Frozen Shoulder - Arthroscopy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Wonder if anyone can assist. I had a shoulder arthroscopy 7 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder after the surgery. I went to the doctor for a checkup just last week. I am in so much pain and the surgery has not helped. I asked the doc if I needed to go to physio and he told me no, only when the paid subsides. He said it could take anything from 3-6 months for the pain to go away and untimately it could take potentially 2 years to heal. Is this true? I almost suspect that he could have botched my surgery as I am still in excrutiating pain. The pain seems to be getting worse each day. Could saomeone tell me how long it takes a) for the pain to go away and b) when the arm movement returns to nomal.

Thanks so much

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well, I'm in my second year and also still in pain. The Doctor's, admittedly do not know much about Frozen Shoulder. This forum has some great information. There's a lot of misinformation online, so be careful.

Personally, physical Therapy made my Frozen Shoulder worse. Cortisone shots helped very minimally. Norco pain killers and Naproxen are only medications that helped, me personally.

Hot baths and epsom salts in the tub helped with the pain a little.

Good luck to you.. Don't push the healing, its a slow process, sorry.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you having the same problem as I have now. This is my 6 months post -operative cuffr repair. I am diagnosed with subacromion impingement. Dr advised me to take a crotisone shot which has helped me to subside the pain but still can't do any stretching and exercise because the acromion is tighten up. Dr says it touches the tendon that's why I get pain. So, I am not allowed to do exercise until there is a room in the joint. He thinks it will go away by itself but not sure when. However, he thinks Frozen Shouldr is good as it protects the repair but it just slows down the recovery. For the theme being, I am just sitting here and wishing everything will be okay. I am too scared to go for another surgery. I have an appointment on Oct.

good luck !

• Posted

That's really interesting how dr's differ.  I too had shoulder impingement.  Had a subacromial decompression and rotator cuff debridement surgery 2 weeks ago.  They also discovered I had frozen shoulder so they performed an MUA and othroscopic release.  I started PT several days after surgery and doing it 3X/week.  In addition I do home exercises 3X/ day.  Slowly seeing some improvement.  

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

Sorry to hear that. I can suggest you focus on anti inflammatory food with supplements.

I know someone who had frozen shoulder before but long story short she doesn't feel the discomfort and is able to do daily activities

Hope you feel better

• Posted

Hi Andrew - thanks for the advice. I am 25 days in to my very clean eating plan and believe fully in eating for health. Lets see what happens.
  • Posted

Yes , It can take up to 2 years to get better!

The pain is mostly in Plase 1 - the "freezing stage"my Plase 1 lasted for 7 months and I am in phase 2 now the "frozen stage" which could last up to a year. The pain is 80% tho .

The third stage "thawing" I will have even less pain and get some ROM back.

You just have to go through the stages!

• Posted

Sadly,

I have had pretty intense FS pain... the whole two years that I have had FS. My Orthopedic doctor said because I'm Diabetic, FS could last around 3 years. More dense scar tissue or something. Yay fun. Lol

• Posted

Thanks all for your responses. I just cant believe how painful this process is and how long it is going to take to recover. It is just really stressful living with chronic pain every single day and takes a huge toll. I am allergic to cortizone so wont be going for injections any time soon. I am eating very clean and 25 days in to that plan and I am trying to exercise my very painful arm as much as I can, but it is very hard. Thanks again to you all. We are all in this together so i hope we all feel better quickly.

• Posted

Do not forget it is TEMPORARY!  YOU CAN DO IT!! DO NOT GIVE UP!!  Ice and use heat for relief ask your doctor how he recommends you incorporate icing and heating.  Vent when you need to but never ever forget this is TEMPORARY and you are on your way to recovery!!  SLOW and steady for now...it is what it is!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!  Keep your chin up!!

• Posted

After 2 years, keeping a chin up is getting rather difficult. Wish this would go away. 
  • Posted

Hi Natalie,

It was interesting to hear you were diagnosed with FS after the arthroscopy. I don't think that any of us have heard of a patient being diagnosed this way in the past. Let us know more of the history of your FS.

• Posted

Hi there.  Also was diagnosed with FS after an arthroscopy.  I was initially diagnosed with subacromial impingment 6 mos ago and had a subacromial decompression surgery just Friday.  At my post-up aptmt, the nurse told me I had FS as well.  -Just started PT today (a week after surgery).  Hope everyone gets better soon.  Sounds like this is a long road to recovery. Didn't expect it.

• Posted

Slow and steady.  ICE ICE ICE... use heat as prescribed too.  Do not give up!!!  You, us, we all are with you and we all will get better!!!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.  So much things running through my mind, so many what-ifs.  Right now, my main concern is being able to go back to work.  I was given two weeks off for my surgery.  But one week after surgery, I still have very limited range of motion.  I don't think I can even drive so not sure about being able to return to work in a week.  I have foud myself crying these past few days.  This forum and people like you have helped me cope with the situation.  THank you again and to everyone!

• Posted

You are not alone!!  You will get better.  Start thinking about the cans like what will I need to do to get to work.  Can I drive with one hand?  Can I ask someone for a lift to work?  Can I complete a full day of work?  Can I work half day vs. full day?  Can I ask my doctor for support?  Can my doctor write a return to work with (temp) work restrictions?  I know you can do lots of things.  You just have to think about how you can accomplish them while you recover.  Hang in there and keep your chin up!!
    • Posted

Hi there

I could not move my arm very well for around 9 months. I did have back surgey 1.year ago but its not related at all. It got to a point where I just could not move my arm and I could not sleep on the sore side or lift anythng. I was eventually sent to an orthopod and he ordered tons of x-rays and said I did NOT have frozen shoulder but rather an inflammation and gave me a cortizone injection and said my arm would work immediately after the injection. After suffering the allergic reation to cortizone and it not working at all, he then said he would perform an arthroscopy and then diagnosed frozen shoulder, inflammation and repaired a tear. So, I had surgery on 4 June, its now the10th August and am in agony and can hardly move it and he said I should not do physio until the pain goes but I dont think it will EVER go. I am really despondent as living with pain for so long is so draining. Will it really really go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.