FSH Level Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had a blood test for menopause. My (UK) FSH level came back at 58.9. Is this indicative of peri-menopause, it is a high level, I have no idea what this means. Please could someone kindly explain the readings to me ?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi LW. I'm copy pasting some info. from menopause org

"Sometimes, elevated follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels are measured to confirm menopause. When a woman’s FSH blood level is consistently elevated to 30 mIU/mL or higher, and she has not had a menstrual period for a year, it is generally accepted that she has reached menopause.

However, a single FSH level can be misleading in perimenopause since estrogen production does not fall at a steady rate from day to day. Instead, both estrogen and FSH levels can vary greatly during perimenopause. One elevated FSH level is not enough to confirm menopause." 

• Posted

not until periods have declined to approx 3-4 per year ( no hrt or birth control use as this gives false reading) does the FSH show menopausal range ( happened to me) hormones are too erractic in peri and can give two different readings in one day ..

12-14 months no periods following peri = post menopause .

jay x

• Posted

As you probably know, FSH stands for follicle stimulating hormone. When your supply of eggs starts to run down, and changes in your hormone balance mean that you are not ovulating and releasing eggs so readily, FSH goes into overdrive to try and combat this. So, a high level of FSH can mean that you a drawing closer to menopause.
  • Posted

Indicative of perimenopause yes. Of menopause no.

How old are you?

• Posted

I am 49   50 in september   been having awful flashes day and night and sweats all night long   missed my period too  but have other health issues so dont know what is causing what !
    • Posted

Likely perimenopause regardless of other health issues. If you're not on any HRT yet some Vitex-Agnus Castus herb for some 6 months could help.

X

• Posted

thanks x would a reading of 58.9 be high enough to cause continual flashes and sweats ? i am trying to eliminate other causes
    • Posted

FSH is elevated because the ovaries are not working well anymore. So that may indicate that menopause is approaching. The flushes/flashes are just another symptom of that. Before worrying youself sick be sure that menoase can bring along loads of symptoms. Perhaps it would be beneficial for you to make a record of them so that you can talk to your doctors. There's a pinned discussion here with menopause resources and I've recently added some "record sheets" for peri(menopause symptoms. Women around 50 that have night sweats and flushes/flashes is most certainly menopause approaching.

X

• Posted

I was fine until I had three teeth extracted ....doctor says the stress of it has triggered menopause. I keep getting butterflies in my stomach all the time too,, no idea why, it makes me feel uncomfortable and I feel very frightened all the time for no reason !!!! Its a total nightmare, is it normal to sweat/flush even with a hot drink ? Dont know how much longer I can stand this...no sleep , insomnia , I dont even feel like myself anymore x
    • Posted

It's normal. Besides Vitex for hormones if anxiety is too much you can try GABA as a supplement. 3 caps a day. X
  • Posted

Normal FSH level will differ depending on a person's age and gender.

Male

Before puberty: 0 - 5.0 mIU/ml

During puberty: 0.3 - 10.0 mIU/ml

Adult: 1.5 - 12.4 mIU/ml

Female:

Before puberty: 0 - 4.0 mIU/ml

During puberty: 0.3 - 10.0 mIU/ml

Women who are still menstruating: 4.7 - 21.5 mIU/ml

After menopause: 25.8 - 134.8 mIU/ml

mIU/ml = milli international units per milliliter

Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different samples. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test result.

• Posted

Could well be peri meno

if you take HRT or birth control pill the FSH result will not be natural result.

i am age 50 and post menopause Ladywear.

have you had other routine blood checks too

ie. vit D, B12, Thyroid, Ferritin, fasting blood sugars etc check all is okay 

• Posted

I am trying to eliminate other causes of my torrential night sweats and hot flashes. I have Periodontal Disease in my mouth which is quite bad at the moment and I also have ME which is relapsing at the moment....I have had loads of blood tests everything came back normal ...i was worried the dental infections could be causing the sweats and hot flashes but the white blood cell count is normal as is the CPR ...everything normal apart from female hormone FSH which doctor said is borderline peri-menopause. I thought my symptoms a bit extreme for a borderline reading
    • Posted

Hi

when i began peri aged 39/40 mine began with night sweats, woke uo sopping wet, legs slipping off each other .. That was my key symptom.

then the odd day flush.. Then other symptoms over the following years.

periods declined steadily over the ten year peri phase ..

jay x 

• Posted

oh no cant stand 10 years of this..i cant take medications as intolerant so looks like i am stuck with it   hope things are better for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.