Frozen shoulder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi does anyone suffer with frozen shoulders i wondered if it was related to hypothyroid ?.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi yorkrose,

It is known that there is a connection between having an underactive thyroid and developing an Muscular Skeletal condition, such as frozen shoulder, shoulder impingement etc (I had the latter). I found a reference to this about 4 years ago in an occupational health leaflet at work. I think it's because our muscles get fatigued easily and then our posture suffers. Then this makes us more fatigued...and so the vicious circle goes on.

I posted a discussion about this titled something like 'underactive thyroid and muscular skeletal conditions.' It would be interesting to know how many other people on this site with an underactive thyroid are experiencing muscular skeletal conditions. I can't believe you and I are the only two! The good news is frozen shoulder can usually be fixed with physiotherapy - as long as you do the exercises as often as you are advised to. I found doing them little and often worked the best. Once it's fixed, I've found Pilates to be a nice gentle way to maintain strength and build flexibility.

Hope you are soon on the mend.

• Posted

Thank you barbara, I bet you are right there will be others with this condition but don`t connect it to Thyroid.

Thanks for the advice x

• Posted

I've been hypothyroid for 8-9 years now. Not too under, only symptom is fatigue and maybe dry skin.

One year ago I was extremely stressed (had been stressed, but more so at end of last year), I woke up with Polymyalgia Rheumatica pains.  Woke up with so much pain in my shoulders and pelvic girdle area (hip flexors, groin, hamstring tendon/bursa areas) I could barely move.

I now wonder if thyroid was involved, but doctors won't go there. They just say stress and autoimmune. Luckily my Rheumatologist (never thought I'd have one of those) has let me switch from Levo to Armour.  But I don't see much change yet, except super tired, but I will try to increase a bit.  Only been about 5-6 weeks,

Just thought I'd chime in incase it could be related. My pains are in my tendons, are tender to the touch and when I try to use that muscle. Might be bursa's too.  I sucks having all hurt at same time. 

I miss my old life. I'm 54. I find it hard to exercise for fear of doing too much.  But I can walk more now thanks to Bowen Technique treatments, before my back hurt too. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are having these pains. I can empathise, though mine are intermittent - I have located the cause of mine and thought I'd share in case it's relevant to you.

I get the pains (which feel like I've sprained something and are excrutiatingly painful if the area is touched or moved), in my wrist, finger, knee etc., often accompanied by swelling.

My history: underactive thyroid for 24 years, kept T4 levels at top of the range and TSH suppressed else felt like a zombie. Extended periods of high stress at work. Developed food allergies and intolerances, starting with just mild in a couple of foods. Always ill with chest Iinfections, pharyngitis, sinusitis. Several lots of antibiotics each time. Developed into major intolerances for numerous foods. I get pains whenever I eat a food I'm intolerant to. Worst effects are caused by corn (it's in everything - look up it's variants, they iclude maize starch, maltodextrin), and sugar (variants are dextrose, fructose, sucrose etc.). If I don't eat these foods I am painfree. I stick to a diet free from: dairy, gluten, fruit, carbohydrate, nightshade vegetables. I only eat fresh, unprocessed meat, fish and vegetables. I can't even eat ready prepared fruit, vegetables and salad due to the preservative in it they use to keep it fresh). I take a multivitamin to make up for all the vitamins and minerals I'm lacking.

On the plus side, I no longer have a problem with excess weight. My tissues have lost the swelling that was making my joints stiff (and making me look fat because it was all over my body), so they now move freely and are stronger. Now when i move it's like I'm 20 years younger (I'm 54). I've also switched to NDT (bought without a prescription off the internet) which I've been on since 23rd June 2015, i.e. 5 months. Allergies and intolerances pre-dated this switch.

Hopefully, this epic message will give you some ideas. If you have any questions, just ask. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you for the information Barbara, it is very kind of you to take the time.

Kind Regards 

Rose

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Layne, yes i too get sick of not feeling normal, we cannot have Armour in the uk, I think its down to costs! I am 56 and sometimes feel 90, especially in the morning, and I used to have so much energy, but now it takes all my strength and will power to get through a working day, and just want to retire early,

Hey ho life goes on x

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing that Barbara!  I wasn't on my internet for a few days, so I almost missed this, glad I didnt.  I'm starting to hear more and more from people I know about the food intolerances.  Was hoping it's not true! Ha!  And now I really think my hypoglycemia is related to thyroid. Frustrated all my life strugglong with sugars and high glycemic foods.

bummer to not eat fruit HUH? I've avoided it as much as possible though sometimes give in with the low bloodsugar consequence. I ate 1/3 Apple this morning before I read your post. Of course I might feel the apple later. 

I love bell peppers (all colors), so I really, really hope I'm not becoming intolerant of night shades.  Loved tomatoes too, but Prednison caused me acid reflux (silent, didn't know there was silent) so I've stopped those.

so, I'm basically on same diet as you and yes losing weight is nice, except I've lost muscle (due to Prednisone too).  Then I got dry mouth (again prednisone) and lost my taste buds, so I can't drink wine anymore (I know...probably a good thing but I miss relaxing to a big glass).

this is hard mentally.  Foods used to be such a joy.  I miss gooey cheese, flour gravies, multigrain toast with butter and a tad bit of jelly. 

