Frozen shoulder

Posted , 8 users are following.

trying to stir things up here. come on people help out the chat whats the best way out of this

we are in the same very painful boat here long term

any medical procedure thats helped please share

we all need this

colin

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

not to be a downer but I gave up on all medical procedures including therapy and waited.... once I resigned myself to this and allowed the cycle to complete which was about a year I was mentally better because I just didn't worry about it anymore... It does get better. I will say that the only real relief I had was dry needling on the muscles around the arm and shoulder - during and after.... I do recommend therapy after - but manual mostly for the muscles....

• Posted

hi hjd

i will reply to every one as you lot have taken the time to write back

i have tried having no PT . due to my job being a carpenter i need as much movement as possible

now both are playing up i tried no PT but after a couple of weeks i was getting tighter and tighter. to a point a had to use small hop up to reach top hinge of the door to chop it in

dead weight is fine on the joint. it is getting past the shoulder height

and i am constantly streaching and pulling the joint to no avail

c

• Posted

cortisone injection worked perfectly for me

• Posted

hi mad

i am having me quota of these. last one was nov 8. the arm fell apart on dec 28. last time he injected i to the rotator cuff not the joint

still rubbish lol

think its called getting old

c

• Posted

hydrodilatation helps although i wasnt keen on the experience. my last frozen shoulder was severe and i lost 80% of movement but only lasted 7 months. I have it on my other shoulder now but thankfully its not too bad at the moment.

• Posted

Dear Colin,

Hurts like the blazes, I know. You feel helpless and then you say, "Surely, my SHOULDER isn't going to be the thing that brings me down after everything else that has happened...rigHT?!" Well, I'll tell you that after I finally admitted I couldn't even reach up at the bank machine, I was in need of help. When I needed to prop my arm perfectly to sleep, I needed help! And I do not even know why it started hurting/getting stiff! When I went to an Orthopedic surgeon at Kaiser and asked my new doctor, she asked me to raise my arm as high as I could. I was in my mid 40's. She was surprised at how poor my mobility was. She explained that I had a couple choices: surgery where she could make my arm move in surgery by moving it (ripping the scar tissue I had allowed grow...I felt angry and confused...what do you mean I let it grow? I didn't know I was doing anything wrong...just trying to protect it from hurting more by immobilizing it as much as possible) or I could go to PT or I could get cortizone shots.

I didn't know what to do, but I sure didn't look kindly on surgery to do something I could do to myself if I had the proverbial balls (being a female I had to imagine I was really tough...I am tougher than I thought) to force my arm past it's comfort level and way past my pain threshold.

The doctor was kind enough to tell me a couple exercises that would help and I knew it would be painful. But I was determined to get back my mobility, so I followed her suggestions.

I laid on a bed and my daughter forced my straight arm as high as I could endure. I had to tell her to stop when I couldn't endure it more (and hide the pain because I knew she didn't want to hurt me). I asked her to do this daily, but this wasn't the exercise that helped the most. However, I believe it helped me to know she cared and I wasn't totally alone.

Secondly, I tried to "throw a bowling ball". The doctor described pretending to hold a bowling bowl by keeping your hand in the position it would be if in the finger and forward facing thumb position before you release the ball. This is much easier to show than describe, so...sorry! You swing your arm forwards and up and over your head and back around to the starting position, then...scratch your shoulder in the front. I know. Sure I'll just swing my arm up and over. Then scratch my shoulder like it was nothing? (I was able to do it after a lot of trying. It helped to use the wet shower wall as both an anchor I could lean against as a way to not cheat by allowing my arm to move away from my body rather than up over my head during the swing. Yes, I screamed. But when I made it a little higher and a little higher, I felt a huge sense of relief like endorphens were being released and then after this stretching exercise I always iced for 15 minutes (towel between ice pack and my shoulder). I started sleeping better as the shoulder released a little at a time. Eventually, I was able to reach all the way up and over. I was grateful for my returned mobility. And honestly, I felt like a bad-a#@. I got through the pain without surgery, which had been my goal.

When I returned to the surgeon three weeks ago, I proudly showed her the entire rotation of throwing the bowling ball. She looked surprised. I think she thought I was a woos. Um. No. But I can tell you after birthing 4 children, this pain rivaled that.

You can ask your physical therapist or orthopedic surgeon if these two exercises might suit your situation. Everyone's situation is different. I'm guessing that prior injury, other injuries, and what is actually wrong with the very complicated shoulder joint are just some of the factors that make a doctor recommend physical therapy, surgery, home exercises, cortisone injections, etc.

I'm so sorry. It really hurts and you reach out in desperation (with your good arm, sorry, had to be said!) for help from anyone who has been there and gotten better. I didn't really believe my doctor could make it better with surgery. I pictured being "out" on the table while she jerked my arm around...I figured I'd rather be in control of that than someone else determining how far my arm would eventually move. I figured if I put that much stock in her ability to "fix me" I wouldn't even protest if it didn't work completely. I trust myself and I know what pain I can endure.

I wish you the best. Remember to ice after you do any exercising. It really helps. I also put a pack of ice on my shoulder early on in the healing process as I fell asleep. It melted as I fell asleep. Ah, sweet sweet sleep! Ibuprufen helps, but follow the dosing instructions exactly and do not take too much. Ibuprufen reduces inflammation and pain.

Good luck,

Christine

• Posted

hi christine

your the third woman to compare child birth to them zingers

hats off to all you ladies out there

when i am at PT if any one was to walk past the door. they would think its a torture chamber

which i am paying for the pleasure. all you can here is her saying BREATH WILL YOU. as i am at the pinch point

i will post the dilation as it is done on friday as it is bone to bone there

c

• Posted

try giving up coffee and taking B12.

i had Frozen shoulder on and off for 3 years and found that when i gave up coffee and started taking b12 . take it under my tongue spray

good luck

• Posted

gilly

now that is a real massive ask

yes to PT. yes to exercise.yes to all other mad cap things to try

GIVE UP CAFFINE woooo there not to hasty

thats a big one

c

• Posted

thank you every one for replying

lot of different ideas on this. will take note.

samght you had what i am having. and it only lasted 7 months.was not aware of that time line.

with the exercise i am a carpenter every day i am either hanging 60 kg doors. plastering ceilings or fitting windows

most of my work is very physical on my shoulders and above my head. hence why asking you hero's who you have got around this problem

every day i am doing streaching exercises and pushing my shoulders to the maximum

colin

• Posted

just to get it right the hydrodistension lasted 7 months or the shoulder problem.

i am resided to 24 months of problems for the both arms

colin

• Posted

sorry mis communication, the frozen shoulder from start to finish lasted 7 months. Loads better after the hydrodilatation , think it was back to normal within 6 weeks after having it . My first one was quite severe had to sleep on the sofa for 3 months, lost 80% of movement. My frozen shoulder at the moment is my 2nd one but its not too bad at the moment 😃 Good luck and Let me know how you get on with it, I dont know anyone else who has had it done.

• Posted

and just a note i really have a phobia with needles

but yet every morning i am counting down 5 more sleeps lol

c

• Posted

its not painful, just a weird sensation! will be worth it 😃

• Posted

yup i know that it only pinched me as he clipped the bone with the needle and i moved me foot

he had to start again lol and i had stay still really still

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.