Frozen Shoulder - Arthroscopy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Wonder if anyone can assist. I had a shoulder arthroscopy 7 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder after the surgery. I went to the doctor for a checkup just last week. I am in so much pain and the surgery has not helped. I asked the doc if I needed to go to physio and he told me no, only when the paid subsides. He said it could take anything from 3-6 months for the pain to go away and untimately it could take potentially 2 years to heal. Is this true? I almost suspect that he could have botched my surgery as I am still in excrutiating pain. The pain seems to be getting worse each day. Could saomeone tell me how long it takes a) for the pain to go away and b) when the arm movement returns to nomal.

Thanks so much

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

For whatever it's worth, I had FS, first in the right shoulder, then a couple years later in the left. It was full-blown, both times. I was scheduled for surgery on the first shoulder, but went to a massage therapist first by chance. She talked me out of the surgery, and I have to say I am grateful. Both shoulders have nearly completely healed (some residual tightness in my right hand), and really, what is required is patience and self-care. It is a slow, slow healing process. I think the surgery is a terrible waste of time, and can cause more problems long-term. Massage, very gentle yoga, stretching, and generally improving lifestyle with changes in eating, stress, and movement, eventually healed me. It took 5 years total, but that's because it was in both shoulders. I know it feels like it will never, ever get better, but it will with time.

• Posted

I heard that surgery is just a money making thing and that I should never have had it. But I have had it and here I am regretting every minute of the surgery. Here's hoping for a miracle. Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Remember these injuries require time (LONG) time to heal and rehab. Have you sought out a second and third opinion?  Perhaps you could benefit from a new physical therapist.  Good LUCK!!

• Posted

Hi Natalie - we have similar situation - I am two weeks post orthroscopic shoulder surgery ( subacromion decompression).  During surgery they also discovered I had FS so they did an MUA.  But I did exercises 4 days after surgery then PT 2 days later.  It is just starting to get better for me.  I do exercises 3X per day and everyday.  I go PT 3 days a week and just started getting massage.  I cried a lot during the first week.   I've also wondered whether surgery was the right thing.  Since surgery I've been researching and reading on this and I wonder now why surgery was recommended. But it is what it is and we just have to focus on recovery.  I've read recovery as short as several weeks to 2-3 years so it's a wide spectrum.  All I can advice you is to keep exercising when you can and keep icing.  Not sure what type of shoulder surgery you had in that you're not allowed to exercise just yet.  Goodluck!  You're not alone!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.