Further suggestions/post food poisoning left side abdominal pain, etc

Posted , 5 users are following.

Quick info being 36 years old, female, only current diagnosis being asthma.

Had 1 child, male 5/4/2014.

Had a left side ovarian cyst removed in 11/1/2016.

I do have the mirena IUD. 

I was having frequent kidney stones which I had one get stuck on the right side (thought it was appendicitis) that caused 2 ER visits in 2 weeks due to enema setting in on the kidney after a week of pain meds and no anti-inflammatory meds. I was able to pass this stone. I read where Chanca Piedra is a natural supplement that destroys kidney stones which I started taking in July (had a x-ray on the kidneys in Sept which showed that they are now officially clear of any stones so I assume the supplement is working and I am sticking by taking them now). 

Problem: I had food poisoning in April 2017 (literally was throwing up with diarrhea for about 3 days within 2 hours of eating a quarter pounder from McDonalds). So the throwing up subsided but the diarrhea was a main issue up until the colonoscopy I underwent on Oct 31st that was clear with the exception of a pre-cancerous polyp that was found and removed in my colon (yay for colonoscopies every 5 years now!).  Bloodwork to check for celiacs and ibs and both were negative. 

They suggested doing an Endoscopy however because my Obgyn had noticed my small intestine appeared inflamed during the laparoscopy he had done removing my cyst, he persuaded the Gastro to do a Barium CT imagery. So I just went through this last Friday 12/15. This was also clear (noting a 1.5cm cyst on the left ovary again). Because of this the Gastro wants me to wait 3 more months and if my symptoms still persist we will go over on my appt which was scheduled for 4/25/18.

My Obgyn put me on Bentyl and had me undergo avoiding dairy for 2 weeks (something damaged in the lining of the stomach after food poisoning, give the stomach a rest). Avoided gluten for 2 weeks. Went through the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). 

Current Symptoms right now is left-side abdominal pain, bloating (literally look like I'm pregnant on several days, I am active and go to the gym 4-5 days a week which my scale numbers are literally stuck at 180 and I look like I am 140). I have had the cyst which I have had before and this pain is not that, as I am aware of where my ovary is and what the cyst pain felt like before the food poisoning. The utmost BEST description I can give is that I feel like I have drank a bottle of hot sauce. Doesn't matter what I eat or drink. As much as I feel like it is TMI, I have always had active BM's (typically through life I would say a normal day was 3 BM's, I had 1 day during pregnancy that I didn't have 1). Since the food poisoning I go 3-5 times a day, and it's urgent as in I have to rush to the bathroom from the burning and pain from going. The diarrhea did subside but I am still have a frequency and burning (yes I like spicy food and I do eat spicy food, HOWEVER as I have mentioned I went through bland diets so at this point I am being stubborn and just eating what I want because it doesn't matter what I do or don't eat right now). The Gastro was concerned that I had crohns and the food poisoning might have set it off, yet the colonoscopy and CT were clear so he said he is unconcerned with that presently. He said I do seem to have symptoms of IBS but there is concern of something else going on, yet I am being put on hold again. 

So I understand abdominal pain is vague and it is SUPER hard to diagnose, I wasn't sure if anyone has been down similar roads or has any suggestions I could nudge to the Gastro or whoever to help resolve this matter. I would be lying if constantly having bowel issues doesn't make me depressed and it's hard getting onto my 3 year old son whenever he flops on my belly or kicks me in the belly. 

No other notations to give except that my face has been acne ridden since having my son in May 4, 2014, and I bruise super easy now. I do know some suggest the skin reflects some bowel disorders. I constantly have cotton mouth problems but I do take a lot of antihistamines for my asthma. Funny notation is that my finger nails are literally the BEST they have ever been in my life. They used to split in layers and chip super easy.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Right, I mean the Hida Scan set all my symptoms off. With the gallbladder ejection being 23%, they are moving to remove it (removal recommendations are at 35% or less). But I'll talk to the surgeon and I'll keep you all posted on what is being done, how it is afterwards, or if he finds something during the surgery that brings up a new issue. Just figured it's good so that maybe if someone is in a similar situation they know which route it may go for them as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.