Frozen shoulder?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've had right shoulder pain for 3 months and it's getting worse. I can't sleep on my right as side and if I wake up on my right side I'm in agony. If I lay on my left side, it hurts if I lower my right arm in front of me. I went to the doctor a month ago and he seems to think it's related to my early osteoarthritis in my neck. The pain is constant and no over the counter painkillers work. I've tried creams but the massage helps me more than the creams. How can you tell if it is a frozen shoulder? It came out of the blue, no heavy lifting just housework. Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Frozen shoulder can happen at anytime it creeps up slowly and its the most painful thing ever... you cannot sleep at night and eventually you can't move your arm in any direction because the pain is so intense. It's defo not your neck osteoarthritis ... you need to get referred to an MSK team (muscular skeletal team) they will do ultra sound and if it's diagnosed as frozen shoulder which it almost is they will treat it..... I have had frozen shoulder and had to have operation 18 months of hell and now other shoulder has started and pain again is off the richter scale... going to see MSK team again this week... good luck with your arm

• Posted

Hi Maureen

Many thanks for replying. Frozen shoulder is a term I've often heard but I hadn't realize the intensity or severity of the pain that it causes. I will see my doctor again hopefully tomorrow evening, if I can get in. So sorry you are suffering with this yet again. I'll let you know how I get on. Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes go back to the doctors and ask for referral to orthopaedics dont take no for an answer...... Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Jayn. I can relate very much to your issue. I currently have a problem with my right shoulder, although unlike you I know when this started, with a really stupid moment of madness of mine, climbing on the arm of a chair in the garden to reach an overhanging branch, and the chair consequently sliding. causing me to grab the fence, wrenching my arm and shoulder. However, having had a rotator cuff issue four years ago, I was reluctant to go down the same path, as I think the delay in prompt treatment probably worsened the situation as this had been going on for two years before I finally ended up with surgery as I had a large rotator cuff tear. I did as you did this time, a prompt visit to the GP who assumed that 'not much damage' had been done as I had a full range of movement, even though it was very painful; visited a physiotherapist who advised gentle exercise and anti-inflammatory meds along with icing. None of these made any difference and in fact the pain got worse, resulting in the external rotation becoming virtually impossible. I pushed for a referral and the consultant thought a cortisone injection would help (It did for the first shoulder years ago but very temporary as was this one). He actually wanted to discharge me but having had a similar issue previously, I was not wanting to be out of the system as it would take so long to get back in (I'm in the UK). I requested another appointment to let him know the pain had come back and he arranged another scan led cortisone jab, and all the while I am following instructions; exercise etc. However, when this was done. I asked a lot of questions, and the radiographer told me that there was a lot of wear and tear on my collarbone, and it was akin to a knife rubbing along a rope and even if I got relief from this second injection, it would re-occur. This was followed up by a physiotherapist appointment arranged by the consultant. I am over six months since the injury, and she has finally confirmed what I knew all along. Any exercise other than very gentle would worsen the situation - possibly resulting in a tear, the longer it was left (as I think happened with my first shoulder as I was only meant to have a subacromial decompression then, not a tear repair). She has referred me back to the consultant as she feels for this shoulder also, this will be necessary sooner rather than later. The recovery time from this surgery, should it prove necessary is so much quicker than a rotator cuff tear repair. So, in a nutshell, what I am trying to say, is if you are not getting any better, and I really know how bad this can be, trying to function every day with very little sleep on a regular basis, you need to push for further investigations to be carried out. I know you shouldn't rush in with treatment that could prove unnecessary, but also it doesn't pay to let an issue go on indefinitely with no improvement. Sorry for the rant-like post, but I feel very strongly that patients are left with a very poor quality of life as shoulder issues are a real b****er to deal with.

• Posted

Thank you Jaycee for taking the time to reply and for your thought provoking advice. I have seen my doctor but he thinks my neck arthritis is causing my shoulder problem. I am to start physiotherapy. At least I will have more time with the physiotherapist and I will be able to ask more questions. I don't think I was with him for more than five minutes today, I actually came out from the surgery at my appointment start time.

I hope all goes well for you with your shoulder problems, sounds like you've had a really rough time, kind of puts my issues in perspective. Take care x.

