Frozen shoulder 3rd time lucky

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, For those  of you have seen my comments on here already, thought I would ask the question, but has anyone been unlucky as me. Seen consultant Monday to be told I need third operation, arthroscopic capsular release - revision. Have lost count of the amount of steroid inj I have had. The pain is still awful and keeps me awake at night like the rest of you. Only been back to work 4 weeks on phased return and have been signed off. Tuesday 13th is operation day hope it is the end of it then. Has anyone else experienced such a tough time and finally got to the finishing post. 

3 likes, 118 replies

118 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jay wondering how your feeling since I'm walking a similar road and have a 3rd surgery planned. Hope your pain and stiffness is better

• Posted

Yesterday I drove for the first time for about 20 minutes on fairly clear roads. A bit tender where the seat belt went. I then did two sessions on physio from the sheet I was given. I even attempted the arm behind the back, which was so painful but got it to just under the bra strap...........what a result, I was elated. Istuggled with the one that lying on your back arm by side move it out like you are drawing  a semi circle. It was too painful and did not succeed veyr much. Pain is still with me but I expect that form the operation as it is early days. Generally feeling ok. Monday stitches out and see what the consultant has to say. I am feeling optomistic at the moment. When is your surgery and what is planned? 

• Posted

Surgery planned December 7th. Supposed to be capsular release. Does the pain feel different than before the surgery.
    • Posted

Long time to wait when you are in pain. Are you in the Uk and using NHS?  Yes, the pain is different not so intense. I was experiencing a deep pain in my lower arm between wrist and elbow, it use to make me feel sick. I get it occassionally but nothing like before. The pain is now more sore from the surgery, and more of a niggle, like a toothache. I am on normal pain killers in just a week so that is a major difference. Obviously doing the physio irriates it and the pain increases but as said it is early days and the more movement I get the better the arm should get.
    • Posted

I'm nervous because some research I've done says doing the surgery when there's pain can lead to more restriction and pain but I feel I don't have a choice. I've been in pain for 15 months. I'm in the states.
    • Posted

I am not understanding that when you are in pain doing sugery can lead to more pain. If it is not treated then the arm could take years to heal with and the pain as we know is unbearable, so we look at options. Some people have had successs with just an MUA, others have one capsular realease and are fine. Unfortunatly you are like me and on the third attept. My consultant has made it quite clear that even this is not a guarantee and even offered me a second opinion. I like my surgeon and I have faith in his decisions and guidance so another opinion is not for me. Have you thought about it? Being in pain is no joke for FS  I am 3 yeas of this and unless you suffer FS others will never understand. I think you are doing the right thing so try not to be nervous. Everyone is different when it comes to treatment and we know it can't go on forever. Keep exercising it while you wait for the operation and Ice packs or warm packs. I will update you as I continue my journey, so hopefully it will give you encouragement to face the operation with hope. Why are you wating so long for the op? Thought in the states you got treatment straight away. I did but that is because I am private over here. If I was NHS I would still be waiting for most of the treatment I have had. Keep positiveconfused
    • Posted

I'm trying to see if the pain will subside on its own. It got worse after the second surgery. Thank you for all the updates.
  • Posted

How's your recovery going.
    • Posted

Hi, Had the stitches removed Monday 26th, the consultant was pleased with the way things are progressing and has re inforced the need to keep my exercises going. Unfortunatley I came down with laryngitis two days after my op so could not attend the Hydrotherapy session. However I continued with the exercise sheet the physio team gave me post op. I am pleased to say that I can raise my arm up to nearly being straight. I can put my arm behind my back to just above my bra strap. I am quite flexible as my good arm I can reach quite a lot further.When I stand with my arms at waist height and move them out to the sides palms up the right shoulder is about 10% left active than the left shoulder. The consultant has told me things are looking good as he did not expect so much movement as when I was being operated on he struggled to move the arm at some points. The one exercise I struggle to do is laying on the floor and bringing the bad arm out like you are drawing a semi circle until it is straight above my head. There is part of my arm that is not rotating properly in the socket but will not hinder my eveyday use. I am so pleased to be abel to report this good news to the followers of FS. MY next appointment is in two months so I am hoping for a very nice christmas present from my consultant to say that everything is good..........how amazing would that be.biggrin

If I was you I would serioulsy consider all your options, even another operation. I hope this helps you to make the right decision for you. 

