Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 17 users are following.

i have been suffering with frozen shoulder for going on four months now. I am now receiving physio theropy, acupuncture weekly. But I can't sleep. No pain medication works at all. I use a tens machine daily. I can only lift my right arm up sideways about 30 degrees, I cannot reach behind my back and can barely lift to do my hair without being in a lot of pain. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Teresa,

I had frozen shoulder in BOTH shoulders. It was so horrible. I am left arm dominant. I went to the orthopedist who sent me to get a cortizone injection under x-ray that day. A few weeks earlier I had seen a different ortho, whose physicians' assistant gave me a cortizone into the muscle (similar to a regular shot). I asked for pain relief as the frozen shoulder was still in the painful stage and excruciating! Her reply was "Take Motrin or Aleve." To which I relplied, "Did you actually read my medical record? I have been taking this medication for several weeks and I actually should not take this type of medication over a long time due to to family history of kidney disease." Anyhow, after almost a year of horrible pain, the only thing that has helped is cortizone under x-ray right into the joint. I am the biggest baby when it comes to injections and it didn't hurt a bit. When I has the left shoulder done they put a contrast dye in as well to check for rotator cuff tears, that hurt a bit I won't lie. But, when they did the right shoulder, just cortizone, it didn't hurt a bit. Now, I am pain free and my range of motion is almost fully back.

Best of luck. Bug your orthopedist for cortizone if they have not offered it, or go to an orthopedist that deals with frozen shoulder.

Holly

So, I had frozen shoulder (actually in both shoulders) for which I went to physical therapy. I found PT made my frozen shoulder worse!

• Posted

Thank you, I have had the cortisone without x-ray and it has done nothing. Pain killers do nothing. It's good to talk with people who truly know and understand the pain. I am now five months in and I dread going to bed as I know I'm not going to sleep well. I can barely do my hair and dressing is so painful. Thank you for your help and advice. 

• Posted

I have had FS for 2 months.  Pain  has subsided a bit but my ROM is getting worse. Has any one tried supplements?  I'm taking glucosomine , Omega -3, and magnesium. I have been drinking tumeric and ginger tea.  That initially helped quite a bit.  I had pain relief in about ten minutes.  I have also had acupuncture and laser therapy. The laser therapy also seemed to help.  I had a shot im my shoulder last week .  Made it worse.  There are some good you tube videos.  Any suggestions for sleep?

I did watch a youtube video on sleeping positions.  Said to sleep on your back and have lots of pillows.  That does help some. 

I am at the point of deciding between the chiropractor or PT.  From all of my research , there seems to be a right/wrong time for PT.  I was hoping my trip to the Dr. last week would point me in  the correct direction.  But the Dr. couldn't be bothered to discuss my condition with me. 

It is frustrating.   FS is a painful and expensive condition

• Posted

There is a big difference between the kind of cortisone injection given by a GP and hydrodilatation, which is guided right into the correct part of the joint (either by x-ray or ultrasound) along with saline (under a degree of pressure) to expand the joint.  That worked for me and many others on here, stopping the pain within 2 days and allowing me regain my movement.
  • Posted

By the way...I forgot to say that initial cortizone into the muscle was absolutely useless. I finally got relief from cortizone under x-ray. My orthopedist wanted to do the most minimally invasive approach first and I am so relieved it worked.
  • Posted

Teresa,

Ask you r orthopedist to do the cortisone under x-ray (I think it is called fluoroscopic). I wish I had done it so much earlier. The pain at night was horrible. I didn't sleep for months which is a terrible way to live. I still don't have 100% range of motion but it is dramatically improved and at least it is not painful anymore.

