From diazepam to Xanax

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking diazepam for 17 years now, from 5 mg to now 20 mg now. Yesterday I visited my psychaitrist and he wanted me to taper off my diazepam (valium) and take xanax only when needed. I am prescribed with 0.5mg 4x a day as needed. One thing I would like to share is that he told me a research had been done with patients taking benzos for a long period of time are prone to have Alzeimer's disease earlier in their old age like 60 years old. I was freaked out and was panic for the whole day.

I am also concerning about tapering off the diazapam and taking xanax as it is very short acting. My dr didnt give me a schedule for the tapering but just told me to taper off slowly. Anyone taking Xanax or a long user of benzos ? I need advice. Thank you so much for reading.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi magmag....I've been on valium 20mg p/day for 20+yrs. there are days when I don't take any or maybe only 5mgs, cuz that's all I need. I've NEVER had a problem with it and NEVER misused it. I too suffer from extreme anxiety and this regimen keeps it in check.

as far as the Alzheimer's, my mom died of that about 15yrs ago....so if anyone should have concern, it's me! but I'm 68 and my mom was in her 80's when she passed.....I can't live my life worrying about what will (hopefully) never happen!

• Posted

You take 20mg of Valium every day? 🤔 That's a really high dose.. I take 0.5mg of clonazepam 4x a day since I was 14 years old and I'm 41 years old now but most of the time I only take it 3x a day because I'm trying to cut back on it a bit. I'm really sorry 🙏 to hear about your mom hun 💯 ❤️. My husband's mom passed away from the same thing when she was 60 years old (five years ago) but she was bipolar and took a very high doseage of lithium and nobody else in her family has ever had alzhiemiers or dementia and she had been on a very high dose of lithium since she was a little girl and a lot of other very strong mind alerting medications so I am not even sure if it was really "alzhiemiers and dementia that was her demise I think 🤔 her mind just gave out on her because I think she abused her meds for a long time. There's no link between long term use of meds like Valium and clonazepam and alzhiemiers and dementia at all I really wish people would stop putting that in people's minds because half the world is taking these meds and alzhiemiers and dementia is something that people are born with it has nothing to do with meds.

• Posted

hi terri,

yes, I'm prescribed 20mg p/day....10 in am and 10 at bed. However, as I said, I rarely take more than 10 a day (I break it in half), cuz I only take them when needed. Honestly, I think I just like knowing I've got them.....kinda a security blanket😁. I'm always afraid they'll stop prescribing, so I pick them up even if I'm not out of them.....does that make sense?

And unfortunately, right now, I don't need ANYMORE stress......about 3mo ago my oldest daughter was LITERALLY on life support and in a coma (they still don't know why!!)....she's a fighter and miraculously pulled thru but is Still in the hospital. About 3da after she was admitted to the hospital, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma😢.......it's been a rough few months.

anyway, my mom didn't drink, take any medication, and there's no history of Alzheimer's or Dementia in our family.......so go figure.

sorry for rambling. I guess I had more to say than I thought!😱

• Posted

Hi Lynda:

Thank you for replying. We are on the same dose except I am taking it everyday whereas you will take only as needed. Do you find it less effective since you have taken it for more than 20 years. Because for me, it has become less effective than before . It doesnt feel the same anymore. I am going to taper off the valium slowly. I am freak out when the dr told me about the research about the Alzheimer's disease on people using benzos for a long period of time. Hope you won't get it.

• Posted

hey magmag....

no, I don't find it less effective....not sure why, except we all react differently to different medications.

but if you're going to taper off, PLEASE do it slowly. I'm talking like maybe 1 or 2mg p/mo! better to go slow and avoid problems.

as far as the Alzheimer's, there's been NO conclusive evidence this is true. it angers me that it's even being spoken about at this point. my mom passed about 15yrs ago from Alzheimer's, and she didn't drink or take ANY medication......

you'll be fine. I'm sending you good wishes and big hugs!

• Posted

Dear Lynda:

Thank you for replying. I think I have found it less effective maybe because I have been taking the high dose everyday. I actually started from 5 mg per day upped to 20mg nowadays. Yes, I will taper it REALLY slowly to avoid the terrible side effect. Although my dr has suggested to hospitalize me for the tapering but I rejected.

About the Alzheimer's , I have no offense of pulling this out bur to share what my dr had told me yesterday and just wanted to discuss about it with all the warriors here. I wish you well too ! Take care !

• Posted

Omg I'm so sorry 🙏 hun, I had no idea what was going on in your life. I'm so glad your daughter has pulled through and hopefully she'll be out of the hospital soon enough and able to come back home and be with mommy where she belongs. I can't imagine what you must be going through right now hun. As far as you're diagnosis of lymphoma goes do you know what stage you are in if you don't mind me asking you this and what were you're symptoms before you got diagnosed with lymphoma because I've been having a lot of health issues myself and it causing me so much anxiety right now because I don't have anymore answers all I know is that I have to go get my third set of blood tests done in two weeks and go from there and I don't have to family 😷 tight now so I've just had to keep going to the walk in clinic and see the same doctor 😷 there. I'm hoping it's not my kidneys or something like that. It's keeping me up all night long just thinking about it. Becuse my daughter us only 10 years old and if something ever happens to me I don't want her living with her dad. I hdvd Eloy in my plate right now too hun 💯 ❤️. I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to

• Posted

hi Terri,

as for the lymphoma, that diagnosis hit like a ton of bricks!! I'd gone for a reg check-up and had the reg bloodwork done.

the next day I get a phone call to set me up with a hematologist for more extensive bloodwork.....now I'm starting to stress.

NEXT I'm being setup for a bone marrow biopsy.....now I'm frantic!

End result? I'm told I've got a "slow progressive" type of lymphoma...I lost it😢😢.

Doc. said he didn't even want to start treatment yet. for time being, we're just monitoring it by monthly bloodwork. if there's no changes.....after the holidays he'll re-access.

so, to answer your question, I didn't have any symptoms. am I terrified?

YES!!

• Posted

What did your blood work say to determine it was some kind of lymphoma? 🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.