• Posted

Hi Jayn .... Jaycee is right

The doctors don't know anything about frozen shoulders you need to push for referral to see a consultant you need ultra sound or MRI it depends how far its gone it won't get better with just physio..... I am on my second frozen shoulder (first one had to operate) this one is worse I cry with the pain and don't sleep but we can't keep taking painkillers.... I am going to see MSK team this Friday and asking for a new treatment that has become available if I get it I will post on here ...... I had hydrodialation for first FS which could work if it's done soon enough mine was too far gone hence operation... I don't intend to let this get that far good luck Jayn

• Posted

Hi everyone

I saw my doctor today and explained everything. He did just one arm test, raising my arm straight upwards, and although painful once my arm was vertical, I was able to do it. I thought he would put me through a range of arm movements but he didn't. He thinks my shoulder pain is caused by my neck arthritis and my recent x ray shows a slight deterioration from the one I had a year ago. I am to have physiotherapy.

I will give if a try and go from there but I am a bit wary if I'm honest because when I had physio for my neck a year ago I had to stop going because it was making me giddy and one of the exercises I was given to do was not correct for neck arthritis when I looked it up online. If I don't see any improvement I will see another doctor. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated. I hope you all continue to make good progress. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi everyone

Since I last posted, my right shoulder has been probably worse, especially when in bed. I cannot sleep on my right side at all, the pain is just too much. However, I saw my physiotherapist for the first time today and she was amazing. She asked lots of questions and put my arm through a whole range of movements. She said it is not a frozen shoulder or PMR, I have too much movement in my right arm for any of those, in fact she said what I have is quite common and it boils down to poor posture. She said my ball and socket joint in my right shoulder was noticably drooping forward compared to my left shoulder. I have been laying down on my left side a lot in bed watching tv on my tablet and writing in my journal and this has contributed to it and the fact that I have worked on a computer for many years causing forward head posture.. She said I am also round shouldered. She also said the problem was not connected to my neck arthritis because she put me through a range of neck movements which did not cause my right shoulder to be painful. She has given me just two exercises to do until my next appointment. She hopes there will be a vast improvement in 12 weeks with more exercises to strengthen the muscle in my shoulder and something about opening the space up, she went into more detail than that but I cannot remember all she told me. I have complete faith in her because she seemed to know what she was talking about and boosted my confidence no end. I thought I'd let you know because you have all been so kind with your responses and sharing your issues with me. Also I hope it may help others who have been undiagnosed and wondering what if, like me. I hope you are all doing well. Kinds regards

• Posted

Hi everyone

So here I am again, I've had three physio sessions and at the last one a week ago my physio gave me an additional two exercises to do and I haven't been able to do them since because my shoulder pain has become worse. She puts me through a range of shoulder movements each time i go so if it was a frozen shoulder she would know, right? She's noticed my affected shoulder is causing a weakness in that arm. Tonight I've taken my otc pain killers with little effect, the pain is travelling across the top of my shoulder going to my neck. Sometimes my shoulder feels stiffer than other times and range of movement can vary. At times I have struggled to comb my hair or lift the kettle, but not all the time. I dare not sleep on the affected side because it's agony. I have not had an xray on my shoulder or anything else. I don't know what to do. My doctor thinks its caused by my neck arthritis but my physio disagrees. This has been going on since just before Christmas. From your experiences do you have any thoughts please? Thank you.

• Posted

First off, glad you're doing better. Secondly, Wow. I just finished reading your story, and I gotta tell you -- from your initial description, I would have bet the farm that you had Frozen Shoulder. But when you said that the doc was able to bring your arm all the way up (painfully), that's when I had to agree that this was something different. But in any case, pain is pain, so let's address that. I'm a cortisone success story, so I have to make that suggestion -- but I'm quite aware that others have not had the same results. The cortisone does not cure the problem, but tamps down the inflammation so you can get to the work yourself. I wonder if it would help you with your therapy? As for sleeping, during the worst times, I sleep on an old-fashioned squishy hot water bottle (but some people swear by ice packs!). My husband introduced me to lidocaine patches, which work, but I prefer Woodlock oil (stinks to high heaven but really helps the pain). Unfortunately, the pathology of arthritis is different than FS, so the standard FS stretching/exercises/advice may not translate for you. But you have friends in the painful-shoulder-community who will give you one-armed hugs and encouragement.Sleep well, and take an ibuprofenPM.

