Frozen shoulder - duration without treatment?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I've had frozen shoulder since September 2015 due to aggressive cleaning. I'm 44 and a Type1 diabetic and am hypothyroid, 2 risk factors for FZ. I live in the US and have gone to PT for about 3 weeks prior to diagnosis in January. I had to stop due to the severe pain and have now seen a second orthopedic surgeon this past Friday. I couldn't get a cortisone shot due to my horribly high sugars and a1c (which Isn't being helped by the stress of this FZ issue). I've read lots of medical papers on pubmed about this and am planning to ride it out. I guess this condition isn't well researched and I'm wondering what do people do for pain? I've tried codeine, ibuprofen 600, and salonpas patched but nothing is helping. Also I've heard that lots of scar tissue builds up in shoulder but 84% of people with no intervention get back to 100% in an average length of 15 months. So does scar tissue eventually melt away? Very odd. Also just wondering if anyone out there can tell me how long it took til they finally healed? I'm not sure what stage I'm in. Maybe 1 or 2. Pain is still very bad and my right shoulder is definitely already frozen. It's hard to keep a straight face or have fun when all you can focus on is the pain. Only positive is I'm getting good at left handed activities.

Thanks

Maddie

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just wanted to update the group as I am so excited that my pain has finally eased up a bit due to MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) 1000mg an herbal supplement. I read that someone else tried it and figured I'd give it ago. Took the first horse pill last night with food and I kept waking up wondering if my shoulder had finally unfrozen as there was barely any pain. Then I'd stretch and realize that the pain is still there but not upon rest. I'm going to take these twice a day and pray that it continues. Figured I'd share as pain has gone from 8 to 2 overnight. No side effects with this either. Good luck.
    • Posted

I bought it at CVS, next to the vitamins. It says MSM 1000 mg on bottle. Also says for joint pain. I'm still taking the 600mg of Ibuprofen but that never really helped. I still don't believe there's no pain at rest. If I force it sure. Incredible. I hope it works for you too.
    • Posted

I just picked up a bottle at GNC. I wanted the 1500mg dose, but could only find the 1000mg. Will let you know how it goes. smile
    • Posted

Yes let me know. I just went and bought two more bottles. I'm so nervous that the store will run out and I will be without it! I guess that just goes to show how neurotic FZ and pain can make a person. Hope it helps you too. I'm dying to know!!
  • Posted

Maddie, You do not have a frozen shoulderer if aggressive cleaning caused this condition. You have a traumatic arthritis and will feel better soon and should be  100% by September.

• Posted

Well I got 3 separate diagnosis from three different orthos, all FZ. My mom had it and I've got the same issues as everyone else. I'm also diabetic and hypothyroid. The X-rays and MRIs showed no arthritis. So I'll just have to go with that diagnosis.
    • Posted

Yes, it's probably FS, but due to being diabetic or just bad luck, not due to over-use. Regardless, I'm glad the MSM is helping! 
    • Posted

You will have full ranges by Setember or earlier and be pain free, FS would take much longer. Keep us posted. I will bet the farm on that !
  • Posted

Sorry you have Frozen Shoulder too. I have had the condition since 2015, started in July and got really severe in November.  My shoulder is still frozen too.

Also a Diabetic and opted not to have the surgery. My doctor said most Diabetics take about 3 years to heal/go through the cycle of Frozen Shoulder. Pretty painful stuff.

I take Norco for pain and muscle relaxers at night help a little. Good luck.

• Posted

PS. you can kill your Frozen Shoulder pain with Tylenol? Hmm that wouldn't be a Frozen Shoulder. I have a VERY high pain tolerence and this is unbearable for almost a year now. Boy, sounds you lucked out and do not have a Frozen Shoulder?  Did they give you an MRI to confirm? 
    • Posted

No not even the codeine works. The pain has only improved with the herbal supplement MSM 1000mg. I believe it decreased the inflammation and worked within hours. Amazing stuff. I take one pill every day and take some regular ibuprofen now. Can't believe this is helping! Totally recommend it.
  • Posted

Is the MDM still working Maddie?
    • Posted

Yes thank god. My only relief is the daily MSM. sometimes I go a little too long and the annoying pain starts up again and I know it's time for another pill. Just one a day but my mental health has also improved with it. The miserable snapping person is gone now due to being able to manage the constant ache. Sharp pain still there with over exertion but that is easier to manage. Good luck and hope it works for you. The new ortho I saw Friday was on board with MSM and also recommended fish oil for lubrication so I'm going to try that. He put me on Celebrex and I'm going to start PT in 2 weeks. He says I need to start breaking up the adhesions. Ugh not looking forward to that!
  • Posted

I don't know if it's the MSM working, or if I'm just leaving that really painful stage and entering the thawing phase, but I'm going to keep taking it, at least I get back to my normal range. It certainly isn't hurting!
    • Posted

Exactly what I thought as well. Although I do notice when I'm due for another pill cause the annoyance comes back. I'm scared cause my doc thinks I need aggressive PT due to arm being severely locked up now. He prescribed me Celebrex which he says to start two weeks prior. Also says continue MSM and get fish oil for lubrication. We'll see how it goes. Best of luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.