Frozen shoulder 2nd chance operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi Michelle. jon. piper and barbara

did a new post as i have asked the moderators if i can post a picture post op. it seems i can.

first off thanks for the messaging and support. it does help when people know what ache is and how bad it gets.

had the 20 pages of questions and the hour phone call about what's to happen, sorted physio at a local spires hospital today in cambridge.

got the immobiliser sized up and ready, got a tray of large ice blocks ready post op for the machine to freeze down the operation site and reduce swelling.

mentally ready again for a civil war against the shoulder. i hope this time its a winner for me.

the surgeon is going to have a rummage to find out why the capsular release kind of failed (ACR). and why the tendon has failed to recover ( bicep long head ). post operation.

my wife thinks its "wasp gate".

first operation right shoulder ( 2nd frozen ) . a wasp stung me leg 6 days pre operation and i got blood poisoning and it was nearly cancelled.

second operation ( ACR and SAD) left shoulder. a wasp tried to sting me day 10 post operation and i flicked my arm as a instinct reaction. torn my shoulder and dropped my shoulder blade out.

was told post operation the GH joint will be fragile for 6 weeks as there would be nothing holding it together and high chance of dislocation if i moved sharply ( i did ).

me and wasps and operations just don't mix. wife thinks this is why the tendon has failed to recover. wasp damage lol.

so this week keep away from wasps and next week keep the window closed.

into the final week at last so i hope could i hope for ache free !!!!!. its going to give me 20 weeks off work to recover so back early october. this is a tortoise recovery time line.

so 5th may here i come

colin

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Edited

wasp gate was definitely a challenging issue. i didn't want to laugh but your description was kind of funny.

frozen shoulder is always a time consuming healing issue .

i hope your up coming shoulder surgery repairs all the wasp damage and more , and healing journey that ends all the pain.

both my shoulders have had frozen shoulder. to many times. the rotator cuffs are now both torn and i actually did my first frozen shoulder when i was using a electric edger hand held to trim the garden hedges. i was so excited to get one for my bd and went out to the garden and trimmed probably 15 hedges. back and fourth over and over and the hedges all looked great. didn't feel a thing that night . the next morning could not move my arms at all. and you know the rest of the story...

sending good vibes for the upcoming surgery and i hope the frozen ice block works out ok.

keep us posted.

• Edited

Hi Barbara

yup operations and wasps are an issue with me lol.

glad you can see the sense of humour i still have. even when its dark and really achey i can still see a light. and have a sense of humour about it.

have you not had the rotator cuff looked at yet or operated on.

with me i think its also my job that is holding the recovery back.

i have taken this route now as post operation it gives me 5 - 6 months rest and recovery.

colin

• Edited

hope everyone had a good bank holiday.

bank holiday done and no wasps "yay". things are on the up .

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz was that a wasp lol.

just finished the very last job on the house. taken 8 years to build single handed or should it be single shoulder lol.

past two weeks lisa just mentioned it was like i was nesting and getting ready for something.

got just one day tomorrow. then wednesday i transfer over all me problems with tenants and turn the phone off for the first time ever.

going to have a bit of me time recovering ( did you here that was it a wasp ) lol. na an aeroplane .

have a team in Histon Cambridgeshire ready to take over me physio. god knows how much they charge ( spire healthcare own physio team).

clocks ticking.

colin

• Posted

Hi Colin, they'll never take your sense of humour that's for sure.

All good here, and a great BH, even though the weather hasn't done anything to impress. Still, managed to get plenty of walking done.

Shoulder continues to ease little by little (and I mean little) but any progress is good right?

You have come so far on your journey, its apparent that it has consumed you. To carry on working despite everything you've endured is a testament to your resilience and tenacity.

I'm confident that with the Spire care in your corner, you stand every chance of a full recovery this time round!!

Stay in touch Colin, sending positivity and healing your way ✨️ 🙏

• Edited

wishing you all the luck in the world, you deserve it after all you have been through.let us know how you get on

• Edited

I am staying in. I’m not staying in I am staying in. I’m not staying in

could they make their mind up now i am staying. and it save me £200 doing so. why !!!

the wife was booked at a spa 5 mins down the road while she waited. £100 for a day room 10am till 4pm plus treatments lol.

hey she is me rock. now she has to drive home lol

looks like i am first on the cutting table yay.

colin

• Edited

hi Michelle

even the radiographer said i had the wrong vocation as he stuck me in the joint.

had him in hysterics lol.

i will post from the recovery. hey nothing else yo do ( hold on can here that wasp again lol)

DIVE

just re fitted the immobiliser again as a trial. lisa cut the seam of the sleeve. it now works. yay

look out for the wasp ho i mean post on thursday..

60 hours to go .

stay safe

colin

• Posted

Morning Colin!!

Twas the night before surgery!!

How are you feeling dude?

I know you're more than ready for this. Have you got your overnight bag packed or are you still in for the day?

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Wishing you well and sending healing and positive vibes your way.

You got this Colin 🦾

• Edited

good morning Michelle

just checked in to the spire hotel lol. got me room sorted.

yup i good. last week felt like i was being stamped on.

operations don't bother me ??!! now. all good to go now just need this cut and bolted.

thanks for the mail. will message later this evening when awake and post a picture. that will scare you.

colin

• Edited

good morning Michelle

i stayed up most of the night. i had to i was pain free. i had to sample normal life lol .

revisit to frozen capsule. re cut back and front and took more capsule away= more range.

took off the bicep tendon and refixed to the humeral head

nasty anaesthetic throat and cough then they injected my scalene nerve it took three goes by two people to get it right that was a toe curler

my arm is still dead as a dodo and will be for the rest of the day yay no pain

I will post a picture on this post and I hope he gets through the moderators of me laying in bed recovering pain-free

colin

• Edited

what a result Colin. This is great news to read on a Friday!!

yup, enjoy being pain free and long may it continue.

