Fusing Questions

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I am new to this forum and lichen schlerosus.

I was diagnosed a few days ago but have been having a flare for a couple of years now (since summer 2013). It was mainly itching so I had many misdiagnosises with thrush. Finally was given eumovate for eczema which relieved the itching temporarily until the final diagnosis of LS and so have been using dermovate for the past few days. Hardly itching at all now after this treatment. Main problem is just the pain when having sex as I believe maybe my vagina has narrowed a bit.

I have been using dilators which has improved the problem a lot. But I think I need to invest in some bigger dilators as the ones I have were the cheapest I could find so only go up to 30mm diameter, which I don't think is big enough (I am 18 years old and a student so couldn't afford ones for more than £20).

I have some questions about fusing as I have read a lot about it on the internet.

My main question is does fusing happen to everyone with LS? 

I am only 18 so the thought of fusing happening terrifies me. 

Considering I think I have caught it early as I don't see any fusing that has happened already (only a few small white patches and purple ish colour to my vagina), if I am using my steroid ointment and dilators to improve the condition and taking precautions then will this stop fusing from happening? 

I cannot tell from research if it is something that happens to severe cases of LS or something that happens when untreated. 

I am hoping if I do everything I can to help with my LS - which I don't think is as bad as a lot of people's due to not much pain or itchiness anymore and vast improvement lately - then maybe fusing will not happen to me.

If anyone has any info they can tell me regarding my question then that would be really appreciated

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kasia

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh I also discovered I had LS when I was around 4 years old. So it was inactive for a good 12 years and now has come back. Don't know if that will help anyone but thought I would mention it!
  • Posted

Do you buy medical dilators or smth? Probably dildo is cheaper? wink
    • Posted

I don't know what smth stands for haha sorry I bought some medical ones they were £20. My mum said the same about the dildo haha but I am worried maybe that would be too big. I reckon it would be cheaper though I think I might do that smile 
    • Posted

Smth is something shortly biggrin) of course, your mom is right wink Use coconut oil, dear, women here say that it helps a lot for fusing prevention and cure.
    • Posted

Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but where would I buy coconut oil?

Thanks

Barbara

• Posted

Grocery store.  It's an item used for cooking.
  • Posted

Hello Kasia

I'm so sorry that you've joined us, but great news that you've caught it early. If you are in the UK you can get dilators on prescription. I've lost the leaflet but I think the firm is called Owen Mumford, or something like that (maybe I'm getting confused with the band). My doctor checked and then prescribed them for me. They would normally have been about £45.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Ah thank you for your reply. I just looked up the Owen Mumford dilators you can get and funnily enough those are the ones I managed to get for £20 off Amazon! They are £50 on that website though. I find the biggest one is not quite big enough diameter wise as it goes to 30mm and I discovered others go to 35mm which I think is what I need. 

Thank you for your reply! 

• Posted

sounds like you're really onto it! and also have had great advice...so may i add my good wishes to you and hugs x
    • Posted

Thank you! You have been a great help also as you've commented lots on my previous discussion. Thank you for that and I hope that all is going well for you x
    • Posted

oh thank you kasij.

so nice! well i just shed a little tear due to your kindness which i really appreciated.

I think i have become somehow invisible since getting this. So glad you're on to it and have had improvement. Me too! But its up and down. Though I want to FEEL so i'm letting myself go through these emotions and just noticing them. Once i m more in control I'll prob take kate's advice and do something for others. I've been thinking about a course in herbal medecine to add a complementary side to my work. x

• Posted

I really think you should do that! You seem to know your stuff really well and are amazing at helping people. You've definitely helped me a lot. Especially when I was first diagnosed, your answers and comments have helped me become less sad about it all and more determined to make it better. So I thank you a lot for that. 

I'm glad you're letting yourself go through the emotions. it is important to do that because you don't want to buckle it all up. 

I consider myself lucky that my case is no where near as bad as a lot of the women on here. I am hoping that with the use of the steroid ointment & dilators, soon things will be back to (almost) normal. Fingers crossed! x

• Posted

Really! Thank you so much.

Yes i'll get on with looking into it. What about yourself? What are your plans? Where do you go from here? What would you like to do? x

• Posted

Well to be honest I am just trying to hope for the best and not think too much of it. Hopefully I won't have any of the fusion happening. It seems that all I have are some white patches and a slight change of colour. I didn't ever get much splitting of the skin unless I itched and the main problem for me was the painful sex. I definitely consder myself lucky compared to some of the people on here.

I think I will continue to use the dermovate for a few months as well as the dilators and see if that improves. Hopefully everything will go back to normal after that. If not then I will look into changing my diet a lot and estrogen. 

I think I will also invest in the coconut oil as that's been recommended a lot.

I just really hope it doesn't get too bad as it's already causing me a lot of stress and I have just started university so it's not very nice timing. I also feel bad for my boyfriend and don't want it to affect our relationship. He is so lovely about it all thankfully x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.