Frozen shoulder?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've had right shoulder pain for 3 months and it's getting worse. I can't sleep on my right as side and if I wake up on my right side I'm in agony. If I lay on my left side, it hurts if I lower my right arm in front of me. I went to the doctor a month ago and he seems to think it's related to my early osteoarthritis in my neck. The pain is constant and no over the counter painkillers work. I've tried creams but the massage helps me more than the creams. How can you tell if it is a frozen shoulder? It came out of the blue, no heavy lifting just housework. Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm curious to know any updates on this?

I hurt my shoulder back in February, twice within in a few days! I gradually noticed over the next couple of weeks that my movements were getting more and more restricted. I thought I'd pulled a muscle and it would just need time to get better but after two months and becoming even more painful and unable to sleep on that side I eventually went to the doctor. She said it was a frozen shoulder and referred me for an ultrasound. Unfortunately I was told by the hospital that there was quite a long waiting list for this procedure.

Because of the pain and lack of sleep (and recovering from another minor op) I decided to go private. I had an ultrasound led injection (hydrodistension procedure with Depomedrone). Well actually it was two injections, the first of which was in the back of my shoulder and was the most painful thing I have ever felt!! He said he must've hit the edge of the inflamed area (felt like he was trying to go right through the muscle!) but the worse part was trying to hold my arm in one position while he did it. Like fighting against all your natural instinct to move something that causes you pain! By the time he finished my arm had seized up and I couldn't move it. I agreed he could still do the second injection to the front of the shoulder and just to get it over with! Luckily that one wasn't as bad.

The next day, I was in quite a bit of pain and even less movement but by that evening I was back to being about the same as I had been before the procedure. He had warned me it could take a while maybe even a few weeks to notice an improvement.

Nothing much really changed for quite a while but now just under 3 months after the injections and I am noticing an improvement. I can definitely lift my arm higher, not getting the pain and muscle spasms down the arm and I can even sleep on that side (if I get into just the right position). I still can't move my arm behind my back though, seems that is going to take some time to happen.

I really don't know if it was the injections that helped or if it's just time that heals but seeing how some people can have this so painfully for a year or more, I'm just happy that 6 months on and although I still don't have full movement at least I'm not in so much pain anymore.

I hope things have improved for you?

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Sorry but I only just read your post. I had sort of given up because messages seem far between.

My physo sent me for an x ray on my shoulder, no arthritis, she said tendonitis. Because I was not responding to physio she sent me for a cortisone shot in my shoulder. The shot was ok but I felt an immediate rush to my head which gave me a muzzy head feeling. That was 5 weeks ago and since then I have been getting headaches, dizziness, tiredness and heightened anxiety. The pain went but as soon as I started my exercises I felt the pain again. I've stopped exercising and my shoulder is ok again, just feel it niggling now and again. Movement is back to normal. I have a follow up appointment in a week. One thing is for sure, I will never have a cortisone shot again, I'd rather put up with the pain.

Hope your doing ok!

• Posted

Hi jayn36190,

I have osteoporosis. I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder. My doctor showed me a couple of exercises to do and recommended that I see a physiotherapist. I said no because I was sick of doctors (2 hip replacements at different times). I also knew that an injection of some form or another would be offered and I didn't want more chemicals pumped into my body. Just no.

I went on YouTube and found lots of exercises to do. As painful as it was I did the ones that I liked and a couple I didn't. If it was suggested that I do 5 movements, I did 2. I might have only done one but I did something every day. Toilet duties were a challenge too. It took about 6 months before I could lift my arm over my head, put on a shirt or jacket. There were many times when I wished I didn't have to wear a bra let alone a sweater. I still have trouble sleeping on my side but I can sleep on it for a few hours before I need to turn over. After 8 months I'm not 100% back to the way things used to be. I still do the exercises. My doctor told me that phone texting is really bad for the shoulder so I will stop here. Good luck. I hope you are better soon.

• Posted

HI,

I am on month 9 and still dealing with this. I do 6 different exercises every day and my range of motion has improved a bit but sleeping on the affected side is still a no go. I also have osteoarthritis in my affected shoulder according to the extras so I assume that will slow down progress. I try to do normal things as much as I can...even went kayaking altho admit my husband did a lot more than i did in our 2 person kayak. I hesitate to do any kind of procedures as I have heard horror stories and from everything I have read, the best course is just time with daily exercises. Waiting it out is the hardest thing and I guess if it goes longer than a year I might get another medical opinion. This truly is a horrible condition to contend with.

• Posted

Hi aetl,

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I was like you, couldn't comb my hair, had to use my left hand to lift my right hand to comb my hair. Couldn't hang clothes on the line, couldn't fill the kettle or even lift a cup of tea. Couldn't scratch my back. I was convinced it was a frozen shoulder but my physio was convinced it was tendonitis, her colleague agreed with her . I had a cortisone shot and by two days later the pain was almost gone. I have full movement now but horrible side effects following the shot. If you read my other post you'll see what I mean.

Hope you are doing ok!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.