Best,

Holly

• Posted

How long will the cortisone last?  I too cannot sleep and it only started once I began physical therapy!!  I think PT is aggravating the condition. 
  • Posted

Also, I have made turmeric tea. I mix about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon into almond milk. Heat and drink. I did this every night to help reduce inflammation and promote sleep. I think it helped. \

Here is the recipe I followed:1/2 cup turmeric powder1/2 cup filtered water (no fluoride)1 ½ tsp black pepper5 TBSP virgin coconut oil In a stainless steel pot, combine water, turmeric, and black pepper. It should make a thick paste. Cook and stir for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add virgin coconut oil, using a whisk to fully mix in the coconut oil. Finally, transfer to a glass jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator. To use, whisk 1 teaspoon Golden Paste to 2 cups milk of choice, warmed (or the coconut oil will congeal). Add molasses, vanilla, and cinnamon to taste.

My notes: This recipe makes a lot, so consider cutting it in half. Use it up in 2 weeks or less. I  shook about 1/4 to 1/2 t of paste into a ramekin sized container of almond milk, heated it, and sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on top. It was tasty and it helps reduce inflammation and promote sleep. My frozen shoulders are no longer painful and I have about 70-80% of my ROM back. I still drink my turmeric tea to promote restful sleep and good health.

Keep me posted if you decide to try it.

Holly

• Posted

heat the almond milk first ...and then shake in the paste. It mixes better that way
  • Posted

I am in the exact same position as you. I am curious as to what you have tried that people have commented on and what worked. Breaking down and crying on a daily basis is not helping me. This is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life and nothing relieves it. 
    • Posted

It is isn't it I'm a wreck no sleep emotional feel like I'm cracking up it's like the worst toothache but in your shoulder I'm off to fill my hot water bottle for about the twentieth time hope you get some relief Laura I'm going to try tiger balm I'll bloody cover myself head to foot if it works 😢😢😢

• Posted

same thing here, it's been 5 months so far. I had 3 cortisone injections so far into the joint, the last one wore off 2 weeks ago, back to square one.It really did help for a lovely 6 weeks, I could sleep and wash my hair! Haven't worn a clasp bra since April! Doing accupuncture, PT, massage, chiropractic. Using a cannibis oil cream, menthol-type cream, all the ibuprofen I can stomach. Ice, heat, tens machine. None of the orthopedics here do surgery for at least 9 months- more risk of doing it, than benefit vs. waiting. I also do have a small tear. Still crying every day too, sleep is just dreadful, which makes the stress and mood worse as well. Can't do anything- swim, yoga, pilates. Running is okay, walking is okay. Trying cryotherapy next, and going to a "shoulder pain" seminar by an orthopedic specialty group. It has been good to read that it seems to get less painful, even though ROM is still bad. I'll be happy for that day when it comes!

• Posted

Honestly like Kelly said earlier this pain is excruciating I feel nobody actually realises how bad it is I'm on tramadol gabapentin paracetamol had the injection and like everyone says did nothing feel like showing this to my go and asking why they bother the only relief I got from the cortisone injection was the Anaesthetic used to numb it b4 injection I'm sorry if I sound a little bit abrupt but this pain is driving me mad I have a very strong pain threshold I laid for eight hours once getting tattooed but this!! Omg I've been up for the last two nights I'm going to try that tiger balm I've been using a hot water bottle gives me a little bit of relief 😢 I'm glad not that people have the same problem of course wouldn't wish it on anyone but you all understand what I'm saying and I'm not just whinging 😢😢😢

• Posted

I agree - without ever wishing this on others, it's been such a comfort to me to know that I wasn't alone by reading this forum. Knowing that I was heard and believed and understood on this forum whilst experiencing the relentless excruciating pain of frozen shoulders was a balm. With no reasons and no answers and no helpful treatments it's a super-challenge to get through the hours, days, weeks and months after months of real suffering that this condition can bestow. We are all amazing survivors for having lived through this. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

• Posted

Honestly you feel like the only person in the world going through this much pain I have been signed off work for coming up to six weeks now mainly through the lack of sleep I'm like a zombie through the day can't even string a sentence together so now I'm worrying about that I wish they knew how bad this was 😢😢😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.