• Posted

Thank you for replying Hoosier. I've recently been thinking about asking my doctor about a cortisone injection. Whether he will give it to me, I'm not sure. He doesn't like you suggesting things to him. It's starting to get me down a bit though. I bought some CBD oil today so I'm going to try that. It not a strong one, got if from Boots the chemist. I will look into the other treatments you mentioned too. My physio said what I have is common, she sees it all the time, it's my ligaments, wear and tear, all part of aging. If this is common then we must all be walking around like a load of junkies, high on painkillers. Ah well, upwards and onwards so they say. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi everyone

The saga continues, my shoulder is agony until I take otc pain relief and that's not great. My range of movement is worse, I even find combing my hair a challenge and cannot lift a cup of tea with one hand, some of the time. Even my neck pain is worse and I get a muzzy head with it. I am pacing myself throughout the day making the most of my 'windows', so to speak.

Further to my physio appointment when I was given additional exercises to do my arm has become worse. i think the exercises have actually made it worse. When I last visited my physio, three week later, I explained I had been unable to do any exercises at all so I was sent for a shoulder x ray. That came back ok, no arthritis or bone spurs evident. I have been told it's tendinitis although even I know that cannot be detected with an xray. I am seeing a more senior physiotherapist this week for further assessment with a view to a cortisone injection, that is my physio's recommendation. This has been going on since before Christmas and my pain is now worse, I am now wondering if I have a frozen shoulder.

Hope everyone is coping well.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Can your arm be lifted by someone else? You mentioned before that your physiotherapist put you through a full range of motion; is this still possible, or is there a stopping point? That's usually the "tell" for Frozen Shoulder - not just pain, but also a mechanical inability to move. If so, perhaps you started out with a shoulder malady (bursitis, tendinitis, arthritis) but then it morphed into FS? Either way, the cortisone should help any of those issues, providing they inject it in the right place. Keep asking your doctor questions. Remember, it is the Servant who accepts the wages and the Master who pays them. You are paying for their service.

• Posted

Hi Hoosier

Thank you for replying. At my appointment last week, she asked me to do certain movements on my own. I held my arms out in front of me and had to raise them to my head. My right arm couldn't go further than waist height unlike before when it went higher. However, I just tried it again and although the pain and stiffness started at the same spot, I was able to raise my arm higher. I can do it better laying down?? Sometimes my range of movement is worse than other times, can be any time of the day. She also had me putting my arms out to the sides with elbows tucked by my waist, again my right arm was more restricted than my left arm. Putting my arms behind my back and reaching up as far as I could, again restricted in my right arm. She said it is tendinitis. If I accidentally nudge my shoulder against something it is really painful so I am very wary of standing near to someone. if I do bump it I could cry with the pain, I have done. I have been using my left arm for some housework, even filling the kettle because my right arm won't take the weight, but not all the time?? Sometimes I have to use my left arm to raise my right arm to comb my hair and use my heated irons, but again not all the time??

When I see the new physio this week I hopefully will get more answers. I hope it is tendinitis because FS sounds horrendous. I've tried cold ointments, heat ointments, cold sprays, cold patches, hot patches, frozen peas, hot wheat bag, CBD oil but nothing seems to help. Cold seems to make it hurt more so above anything else I prefer the wheat bag. I sleep on my left side or back, dare not sleep on my right side. I take 4 anadin extra each day and they help but the pain is always there. No swelling, no redness or rash, no feeling of heat.

Thank you for taking the time to read, just sounding off actually helps me. I will let you know how I get on after my appointment on Wednesday.👍

• Posted

Just to let you know I've seen another physio, he put me through a range of movements and agrees with the other physio that it's tendonitis of the shoulder which is contributing to my neck pain. I am to continue with my exercises that don't cause me any pain. I am to have a cortisone injection next week. Sending my thanks and best wishes to all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.