Ive ve been bad lately due to the holidays, I just had to enjoy some pecan and pumpkin pie!!! But will get back to proper diet now. Oh, and capuccinos...I miss those so much and enjoyed a couple lately...ugh.

thanks for sharing! This helps so much.

Layne

• Posted

Sounds like we are in same boat...the age of over 50 really sucks...amazing.

guess it really is a transitional time. 

I sortof had forced early retirement...my software career is basically gone and I can't figure out what else I could do.  I've kind of lost confidence and dealing with people I find difficult, that's why I was good at being on the computer, ha.  So not having a job may sound great, and at first it is, but now I'm so bored.  I can't do my silly hobbies either (painting, bead necklace making, scrapbooking) either because I made TOO many and don't care anymore, and the meds I'm on now took away my being creative. 

Now I only care about feeling better and hoping my PMR goes in to remission sooner rather than later.  

But...ugh...my Bowen expert is helping me see ALL this is probably in my life to teach me lessons, dang...wink. Trying to let go of so many draining negative thoughts...trying... smile 

kind if if nice meeting over 50 year olds on this forum and my other forum.

• Posted

Layne, I'm not sure I agree with the bit about it teaching us lessons - I prefer the phrase 'stuff happens' (substitute an appropriate word for stuff!) I have come to just accept that it does and then keep trying to mitigate it. I never stop searching for answers. I think this is prior to being diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1989, I was geting really bad shooting pains in my muscles (like I was being stabbed); then I was diagnosed and it was all fixed. Until I messed up my thyroid hormones by having children! The point is: don't despair, a cure may be just around the corner - just keep searching.

Have you heard of Blastocystis hominis, a protozoan parasite? I'm wondering whether that might be the cause of my food allergies & intolerances. Having discussed it with my GP we agreed that it would be worth a try taking the probiotic yeast saccharonyces boulardii to see if it helps. Now just got the minor problem of getting hold of it!

• Posted

Yes!  I have had two frozen shoulders.  One in each arm!  It was a nightmare!  The first one I tried every treatment short of forced manipulation.  The second one I left alone and let it heal on it's own (and it will).  Both shoulders took the exact amount of time to heal.  I truly believe this is a side effect of my thyroid disorder.  Hopefully, I can't get it again.  I have heard that if you have them in both arms it won't happen again but not sure of that.  I just pray that it doesn't happen.  That was the worst time of my life.  Both shoulders lasted 18 months total including freezing, frozen and thawing time.  I didn't have any injuries either.  They both just came on out of the blue.

I feel for you if you have a frozen shoulder, but don't worry, it will get better.  The doctors don't help much either.  

• Posted

Do you by any chance work at a computer or at a desk? Did you know people with thyroid disease are more likely to suffer from muscular skeletal problems? To find out what this is, look up 'functional posture'. Google images has some good pictures. Sorry it took yours so long to heal. A good physio can help speed things up.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Shannon, it must have been a nightmare 2 frozen shoulders together!.

I never realised how often I scratch my back until I got this and now I cant scratch LOL.

Rose x

• Posted

Hi Barbara, no I don`t work at a desk I work as a carer so often have an elderley lady hanging on my arm and I need to do some lifting and stuff, not good realy but it`s where I am at for now, some days I feel older than the lady I care for and she is 98!.LOL x
    • Posted

Poor you! It must be really difficult to do your job under those circumstances. If you do a lot of bending over, what I said would still apply. Reading or working a tablet/pc in bed also causes problems. Basically anything where one is leaning over.
    • Posted

As you may have guessed, I've had a problem with my shoulder. I have been doing physiotherapy for four years since it was first diagnosed, cumulating in a called 'sub-acromial decompression' operation in June 2014.  Physiotherapy since has meant that it's my shoulder now has full movement back and most of its strength. It has also corrected my posture. I find Pilates is really good at building core strength and means that one doesn't succumb to these problems so easily. Having an under-active thyroid I found that my muscles were often fatigued and weak, which is what contributed to the problem in the first place. I think I'll need to do the physio exercises for my shoulder and knees forever. 
    • Posted

Oh, I didn't have them at the same time.  They were approximately 4 years apart.  But when the 2nd one came on, I've never had such a feeling of doom come over me, just knowing what I was in for.  I feel for you.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara/Shannon and Rose

I have just found out that a frozen shoulder can be prevalent in vitamin d deficiency disorders and diabetes as well.That does not mean that

Shannon et al has these conditions of course but I thought that the info may be of general interest.

Cindy x

• Posted

I was told the same by a physio. He said not to bend down and to watch tv, do computer work , read all at eye level.Also keep neck supported on a cushion.

He said that neck/collar supports are not used anymore!!

I wonder what others think about that.

Cindy x

• Posted

That's very interesting Cindy.  I am also vitamin D deficient.  Of course I take Vitamin D regularly now but that may have been the cause of my frozen shoulder at the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.