremely sensitive to medication. I hope you feel better soon and pray you find something that works for you. Blessings!

• Posted

It was selincro. Can't remember the proper name. Am in the uk.

One pill. Felt ill within the first hour. But had two glasses of wine despite feeling bad. Yes felt slightly better after that. Didn't want any more. But during the night had to sleep in foetal position to stop the spasms. Every time I tried to move my whole body spasmed. I was terrified.

19 hours later I am so weak. I truly hope I haven't damaged my body.

• Posted

And thank you kelly for your reply. You have some good ideas and I think that's what I need too x
    • Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Selincro is another name for Nalmefene which is like Naltrexone.  I think everyone's body reacts differently.  I think it worked for me the first 2 nights but the 3rd night I thought I was going to die.  So close to going to the nearest hospital.  But, I must say I felt it working and I do think it could help a lot of people.  I am just not one of them and apparently you are not either.  

Nothing against anyone because we all have our own ways to stay sober but I am finding I really need to stop being so lazy and getting more active.  I'm relying on pills that make me feel terrible and people that let me down.  I have to own my own sobriety.  I do rely on my outpatient counseling and my group therapy for venting reasons.  I choose not to go to AA as I've been there many times and it's just not for me.  

I don't believe I'm powerless over alcohol.  I believe I need to gain strength and have more faith in ME!  I don't believe I lost all control forever.  I think I can gain that back.  I don't choose to sit at an AA meeting and call myself an alcoholic every day and listen to the same stories over and over.  I was sober for 11 years and for those years i kept busy with my kids in school and sports.  Now maybe I need to keep busy with myself and working out and finding things I like to do.  I'm tired about whining which pill isn't helping and that my support system of people have let me down.  (not intentionally)  That's the "poor me" talking because I wanted everyone to do the work for me including a medication.  

When I had myself a good cry on Saturday night I thought to myself what the H*LL am I doing?  Get up and make a plan Kelly!!!  So, that's what I did.  A gym membership costs a lot less than what I spend on drinking in a month's time.  Once I pay for it I won't want to lose the money.  Sort of like drinking.  If I pay for a case of beer I'm not going to quit in the middle.  I'm going to finish that case first!  

I don't think you damaged your body Sue.  I think you just had a bad reaction to it.  It'll pass.  

Don't be afraid to try other medications.  I still think I might get the Campral to keep on hand.  But, I am going to try getting more active first.  I do have to wait until I get paid Friday to pay for my gym membership.  So, until then I make sure on my days off work that I have something planned.  Like tomorrow I'm not working so I have plans to go visit my grandmother before group therapy.  I don't trust myself to be home alone all day.  It gives me too much time to think.  

I wish you the best.  Glad we got to talk and I'm glad I'm not the only one who had an "off" reaction to the medication.

Hang in there!  Ox

• Posted

Kelly what side effects of taking campral are you referring to. You won't like what I'm saying, and maybe it's me reading you wrongly , but you seem to have excuses which prevent you taking any medications, or you are always going to do something, then another reason why you cant

I had no side effects with campral at all, the only problem I had was remembering to take them three times a day.

please don't think I'm having a go at you, as that isn't my intention at all.

you must do what is right for you. It's your body to do what you want with it.

• Posted

I am not having any side effects to campral as I did not try it yet. I did have side effects to naltrexone after 3 days.  I said I was going to ask my dr for campral next week to keep on standy by.  

I make NO excuses not to take medications.   My body is extremely sensitive to a lot of stuff.  I can't be out in the sun either or I break out in a huge rash.  Just because you had no side effects to medications does not mean I do not.  I don't need to make excuses for anything. I did enough of that my last go around with drinking back in 2002.  Since then I've been straight forward.

Right now my intention is to get active like I once was. Exercising and horseback riding.  Maybe staying off this forum might do me some good too.  

I'm doing well again with 6 days sober (with baclofen) which is a medication.  

Thank you.  

• Posted

I was referring to your previous post where you said you were planning to ask your doctor for campral, but you don't want to go through possible side effects again. That was why I asked what side effects you were referring to.

if horse riding gets you off alcohol then that's brilliant. Exercise is a great way of getting rid of stress and tension.

personally I wouldn't touch baclofen with a barge pole, but each to our own. Are you sensitive to some types of alcohol, or just medications?

• Posted

Hello Vicky.  I sat back and waited a bit because i wasn't sure I wanted to reply.  I have been in a very good mood during this time of trying to stay sober.  Today is a week and I am very proud of myself the way I'm doing things this time.  

First, just because I tried Naltrexone and it didn't work does not mean I won't try Campral.  I plan to ask my doctor for it next week.

Second, I had to same side effects on Naltrexone as Sue did on Selincrone.  Except I also had very vivid dreams too.

