Frozen shoulder 3rd time lucky

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, For those  of you have seen my comments on here already, thought I would ask the question, but has anyone been unlucky as me. Seen consultant Monday to be told I need third operation, arthroscopic capsular release - revision. Have lost count of the amount of steroid inj I have had. The pain is still awful and keeps me awake at night like the rest of you. Only been back to work 4 weeks on phased return and have been signed off. Tuesday 13th is operation day hope it is the end of it then. Has anyone else experienced such a tough time and finally got to the finishing post. 

3 likes, 118 replies

118 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to read of all the pain and misery you ladies are going through. But at the same time, it's good to know I am not alone.

I was in our local newsagents on Wed, chatting with the lady behind the counter. She is our next door neighbour's sister and I know her well. I told her I was suffering with my shoulder at the moment. Another lady overheard us and chipped in. She has had FS too. I have seen her around (it is a small town) but never spoken to her. She is now my new best friend!cheesygrin

• Posted

Jay, 

i came down with frozen shoulder after a labrum surgery 14 months ago. I had a capsular release 8 months ago but the pain never left and it froze up quickly.now the dr wants to do a second capsular release in December. I'm not sure what to do.

• Posted

As you have probably read this is my third op on Tuesday 13th. I am at the stage of trying anything that is suggested as I have had 3 years of this, so I live on hope. If there is no other option for you other than an operation then I would give it a go. Reading other peoples threads it seems it is quite common to have a FS after surgery. The realease is a samll op about 45 min  - 1hour. Worth is I think. You will make the right decision. Best Wishes
    • Posted

Have you had a 2nd opinion to look for a hidden tare ?
    • Posted

so sorry that you have to be in this position of considering a third surgery...must be a very difficult decision....
  • Posted

What did the dr say about why the outcome would be different with the second release vs the first one. I asked my dr this and he couldn't give me a good answer. I froze back up and the pain never changed after my first release I'm nervous this will happen again. Not sure if I'm being naive to expect a different outcome with the same surgery.

• Posted

My consultant  told me that sometimes the shoulder  freezes up again after the first capsular release due to part of the shouder sticking or scar tissue. Obviously if the body does not move enough then scar tissue builds up quickly and generally causes pain and needs to be removed by surgery. Typing all day my arm does not really move a grea deal so he thinks this did not help. There is no guarantee this is going to work just like any of the other processes or procedures, but I am trying anything as it has affected my work and now I am in a situation where work have severed my contract. Hope this helps a little, but you will make the right decision. I will message also  after surgery what the consultant  concluded and how my FS is. That may be more helpful to you. 
  • Posted

Thanks Jay I hope everything works for you this time. Look forward to hearing from you.
    • Posted

So surgery was Tuesday evening and unexpectedly had to stay in over night due to the time the operation was, and how I reacted to the anaesthetic. The arm was paralised by a nerve block for the first 24-36 hours. Today the arm is very sore, but flex good news is only two arthroscopic holes.Physio has started straight away, and very painful. Consultant said he removed scar tissue and was able to flex the arm to 90 degrees like my left arm. He said I had more mobility in it now and need to get the physio and hydrotherapy going to keep it mobile. He is optimistic the signs are good but nothing is guaranteed with a FS. Stiches out 12 days so will update then.
    • Posted

Surgery was tues, got both the steroid and nerve block, therapy to start Fri I am in more pain now then bf don't know what's going to happen of course the steroid injection has my sugar all messed up been in bed all day fighting it
    • Posted

Hope you are feeling a bit better by now. Yes the steroids are evil in terms of sugar and the fight is not just a few hours mine went on for two months. I am not a fan of steroids thats for sure. Lets hope getting you moving will ease the pain. I am coping with my pain just but plenty of drugs to help on the way. I ahve been given phyiso leaflet to try some on my own but OMG! some of them I am not even going to attempt just yet, wait until I am wiht physio. Good Luck with your first session. Keep us posted. Best Wishes 
    • Posted

I start physical therapy today, I been stretching my arm since day one but I'm still not able to get my hand behind my back the pain is excruciating I'm not sure I will be able to handle therapy this time but I'm going to give it my all thank you so much I pray yours gets better as well
    • Posted

Physio therapy and like you have not put hand behind back yet. I have managed to get the arm to ten o 'clock by holding wrist and arm bent and walking the wall with fingers, and pendulum swing. I also have to have Hydrotherapy. No pain no gain as hey say. Best Wishes
    • Posted

Hydrotherapy is basically physio in a pool of a temperature of 30-35. It mobalises the arm better to get a better rotation on the movements. It does not come cheap though. £55.00 for half hour session and I need six and is done privately. 
    • Posted

I don't think we hv that type of therapy here, so far workmans compensation has pd for all of mine cause I was injured on the job

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.