From the other side

Posted , 6 users are following.

Many of us have posted how much we appreciate our partners and the support given to us. This I hope echoes what they feel:

-FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Give me your shoulder to cry on

I want to take your pain

If only for a while

To experience your life

to understand

Your daily battles, your fears your aspirations.

In sickness and in health we promised

Little did we know the challenges ahead

Such easy words to say when all is well

So difficult to live.

Your dignity is compromised

I hate to see it so

I struggle with your acceptance of the way your life is now

Tis hard for those who care my dear

But care I do with pride

For you are the one I married love, until death do us divide.

7 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Next
  • Posted

ahh what beautiful words so lovely put what a gem you are with words I love it you are so talented.
    • Posted

Not talented just find it easier to write than to say it.  Fibro fog makes me get all tongue tied and words come out totally wrong - you know the feeling...all fibro folk do!
    • Posted

I know that feeling very well but I still think you are very talented and how you put things. Im dont find it easy putting things into words and especially pen to paper. but its something you are very good at.
  • Posted

My husband has just read what you have wrote and he has said that resinates with him it puts into words how he feels. he said well done to you 
    • Posted

sometimes I feel we need  to think about the fact that fibro impacts on those around us too. All too often they are silently suffering as much as we are and feel helpless.  Glad he could appreciate the words.
    • Posted

Ive never been a selfish person and Ive always thought and looked after other. but since having fibro I must admit my focus has been on myself I will certainly start to think of how this affecting my husband and the inpact its having on him. I know he struggles alot of the time with me being ill bless him its not his fault or mine. I do appreciate all that he does. ut I think your right we have to think about our loved ones and the impact it has on them. 
  • Posted

I have to admit I dont always see things from my husbands side of things and how all of this is affecting him and how hes feeling. because we are so wrapped up with how we are feeling we dont always appreciate what their going through and how its affecting them. its certainly made me sit up and open my eyes to how my poor husband is feeling and what hes going through. so beautifully put maggers well done you
    • Posted

It is difficult finding the balance and not allowing fibro take over and define who we are. I use a number scale so that I don't have to give details of every ache and pain. The scale runs from 1-5 so people then know what sort of day I am having without needing to spell it out.  Works well for work colleagues who haven't any interest in knowing the details.
    • Posted

thats a very good idea I think I will put that into practice. 
    • Posted

Hi Maggers; thankyou, too, from me....you've got me really thinking.....firstly, I do understand how my husbands is "pushing" himself physically to support me (both financially and physically)...and know he is ready for retirement from the very heavy work he does ( a civil construction carpenter...builds bridges etc).....and secondly, how do you manage working? what type of work do you do and how many hours?  I did further study to try and be able to work and assist financially....but I am soooo unreliable, healthwise, that I don't know how to find something suitable....have tried being a "check-out chick" and thoroughly enjoyed the people/team contact...but that too became impossible, after developing the tendonites.....any ideas would be gratefully appreciated....redfaceBron
    • Posted

Hi Bron, just read this, I am not sure of your work background but If you were a nurse, what about, part time or back up in a medical practise. If any one would be understanding, you would hope it would be them. The other alternative is working for someone in alternative health area. Sorry just rambling thoughts, as you seem quite knowledgeable in the medical field.

Meg

🌸

• Posted

I used to have a highly stressful job in the legal world.  Then for many years I worked for a vet. Both jobs long gone as the pressure too much in legal and the physical working for a farm vet became impossible.  So now I work in a country store, talking (which I can do for England) to customers about their animals offering medicinal and dietary advice and also working behind the till, helping customers with equipment advice etc. I only work 3 afternoons and all day Saturday. If I could I wouldn't work at all but needs must.  So far the only time I have had off was for surgery on my leg last year.   Fortunately the IBS and nausea seem to strike me on my days off or early mornings for a few hours so have managed to get to work.  Occasionally I do paperwork from home which is great or I may get to go out and deliver something.  I cannot sit for long so it is  important that I can move around. I'm not the person I was but I can  still give something to the working community.  Luckily I am at the end of my working life so only have a few more years to go - if I make it that far I will be shouting from the rooftops, but I am realistic and know that at best I  have another year or so in me.  Financially I  need to keep going.
    • Posted