I am now job hunting as you probably know this condition cost me my job. Let me know how you go and will continue to report my progress. 

Best Wishes 

• Posted

The pain is minimal, although I have just done an iorning stint of about an hour and the shoulder feels very sore, and I am getting a shooting pain biceps. My consultant did say not to over do it and I think I have just done what he said not to. I am on neurofen and I have had some decent nights sleep since the op, I mean 7hrs. It was luxury, after 3 years of very little sleep each night. Last night was not so good but still bette than pre op. Let me know what you are thinking or what you decide.

• Posted

I'm set for surgery December 7th. I'm glad you're doing well. Did the doc say when you would be pain free.
    • Posted

No idea when and if I will be pain free, how long is a piece of string? I just feel so much better at the moment. I will continue to update you, as your op date is sooner than my next consultation.I understand where you are coming from but if you are in so much pain then I would thinking it can't get any worse having the op. 

I am aware some people never get over FS but that is a very small percentage. Keep focused for your operation. 

• Posted

Just another update. Dealing with some stress at the moment so the shoulder has tightened up. Not moving so good but am pushing through the pain. I am doing the exercises and find the pain is still not as bad as before. I have no regrets having the third operation as I still feel better and the pain is reduced. I have managed to sleep on that side and although there is pain it is minimal. I am feel positive this could be the home straight for me. How are you doing?

• Posted

About 95%. Still very happy I had the third op. biggrin Lets hope it stays that way.
    • Posted

That's great I'm happy for you. Are you doing any strengthening yet. My surgery is in December. I'm glad your pain is better.
    • Posted

Strengthenig exercises to start in a few weeks. Just general movement exercises still. Shoulder still a little sore after exercising but it depends on how much effort I put into them. I do find carrying a handbag( think you call it a pocket book?) on my leftshoulder, opposite shoulder to surgery does irritate it to, so tried to carry as little as possible in my bag now. Your surgery is just weeks away now and I think you are doing the right thing if you go ahead. Has the pain improved since you have been waiting? Do you think you will still have surgery? I feel in a very happy place right now, the best for 3 years. Hope this will be you a month after surfery. smile

• Posted

Hi there I am.now 6 weeks post surgery having had frozen shoulder for 4 years

I had a full.tendon tear

My question is should we wear a sling after surgery as my surgeon said not to and my.physio said do

I am climbimg the walls.at.the moment as I still cannot drive and I live in a remote village as.a.single. mother. Also no idea what job I will be able to do now.Any advice welcome also how do we sleep? As I also have Fibro alia it lengthens the recovery time

• Posted

Hi Jay...

How are you?

Hope your recovery is still going well and you are not in too much pain. Best wishes 😊

• Posted

Hi, After rotator cuff surgery a sling is normally worn for the first 6 weeks. Just to support the arm as their is a chance you can undo the work the surgeon has done. Driving will come again around 8 weeks or a little longer. You should be able to do most jobs once fully recovered. Sleeping is generally on the back or supported my loads of pillows. Hope you feel a lot better soon as the physio should really get you moving. No pain no gain smile  BestWishes
    • Posted

Hi Kaycee.....Recovery is going well. ROM about 95%. Just getting the arm behind the back still requires a lot of effort but the rest of it is good. I can sleep on the arm but it does become painful a little. I really feel  like I am on the home straight, but don't want to get too excited. Keeping the exercises going and see what happens at next appt 21st Dec. I know I definitely made the right decision. smile Hows things for you?

• Posted

I saw my GP today and have been signed off for another 6 weeks. That makes it 12 weeks post op I was told to hardly wear the sling so I an very confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.