Next, I am sensitive to everything!  There are not many pills I can take.  I cannot be out in the sun.  I have stomach problems so I guess you could say I'm allergic to certain foods.  And when I drink (although it gives me that alcoholic rush) I break out in hives but I'd still drink because that's the insanity of it all.  

There are only 2 antibiotics I can take and I've been Ok on a few other meds.  

I don't know how you decide to stay sober but please do not tell me I'm making excuses.  If I were doing that I wouldn't be clean for a week.  I don't judge you so please don't judge me.  

I don't know how you stay sober if you even are but either way I wish you nothing but the best in your sobriety as we all have different ways of maintaining sobriety.  

Horseback riding and exercise will not get me off alcohol but it will take my mind off of it and I'm hoping to get addicted to something healthy.

If I do not stay sober this time I have agreed to go to rehab so I have a little more pressure on me NOT to drink.

Blessings to you and your journey on sobriety!  I mean that sincerely! 

• Posted

Thank you Robin!  Day 7 and still standing.  I've been through this many times where I make it two weeks and start again but like I told Vicky - I promised if I didn't stay sober this time that I would go to rehab again.  More pressure and a different mindset.  Blessings!!!
    • Posted

Thank you Sue.  I have to tell you that the Naltrexone would be great for anyone who does not have a huge sensitivity to meds like I do.  I felt it working for 3 days and I got excited.  I hope you decide to try it and works for you.  If not, I hope you find YOUR way to maintain sobriety. 

I think in a way it's best the Naltrexone didn't work for me as I probably would have kept drinking and I really want to gain abstinence.

Good luck Sue and keep me posted on how you're doing!!!!

Many Blessings!!!

• Posted

Nope, no more drugs for me.  I never want to repeat that.  Alcohol must be poisoning me in the same way, and as I am not alcohol dependent i will find a way without drugs.  It seems like  I'm taking one poison to control another.  There has to be a better, healthier way.

It's taken until today to stop trembling and I still feel weak, like I'm recovering from severe flu.

Good luck to you too, Kelly.  Seven days is awesome :D

• Posted

I don't understand.....you say you are not alcohol dependent, so why can you just not stop drinking?  It seems strange that you have put yourself through all you have if you didn't need to.  Sorry to be stupid, I just don't understand.
    • Posted

You read my mind! I was just about to post more or less the same as you. I don't understand why sue would take medication unnecessarily. I must be stupid as well Pat
    • Posted

I binge .... When I start I can't stop. My wish was to be able to drink socially. I can go for days. But miss the social side. I wanted the miracle pill I suppose. My bingeing has caused arguments and a family member has attacked me because he was disgusted. All sorts of things have occurred and I drink for all sorts of reasons. I just wanted to be able to have a couple and stop. Selincro sounded perfect. So I bought some a d kept them for months before plucking up courage to take one. I read all about side effects. Watched videos. Listened to others on this forum. Never ever did I think this would happen
    • Posted

Sue

it is possible to go from binge drinking to controlled social drinking, but the chance of it blowing up again is always there.

I was a very heavy binge drinker, two or three months alcohol free then suddenly wham, 3 days lost just drinking and so it went one. The binges then started to become more frequent and the alcohol free days less and less.

i knew I couldn't carry on like that, so I took campral for 12 months which was a godsend. I've had two small binges this year, but with CBT, I've learned to recognise the early warning signs and have strategies to avoid further binges.

i do drink socially now when out, and share wine with my husband most weekends, but I no longer touch spirits.

good luck in whatever you decide to do

• Posted

hi Kelly. 9 days later and I was just wondering how you are keeping. All is still ok with you and sober? Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin.  Thanks for asking about me!  I blew it on Wednesday. My grandmother who raised me ended up in the hospital last Saturday. Slight heart attack, kidneys shutting down and shingles.  I stayed strong until she got home Wednesday and then I just fell apart.  I finally picked up my Campral today.  The pharmacy needed to order it in.  I start seeing a Christian counselor next week.  Figured out I have this mindset that I don't deserve peace and that chaos is a normal part of my life so I need to get that figured out first.  I feel like I continuously let God down. Peace to me feels uncomfortable, lol. I always tried to quit drinking and find peace but I think I need to go about it by getting help and understanding how to feel at ease with peace.  

I'm hanging in there! 

Lots of love and blessings to you for asking about me! <3 

• Posted

Understand your feelings about frandparents...they mean so much. Different values an somebody you can rely on! When they get ill we are so so sad...mine was 97 and had had a good life. She lived through 2 wars!! Born before WW1 but wonderful women and NEVER complaining..we miss her...best of luck and never mind about Wed. ....u can do it! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.