From diazepam to Xanax

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking diazepam for 17 years now, from 5 mg to now 20 mg now. Yesterday I visited my psychaitrist and he wanted me to taper off my diazepam (valium) and take xanax only when needed. I am prescribed with 0.5mg 4x a day as needed. One thing I would like to share is that he told me a research had been done with patients taking benzos for a long period of time are prone to have Alzeimer's disease earlier in their old age like 60 years old. I was freaked out and was panic for the whole day.

I am also concerning about tapering off the diazapam and taking xanax as it is very short acting. My dr didnt give me a schedule for the tapering but just told me to taper off slowly. Anyone taking Xanax or a long user of benzos ? I need advice. Thank you so much for reading.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You're saying that you are taking 20mg of Ativan right now 🤔 is that a typo? 🤔 There's no way any psychiatrist is going to prescribe their patients that high of a dosage of benzos. I've been taking clonazepam 0.5mg four times a day since I was 14 years old and and I'm 41 years old now and there's no concrete evidence to support that people taking benzos for a long period of time end up with alzhiemiers disease since that is something that people are born with. Xanax is a very short acting benzo you're better off just tapering off your Ativan slowly

• Posted

Hi Terri:

I am taking valium , not ativan. I think Valium 5 mg 4x a day. So you are also on benzos for 27 years. Have you stayed on the same dosage? In 2002, I was prescribed with Ativan 3 mg and 5 mg Valium but I tapered off the Ativan in 2014, and it was horrible. The withdrawal symptoms are just horrendous. My psychiatrist just told me about that research, no matter if there is concrete evidence or not and that freaks me out. I will taper off my valium slowly . thank you for replying .

• Posted

I have been taking Xanax 0.25 mg ×3 times per day, as needed for 6 months. I have severe anxiety disorders and mild depression. I told my doctor I need to take the Xanax every day, and he said it is ok. Sometimes, I should stop the Xanax, but no hurry.

• Posted

Hi there.. I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Tuesday morning and I've been taking 0.5 of clonazepam since I was 14 years old and I'm 40 years old now and I don't feel like it's working for me as well as it used to so I know my mom takes Xanax so I 🤔 I'm going to ask my psychiatrist to switch me to Xanax and take me off the clonazepsm because I've been having really bad anxiety attacks and panic attacks for the past few months and I can't stand it anymore.

• Posted

Hi Tracy :

I have severe anxiety and depression as well . For me, Xanax is too short acting but it helps when I am having a panic attack . My dr wants me to get off valium, which is a long acting benzos to Xanax as needed. I can only take 0.5mg x 4 maximum a day. If you have severe anxiety, why don't you keep taking the xanax only as needed ?

• Posted

H magmag,

I am taking Duloxetine, too. When Duloxetine has full effects, and I don't have anxiety anymore, I will taper off Xanax. I am taking Xanax regularly, now, because I have anxiety 24/7.

When Duloxetine fully effects, I just need to keep Xanax in case I have panic attacks.

My doctor said Xanax is to stop anxiety, should not use for long term. Duloxetine (antidepressants) is for preventing anxiety.

• Posted

I've never heard of this medication before. Duloxoxotene. Is it an antidepressant and if so does it help you sleep well and does it make you gain weight or lose weight? 🤔 I'm currently taking zoloft 50mg at night and it's making me lose weight and it helps me sleep at night but it's making my anxiety worse

• Posted

Hi Terri, Duloxetine brand name is Cymbalta. I have been taking it for 6 months, I started at smallest dose 20 mg and went up slowly to 90 mg, now. That is a maximum dose for me (I am 50, female and 100 lbs).

Duloxetine helped me with anxiety and depression. I don't know about the sleeping, yet because the anxiety makes me not able to sleep, so I started taking Ambien for sleep when I started Duloxetine. My doctor said Ambien is safe to use in long term. So, no hurry to stop it.

I was lost 20 lbs. in 3 weeks because of anxiety. Now, I gained it back. So, I don't know if Duloxetine makes me gain weight or not. I ate a lot because my doctor said I must get my weight back.

My friend took Duloxetine for anxiety and depression. It helped her with anxiety, depression and sleep. She is back to normal, now and she stopped the meds.

If you look up on the Internet, Duloxetine might cause liver damage. But, I think the benefits for now is outweighed the risk. Every medications have side effects anyway.

• Posted

Dear Tracy:

Thank you for replying. I am taking lexapro and mirtazapine as my antidepressants. It helps with my anxiety. The reason I am on xanax is because i have been on valium (diazapam) for too long and it has become less effective now. In concerning about having Alzheimer's disease or dementia at earlier old age (according to my dr), he would rather have me on a shorter acting benzos instead of a long acting one. For now, I need to taper off my diazapam slowly and only take xanax as needed.

• Posted

That is a good idea. I hope you will not need to use Xanax at all.

• Posted

Hi there, I've taken both of these meds and the ambien didn't work for me at all and the Cymbalta made me feel suicidal but I'm glad it's working out for you.

• Posted

traci, hi......sorry to REALLY disagree with your doctor about Ambien, but that's a med that definitely is NOT meant for long term use. it's for occasional use when you Just Can't Sleep!

on a personal note.....my daughter had a doctor with that same opinion. after a relatively short period, it wasn't effective, so she started doubling up. WHAT A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE! She'd do the dumbest things after 10-15m....including almost setting the kitchen on fire!!!🔥

Do Not Mess With This Medication.......please.

• Posted

Hi Linda, my doctor said I can take Ambien for long term, but I have to have one night not taking Ambien. So, my body does not need to increase the dose. Now, I am taking 5 mg. He only give me 26 pills per month.

I don't plan to take the Ambien in a long term anyway. When my anxiety is stable, I will taper off.

My doctor said the first thing to do is cut down or stop Xanax, but no hurry because my anxiety is still severe. I still have anxiety 24/7.

• Posted

Hi there, when I was taking ambien or immovane which is the other name for ambien I was taking 15mg of it every night because that's how severe my insomnia is ever since I was 14 years old and I'm 41 years old now and right now I take 60mg of temazepam and 5mg of saphris and I still don't sleep at all at night but when I was taking ambien the only side effects I had was it left a really gross taste in my mouth and made me feel really hungry 15-20 minutes after I would take it I'd be up eating and it only let me sleep for about three hours or so and it wasn't covered by the government it was 65.00 a month but both of my parents take ambien for their insomnia my dad takes 15mg and my mom takes 7.5mg. Severe insomnia is heredity in my family but ambien didn't make me do weird things in my sleep like I've heard it does to some people.

• Posted

My doctor said to take the Ambien when ready in bed. After taking the Ambien, should not do anything, just on bed and close eyes. Some people brushed their teeth after taking the Ambien, they slept in their bathroom with toothbrush in their mouth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.