frustrated with Drs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Could use some help on this. I'm 48 years old and have suffered symptoms like pink eye the last 5 years, on and off, but just kept with the eye drops, etc and gave it weeks to run the course. Two months ago, I broke out in different places on my face with it spreading and changing until the week before Christmas when the spots that had been red previously broke out with pimples inside and other symptoms of Rosacea. I talked to my family (been estranged all my life until recently) who said Rosacea runs in my family; all the females on my mother's side.

The day of Christmas, the Rosacea encircled my eye and became a sort of pink eye mixed with very swollen rimmed eyelids on both the top and bottom. It became increasingly worse to create these pimples on my eyelash line that form pus (assuming styes). I went to the Dr last week with my face broken out into my eye. He wouldn't listen to one work I said but automatically began treatment for Shingles. I said this was preposterous and that it all had to be connected. This appt went down from there and I ended up storming out as he an one other Dr just wouldn't hear one word I was saying and told me that I was trying to be treated for all my problems in one appt. Ugh. I was given antibiotics and sent to an eye Dr. He said Shingles was ridiculous and just put it down to 'eye infection' then told me to see a dermatologist.

I did a lot of research and found that I am 100% certain this is Blepharitis. I am assuming it has to be linked to the Rosacea but just want to get a proper diagnosis. I am frantic. I start school again in another week and look just horendous. One stye would drain but no relief and I keep the compresses on (which do help for about half the day) but some days I just wake up worse and more swollen on my lids. I'm about to order tinted fashion glasses just to be able to go back to school without so much embarrassment.

I don't know what to do; I stick out like a sore thumb at the college normally and have been hiding now. I wear sunglasses all the time and don't want to face my husband. I just don't know what to do about any of this. Any help or advice is really appreciated.!imageimageimage

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Have you looked into essential oils to treat this? I don't know enough about them to advise on which ones to try, but a little research goes s long way. I have heard that tea tree oil is good for different types of infections, etc. The one thing I do know, is whatever you use, be sure to dilute with a carrier oil. Your research should explain all that.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi. Have you looked into essential oils to treat this? I don't know enough about them to advise on which ones to try, but a little research goes s long way. I have heard that tea tree oil is good for different types of infections, etc. The one thing I do know, is whatever you use, be sure to dilute with a carrier oil. Your research should explain all that.

Good luck!

• Posted

Dear Dawn,

I was able to kill Blepharitis. The person I know killed it before me and she had this rash moving up onto her eyelids and on. She used a product that is no longer available. I looked online for the ingredient that was in her product, which was an antibacterial facial scrub. I was able to kill my blepharitis but it took longer as the Benzethonium Chloride was less than what was in her product.

If you do not have sensitive skin you could give it a try.

I used Wet Ones, antibacterial hand wipes, for over 3 months and killed it. These are the ones purchased in the US. The ones in the UK have Benzalkonium in them and people say they are harsher.

My daughter used these wipes to kill a stye she had on her eye. She did it in about 2 1/2 days but kept using the wipes for 4 days to make sure.

This is not an overnight cure. I took over 3 months to kill it. I wiped along the lash line with the wipes 4 times a day for over a week then went down to 3 times a day for about a month. After that it was 2 times a day for a little over 2 months. That was not hard at all.

If you are allergic to detergents, fabric softeners, lanolin or aloe you may not be able to use these.

Eye doctors on an online site said that they used antibiotics in an "off label use" to kill blepharitis. That meant that putting the antibiotics on the eyelash or affected areas and not in the eye, but yet safe to use around the eye area. This would be costly but effective.

When I asked the eye doctor why it was put in the eye instead of on the problem area he old me "Some gets on it."

You could try on just one area and see if it helps your styes at first. I was able to use mascara and kill it at the same time. That involves throw away wands and using 2 each time you wear mascara. Let me know when or if you want that info. Makeup can reinfect you so you need to use new and never double dip anything that goes on your face. Wash each eye area with a different wash cloth as can infect your other eye area. A Dr. online said that too. I used white cloths as could bleach them.

Any questions, please let me know. I hope you get some relief soon.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hello. I'm far from claiming to know what you have. I can only tell you that in my case, Blepharitis, MGD, Rosacea, Ocular Rosacea and Acne can be connected. Three years ago, I didn't know any of the above. Now, I know very well all of these. I can elaborate about each, from my own personal experience, but I'll describe one episode. I'm dealing with Bleph for several years, with Rosacea getting stronger and stronger (mostly red flushes). A few months back I started seeing red dots that grew bigger into pustules (or similar) . It was fast and they were many,.

I went to a dermatologist who prescribed Doxycycline and Clindamycin.

I can't say for sure, but I believe it is all connected through Demodex.

• Posted

Dawn,rub Manuka Honey around your eye. Google it,its good

for your eyes. I use it every day.

• Posted

Dawn,rub Manuka Honey around your eye. Google it,its good

for your eyes. I use it every day.

• Posted

I have found the thing that works for me - I agree that my blepharitis is related to rosacea - someone on Facebook suggested following the protocol recommended in a Facebook group called Rosacea Rescue - they suggest the use of a product (topically - NOT orally) that has Ivermectin in it to kill off the demodex - you can get this in prescription form (in the US anyway) in a product called Soolantra which has 1.00% Ivermectin in the product or you can use a product which has a higher percentage 1.75% Ivermectin that can be purcahed on Amazon.I joined the FB group and learned so much - please just do that and then read from a whole variety of people who have the same challeges with skin and eyes and then consider your options. People have many testimonials with pictues and examples of overcoming Rosacea and/or blepharitis.

I have had blepharitis since college (20's and I am now 51) and tried so many different things and been to so many different doctors (that meant well - I guess) but just weren't helpful (dermatologist, opthamologist, general practicioners). My lash line was always red and inflamed and I would get whitehead type spots along my lash line with my lashes missing and thinned.

I am so happy now to have healthy looking eyes and my eyelashes have grown back - it is a wonderful thing after so many years of suffering from this frustrating condition. Best of luck to you - prayers you find what works for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.