Funny tingling all over body

Posted , 93 users are following.

Hi everyone!

For about 6 weeks now, off and on, I've had this weird tingling all over my body.

At times it'll be concentrated in one place (like pins and needles) in both my feet or a hand or a shin. And then other times like tonight, it'll be like little sudden twitches of tingling...almost like a little buzzy, tingling insect. So tonight, buzz on my top lip and then my scalp and then my big toe and then my thumb and then my cheek. I go to scratch myself to make it stop (though it's definitely on the inside....not like a skin condition).

I went to the doctors about 4 weeks ago and he was very dismissive. Said it wouldn't be anything serious as neurological stuff would involve chronic persistent pins/needles in one specific area. I was texted for thyroid and glandular fever (as I mentioned I'd had a really bad cold and sore throat and that's when it seemed to have started). Both tests came back normal.

It's very annoying. I do have sciatica and wonder if that's causing it? The little tingles all over are keeping me awake right now!

Perhaps I should go back to the docs? To be honest, he made me feeling like a raving hypochondriac last time (despite the fact he could see from my records is not been to the doctors in over 10 years, apart from an A&E visit for a broken foot!).

Any ideas?

1 like, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you feeling better? Visited neurologist, I'm feeling the same. Please help
    • Posted

I'm feeling much better. I had full blood works and they all came back fine. Within a few weeks, everything seemed to settle down. I still get the occasional leg or hand tingles but on the whole, it is much better and nearly gone.
    • Posted

No...doctor said that if it didn't clear up on its own, to go back. But with a couple of weeks, it had started to get better.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding to my concerns. Happy to hear you feel better. I'm in the neuro. Office right now, she said I do not present any sign on multiple sclerosis but I requested her an MRI, she prescribed me some medicine for the tingling/buzzing sensation all over my body. Awaiting for blood work to be done right at this moment. That the tingling will leave soon. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hey grace.hope you are doing well i am going to that right now .did you find the cause or take any medication
    • Posted

Hi,

Me also for the past 8 month and i was diagnosed last week with "Small fiber neuropathy"...

I also get tingling all over and all the doc told me it anxiety... The biopsy proved them wrong.

Now i need to find what is the under lying cause to this...

• Posted

Hi,

I have had whole body tingling for 2 1/2 years. It is stronger at times and mild at other times. My MRI was negative as was all my bloodwork including extensive autoimmune testing (lupus etc). My doc suggested seeing a small fiber neurologist also. I was wondering if you found the cause of the SFN and who did the biopsy. I'd love to hear how you are doing.

• Posted

Same here, mine changes like that too, sometimes a lot and then not so much, the back pain also varies
    • Posted

Hi there. I have seen a rheumatologist who has ruled out lupus, fibromyalgia etc. I'm

Seeing a neurologist in 3 weeks. I am having a really bad patch at the moment ... awful tingling and joint/limb pain. Visual snow bad too. Will keep you posted as to whether they find anything. Sometimes I think drs think I'm making this up!

• Posted

Hi

Could I ask where did they take the biopsy from, as my doctor said she has no idea why I have tingling all over,doing blood but she said no rush give it time it probably go.

• Posted

Make sure they check your Vitamin D!!! I had numbness and tingling all over for 4yrs. I went to four different neurologist and they did all kind of test on me. Everything came back negative. I finally gave in and took antidepressant since the doctors kept insisting it was anxiety. I took the happy pill for two years and the tingling and numbness NEVER went away. It was hell coming out of it. Then one day I came in for my annual physical and a regular doctor ran my blood test which included the Vitamin D. It came back at the lower end. I believe it was 22 or 30. Your level should be above 50 for it to heal. I've been taking 8,000iu/day for a month and a half now. All of the pain in my joints and numbness/tingling has eased by a lot. It'll take months to heal, but I feel more normal now then the past freaking 4 yrs. I'm waiting for my next appointment to check on my level. Please do a search on low Vitamin D!

• Posted

Hi

I have had joint pain in my legs for as long as I can remember. But the tingly sensation has only occurred within the last two years

I have seen a neurologist and they cannot find anything wrong. I have been given anti-depressant but they don’t seem to make a difference.

Interesting what you said about the Vitamin D.  When did you start to notice an improvement?

• Posted

Hi rijoad,

The reason for SFN has not yet been found, which can cause a widespread sense of tingling, sensitivity to clothing, burning in the feet ... but I have other symptoms that are not related to what I understand ... such as headache, occasional ears ringing, eyes floaters, muscle spasms, occasional Instability, hands that fall asleep at night - the two small fingers (Ulnar nerve) and i need to shake them to get feeling back. My tests only show SFN ...The test that i do - Berra, SEP, EMG, NCV, rheumatic blood tests, standard blood tests (sugar, b12, b1 b6 e a k and etc), simulations such as MRI and CT head and neck, MRI back, X-ray of the spine , Lung x-ray, colonoscopy and segmoscopy to detect inflammatory bowel disease such crohen and colitis ... all the tests take a lot of mental energy from me, I try to live the day and not think about what it could be and what could happen because it can get a person crazy....

• Posted

Hi sharon,

A biopsy was taken from the ankle... Sorry about the late enswer...

• Posted

Thanks . I could not sign in for some reason lol so just read reply.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, my name is Kim and I was a nurse before I became disabled.  I too suffer from the tingling all over from the neck area down.  The other reason I'm commenting on your post is that I can't believe your doctor said that about not knowing why your whole body was tingling!  It's probably a good thing I'm not you because there are nerve endings going all through out the human body (she should have learned this in medical school).  You probably need to see a neurologist for further testing and diagnosis.  Also I would find another doctor as well.  There's a reason why we have sayings in nursing school:  "Do you want to speak to the doctor in charge or the nurse who knows what the Hell is going on?"  "Nurses, we stop the doctors from killing you."  In the hospital setting a doctor might spend 5 minutes with a patient per day, where nurses are there 8, 12 or 16 hours a day.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Cornerstone2017,

Just so you know that the sun isn't the only source of Vitamin D especially when Winter comes for certain states and countries. No one receives Vitamin D everyday from the sun since the sun isn't always out. Vitamin D also comes from drinking Milk. I understand about Milk allergies and lactose intolerances where it seems like most would have to take Vitamin D supplements in order to get an adequate amount of Vitamin D. I know there is dairy-free and soy milks, but not quite sure how much Vitamin D those types of milk actually have in them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.