Thanks Maggers; I needed to hear that you would give up if you felt you could afford to...I was beginning to think I was being lazzy/over sensitive to my Fibro....if others can manage to work still, what's wrong with me?   Yes I worked in Nursing for over 30 years ( ran a large ED for the last 10)....but cannot now keep my registration, as the new laws here in Australia say that you have to have done at least 200 hours per year to keep your registration....hence that not possible (I even enquired re doing a Refresher Course & try educating for a few hours a week, but no, they wanted me to do the Complete Course again, which mean't 4 years at uni, which would also include my Practical work on the wards...too heavy workload for me)....then I did other studies for Natural Therapy ...counselling/Personality Therapy Treatments etc, but that too became an issue, as I couldn't be relied on to be able to be there when my clients/patients needed me....and yes, also did a Medical Administration Diploma in the hope of working in a Surgery/Clinic...but the same issues....can't do it every day (which is what Clinics need)....I am still teaching myself All the Ins and Outs of computers.....you can't imagine how excited I was when I sent my first email about 3 years ago....biggrin....but just can't grasp the "Pasteing" bit...have printed out "The How To" from the intenet..but still just can't seem to find out the "nuts and bolts" of it all.....I have always been a "hands on learner/in-class student"..so a bit of a stuggle with trial and a lot of errors.....Aah well will just keep trialling..............will be putting this babe to bed soon, so until next time ............Bron
    • Posted

Come on Bron - chin up. You are not lazy. Perhaps you could offer a mentoring service to young student nurses. Go into schools and talk about a career in nursing.  My dog was a registered PAT dog (Pets as Therapy) and we used to go into schools, nursing homes etc to talk to residents. Ok so not paid but gave me something to do and gave me back 10 fold in feel good factor.  Children who are slow readers and get embarassed by reading to adults will read to the dog. You do have something to offer it is just finding the way in.  One question on the nursing - you say you have to complete so many hours, surely there is an exemption for those who medically cannot?  How about helping with the admin at the vaccination clinics for babies or other clinics that run occasionally rather than every day?  
    • Posted

Hi bronwyn Im unable to work and feel so guilty bad about it. I use to work as a care but could no longer do it before that I ran a play group and did some secretary work. I wouldnt last 10  mins working now. 
    • Posted

Hi bronwyn I agree with maggers I am sure  you could put your knowledge to good use like speaking to pupils in a secoundry school about nurseing as a career, and how to get started into nusing what qualifications you nedd etc put your knowledge to good use. you have alot to offer with the knowledge you have. it doesnt have to be something thats regular.I help to raise funds for the brirish heart foundation by collecting unwanted items and giving them to bhf to sell in their shops, I think passing on what skills you have to youngsters would be a good thing and make you feel good also  
    • Posted

Hi Bron have you tried doing a short course for computer skills, just to refine your skills. I use an IPad and so pasting is really easy, just a matter of touching, copying and pasting. I know proper PCs have much more complicated word processors.
    • Posted

Morning Maggers; those too, we used to have, clinics for vaccinations etc, but now, here, all are done in/by GPs and their clinics/trained Registered nurses......and no, there was Not even a question for me being able to do anything with AAPRA, as the Registration Board is called, to allow me to handle any medications/even be Near them, as I'm on the Registrar for taking meds myself, and due to security issues (which I can understand, as the temptation for addicts to steal drugs has always been an iissue within the Medical field.  even Chemists etc...have seen it myself from staff,)   so nope....afraid, as with all WHS legislation in  Australia, I'm afraid tha's why I'm still Thinking what I can do.....as I've prob said before, even volunteering needs to be registered, now, due to criminalspaedophiles etc  being found in/around schools/ nursing homes/carers etc.....  agh well    will  keep thinking..........lol and hoping you are ALL sleeping on the other side.........Bron
    • Posted

In the uk if you want to work in places with children and adults you have to have  a DBR check its where your checked on police records to see if you have a criminal record and if so what for. I think its only right and proper these checks are done we have to protect the children and vunerable members in our society.No sleep last night bron in pain with back couldnt get comforable and my husband wouldnt stop snoring little does he know hes sleeping on the sofa tonightlol gentle hugs takecare hope you manage to sleep ok
    • Posted

Soon funny, my husband has to sleep in the guest bedroom sometimes...but I can still hear the snoring...he thinks he doesn't do it...sooooo funny..it's the same here in Australia for anyone who works any where children might be...police checks...it's just amazing, the huge problem is, how some peadophiles  choose careers in places where their around children and have no police record when they start their employment...grooming these poor children...:-) xx
    • Posted

Hi Maggers how are you doing? hope your not in too pain and discomfort hope you have a good weekend take care gentle hug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.