Let's hope you can put all this behind you, arm included 😆💪🥂

• Edited

Hi michelle

re amend the fixing position lol

he cut through the pecs major muscle and fixed tendon the that Anchor point there with a krakow fixing !!!!!!,,,...

cutting muscle i am black and blue lol but pain free.

as I am not dependent on a bone fixture it will repair eight weeks earlier ish .

now to bed in that brace lol

colin

• Edited

also what a piece of kit.

the operation was done with me in a beach chair.

just google beach chair operation shoulder.

thank god i was a sleep lol

colin

• Edited

Hey Colin, i always look forward to your updates and positivity 💪

As Piper said you so deserve to recover from this purgatory that you've endured for what is it, 41 months?

How you have kept up with your chipper attitude is beyond me. You're inspirational.

You mentioned in one if your other posts about neck issues. Yup, I've got a clicks neck since having shoulder issues. My neck is like a safety cap on a bottle of paracetamol! Just clicks when I turn it.

I think having fibromyalgia has a lot to do with it too, as this affects your muscles, tendons and basically any soft tissue.

I'm now waiting for an ultrasound to look at the tendons in my shoulder with some aided cortisone injections. If these fail, it could be keyhole surgery (optional)

As I posted recently, my ROM has greatly improved from when it first froze but I'm a long way from being normal range. I'm also pain free in the shoulder with just a bit of tenderness at times. When I think back to my darkest days when it was at its worst, I could weep.

Piper how are you doing? I saw your post about cycling. All I will say to that is, do whatever you can, when you can and if you can. I've tried to do as much with my shoulder as is sensibly possible. Colin / Barbara, what are your thoughts on exercise?

• Posted

hi Looby, I suppose I am just worried in case cycling causes more damage or pain that I can really do without as finding the pain pretty torturous 24/7 but even worse at night- sleep deprivation seriously sucks.

I tried Adam Fields workouts on YouTube today he has videos on FS,I'm trying to move as much as I can.My physio has given me exercises to do as well.

I have crunching type noises when I do backwards shoulder rolls,I don't know if the noise comes from my shoulder blade or where exactly,its quite a loud noise.its quite disconcerting.

• Edited

many years with FM .always exercised in gardening and not as active as i'd like. i am retired.

i do not lift heavy objects over 6 #. sometimes have no choice to lift groceries,so i always ask the checker to keep the bags light. by using mindfulness with movements daily /lifestyle change i can generally manage chores, household etc. i use leverage a lot when gardening.

use lifting and reaching aides. back knee elbow and shoulder supports when necessary.

at night i wear a shoulder brace that supports the weight of my arms and holds my shoulders close to ribs. and I always sleep on back not side on shoulders. i know when enough is enough and i stop before serious long term severe pain develops. i just got used to taking things slower or not do it at all. just not worth tearing up my joints .

i have had to stop many things to rest my shoulders but in time i am hoping it will get better.

no more surgery for me.

LoobyMthe neck thing is a pain sometimes just looking left before turning into traffic can cause my shoulder to go out and all things connected to the neck with a bulging disc.

i even have a brace for my neck. I never use any brace very long . rest heat ice... i do not take pain meds.. i stop and rest period. its not worth itching to death too from pain meds like oxy...i hate that stuff. i have psoriasis and shingles so itching is a sore subject for me. i use OTC pain pads and gels. its all really a matter of learning HOW to be your own health advocate and find what works for you.

sending healing vibes your way

• Edited

hi barb

i second that. you have to show appreciation for the shoulder and what you want to do and what the shoulder can do.

at work i have to carefully manage every action and risk assess every motion. i know what i want to do but on lots of occasions i have to step back and work out how not to do it wrong.

this leads to piper and her cycling Adventure. it is ok to ride a bike but assess your actions and manage the day. dont go off like a banshee.

knowing all of us. i think them days have well passed lol. piper go with the family on the bike but you alone know what to do and at what speed the joint can take.

like Barbara up to last month OTC pain meds if needed but not during the day for me. it masks the injury. then when the meds wear off you crumple into a heap in pain lol..

this week i have really hit the codeine my neck shoulder blades and forearm are on fire.

people keep on asking if i am ok knowing whats to come. i hurt so much this week i cant wait to be put out mended.

anyway there is 75 mins until its prosecco - o -clock

everyone have a great bank holiday and enjoy.

colin

• Posted

Hi Colin, how you doing, just catching up a bit and read you have had the op and in recovery. Hope all goes well in the recovery and you are enjoying the sun this weekend.

• Edited

yes had the operation. now post day 8, cut the long head bicep off the labrum. top of the shoulder cup. pulled it down and out the arm pit.

two anchor screws into the chest and had the tendon sown / fixed there.

black and blue but pain free and not expected of a day out the immobiliser and re engaging the bicep on day 5 / 6. i thought it would be week 6 / 7 !!!!.

still off till oct as zero weight to the repair. its hard trying not to use it, like have a shower danger is; shampoo bottle weight, lifting the towel, unscrew the shower gel..

end up putting it back on just so i can relax lol.

physio starts in Histon Cambridge next thursday, its free as i paid a one cost for all operation package all inclusive.

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.