Frozen shoulder - duration without treatment?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I've had frozen shoulder since September 2015 due to aggressive cleaning. I'm 44 and a Type1 diabetic and am hypothyroid, 2 risk factors for FZ. I live in the US and have gone to PT for about 3 weeks prior to diagnosis in January. I had to stop due to the severe pain and have now seen a second orthopedic surgeon this past Friday. I couldn't get a cortisone shot due to my horribly high sugars and a1c (which Isn't being helped by the stress of this FZ issue). I've read lots of medical papers on pubmed about this and am planning to ride it out. I guess this condition isn't well researched and I'm wondering what do people do for pain? I've tried codeine, ibuprofen 600, and salonpas patched but nothing is helping. Also I've heard that lots of scar tissue builds up in shoulder but 84% of people with no intervention get back to 100% in an average length of 15 months. So does scar tissue eventually melt away? Very odd. Also just wondering if anyone out there can tell me how long it took til they finally healed? I'm not sure what stage I'm in. Maybe 1 or 2. Pain is still very bad and my right shoulder is definitely already frozen. It's hard to keep a straight face or have fun when all you can focus on is the pain. Only positive is I'm getting good at left handed activities.

Thanks

Maddie

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you live in the U.S. what did you surgeon say?  I did physical therapy to get rid of the frozen shoulder but then after 6 months it came back.  Then I had surgery and I am fine now.  Why are you suffering needlessly when you can get good treatment here?  The scar tissue will never go away. It has to be removed.  
  • Posted

Hi Maddie, In 2009, I dealt with alot of neck and shoulder pain, but it was never too bad that a motrin (or two) couldn't handle.  When my arm started losing range of motion and I couldn't lift it, I decided to go to the doctor. He did xray on shoulder and said it was frozen shoulder.  There was a surgery that could be done to help me heal quicker, but I opted out.  I went straight to therapy and they showed me what to do at home in one visit.  After doing one day of arm excercises, I started getting use of my arm again, so I contined with simple exercised and waited the process out.  It took me about 15 months from the start of the problem to completely healing.  I'm on here today 7 years later because I believe the shoulder has returned. 
  • Posted

I've been diagnosed with frozen shoulder 2 months ago..had cortisone injection with pain killers. .The cortisone helped with taking the edge off the pain but some nights would be very challenging. .I go for PL once a week nd tht helped me with range of motion as I couldn't stretch my right arm to the top nor do any rear movement. .but I still managed my lifestyle with this limited range. .but a few days ago I did some intensive domestic cleaning nd the next morning I was in excruciating pain nd could not even lift my right arm..went for a second cortisone injection nd now doctor suggest a opt as I'm only 43 yrs old..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.