Fybogel

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anybody else get pain when they take fybogel it is happening all the time now I only take one sachet a day.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

THE doc in hospital prescribed Fybogel but it didn't suit me.  I drank plenty of water but my stomach was always bloated and the pain was worse .  BTW I have trouble posting in this Forum , as the screen keeps freezing , my keyboard doesnt appear and I can't type etc . Do you have this problem? Anyone else have this problem? 

• Posted

My screen also keeps freezing as well only on this site though.  I have bloating problems with fybogel I have started diluting it with twice as much water than the packet says and find this helps, it is so sticky if I use the recommended amount of water and I think this causes the pains with me. I figure that as im supposed to drink lots of water anyway it wont hurt. I have also been using cosmocol which I get on prescription and this isn't too harsh.

• Posted

Hi, hearing about pain caused by Fybogel, where is the pain and what kind of pain? I am asking because I have had a dull ache on and off for the past few months, have had every test in the book and have been diagnosed with DD. I was advised to take Fybogel and just started today but my tummy ache has been worse! I am wondering if it is the Fybogel? 
    • Posted

Hi Alison my tummy was an ache as well on the left hand side quite high up I was taking my fybogel at bed time and was getting pains all night but after reading the leaflet realised that its not to be taken at bedtime. I think it was a bit too thick for me and have started watering it down even more and its a lot better, I have recently been taking cosmocol prescribed by my gp and it seems to suit me better as its not quite so thick. trial and error. Have you had a ct scan of colonoscopy which will usually diagnose DD
    • Posted

It's very annoying that it keeps freezing and it's getting worse! lol! And I'm not getting all my notifications when people reply to me. I've just seen yours again by chance!  Will try the fybogel with more water and see what happens.  But I'm scared because the pain is intense with fyblogel. I think next time I see a doc I'll ask for cosmocol.  Thanks for the fab tips and advice ! I really appreciate it !

• Posted

You can buy Cosmocol at a pharmacy I get mine from gp because im 67 and don't have to pay for it. Since ive been using it instead of fybogel I seem to be fine so fingers crossed.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Yes, a sigmoidoscopy resulted in DD diagnosis as well as ct scan. I don’t think my tummy ache was associated with the fybogel though I have not taken any today. I will try it again at the weekend. I will also look into cosmocol. 
    • Posted

Christine, how long you had DD and did you ever get the infections and have to be on antibiotics? I'm going to look this Cosmocol up. Thanks for sharing 

• Posted

Ive had it since April I had a pain for a few months beforehand but thought it was a pulled muscle as I go to the gym it got gradually worse and I was in terrible pain gp painkillers wouldn't touch it. GP sent me for a CT scan and a colonoscopy which showed diverticulitis. For some reason it cleared up by itself because by the time I had the colonoscopy the pain had gone, I didn't have any antibiotics but still get pain from time to time, I went to my gp regarding the pain although not intolerable it was bothering me gp said she didn't think I had an infection just inflammation so have a fluid diet for a couple of day she also prescribed cosmocol as I was constipated not totally but my stools were quite hard at times and my gp said that this would be considered constipation I must be careful not to get a blockage.  The cosmocol did soften my stools but I thought I would try fybogel as a lot of people on this site use it but I think it was a bit to thick and heavy for me and I was getting a bit of pain and bloating so I have gone back to using the cosmocol which thankfully suits me.  I do get pain from time to time so im trying to see if I can eliminate what causes it by writing down every day what I have eaten and what days I have pain.  I have also changed my diet and no longer eat red meat or anything that might be hard to digest, I had a healthy diet anyway and didn't eat takeaways or processed foods.

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know .  I'll try it !  Yes I hope it continues to work for you .  Do you have IBS too?   Most Diver sufferers , like myself do too. 

• Posted

haven't been diagnosed with IBS would it have been picked up with colonoscopy? I do get a lot of reflux though GORD

• Posted

Christine, you  had actual Diverticulitis  and in bad pain and they didn't give you any antibiotics to take? Did you get the contrast with the Ct Scan? Did they take blood work?

• Posted

I had blood tests done I had contrast by way of cannula when I had the CT scan I also had a colonoscopy. Diverticulitis was diagnosed. I want given any antibiotics. Im assuming that my colon was inflamed and not infected but other than diverticulitis being mentioned on my report I know nothing else
    • Posted

I would assume if your blood work showed infection they would of given you the antibiotics, my white blood cell count was high on the blood work part. I'm glad you didn't have to take them and it cleared up on its own! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.