Fybogel in container

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I sometimes drink a fybogel orange sachet just before bedtime for IBS-C. I say sometimes, because, usually I eat a couple of slices of papaya and it does the trick.

So, I only use fybogel, if I haven't bought papaya (or don't have a ripe one to hand). Anyway, they are both just as effective. Recently, I ran out of the fybogel sachets and they are not available in pharmacies/chemists in Vietnam. So, went online and searched. Pretty much all the sellers shipping to Vietnam have only the Fybogel in a container. Not the sachet type. See pic attached:

Has anyone used this? It says on the container use a spoonful (5.4g) with 150 ml of water. I was wondering how many doses can you get from one container?

It says 100g on the container, so it should be over 15 doses right? (the container must weigh at least 10g). I just can't work out how it can hold even 10 doses, because the container is so small. The picture is nowhere to scale.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi this isn’t an exact answer to your question but does the fybogel really work, what exactly is it. I suffer terrible constipation going over a week with no bm and then having to take senekot syrup as I can’t take tablets and it tastes horrible and makes me feel extremely sick... sometimes it doesn’t even work and my bm is just so big and hard to pass sad sorry for the tmi.

how does the fybogel work does it make you feel sick can it make you sick like vomit that’s a worry of mine as I’m emetophobic.

i appreciate any help you can give me

• Posted

I believe the main ingredient in it is ispaghula husk. Search the internet for it. Also called psyllium husk. It's a bulk forming laxative. But it's not just size, it makes the stool soft, because as I understand when the ispaghula husk is mixed with water and drunk, it abosorbs water as it passes through your digestive system (giving the bulk - increase size of the stool). 

This is why fybogel should always be drunk with lots of water. (otherwise it can cause blockage) It comes in orange or lemon flovour, although I've only tried orange. It tastes pretty nice. You can buy some products that's just the ispaghula husk (no flavouring), and its not that pleasant to drink. I've bought a box of these in Vietnam. it's called Ovata. I don't think its as good as Fybogel. 

Fybogel's never made me vomit. Can you not try it once and see if it makes you vomit ?.. I've never really seen/heard anyone say it made them vomit so doubt it.

All the best. 

• Posted

Yeah I e seen that book, I really want it but I can’t afford it sad 
    • Posted

You are in U.K, right? A library near you should have it. If not, the British Library has a copy in the reading rooms (your local library won't be able to obtain it for you, as it's reference only). 

• Posted

I'm going to research it.  I'm in the USA.  Ironic because I seem to be having a bad day today and actually took an over the counter laxative- dulcolax, and, though I haven't went to the bathroom, it seemed to ease the pressure and bloating.

• Posted

Dulcolax (also called Colax in some places) is been around for ages. Even used with procedures like colonoscopy, alongwith that stuff you drink the day before. e.g. Cleanprep. Dulcolax is very effective. I think it's different to Fibogel though. I'm not a medical person, but I think dulcolax speeds up the food travelling through intestines (it's not really a bulk forming laxative).

From personal expereince, it usually takes 10-12 hours to work. The first time I took it about 1 year ago (first time as far as I can remember, sure I've taken it before as a child) it took 16 hours to work. Funny story. I took 3 tablets at night around midnight, next morning didn't find the urge to go. So I went about my day. Went to Burger King around 4pm, had lunch. Just after lunch, I could really 'feel' the dulcolax kicking in. Burger king toilets it was. They only had one toilet there for guys. Felt a bit guilty spending too much time in there. So be warned.

• Posted

Ha ha Sunsea,  I literally know exactly what you are talking about. I had a very similar experience with that to a girl ask. I actually took it on purpose because I wanted it to kick in the next day. In the past, before these issues got serious, I was able to take the joke I'll ask and in a few hours go to the bathroom and everything was fine. Unfortunately, now that  things are more severe they don't work the same way.  When I went for my colonoscopy last year, I was given all the stuff for prep. Ironically it was over eight hours in till it kicked in. When I called my doctor and pharmacy they were literally lost for words and had no idea what to tell me. I had to take a bunch of other things including supplements and Lynn's ass (omg that's what autocorrect just did to the word Linzess)  in order to go to the bathroom to prepare for the colonoscopy,  I think I made history that day. 

Yesterday, I took to Sanna pills, to do a call access, a serving and a half of MiraLAX, fiber, and ate a ton of fruit.  I was expecting to explode today, however I just had a normal bowel movement. I am happy that I had a normal bowel movement, but I am beside myself it took that much to get me to go.

• Posted

I am starting to think that my IBS symptoms are being caused by me trying to make myself go to the bathroom. I guess that is a good and bad thing.  I guess it's good that I do not, on a regular basis, have IBS symptoms. It's bad however because I am still constipated.  Again, I am in search of a remedy that will make me go to the bathroom without giving me all of the IBS side effects 

• Posted

Okay, I opened the container and inside it there's a plastic bag with the fybogel powder. I reckon it definitely has about 18 doses (I've taken 5 doses and there's still lots left). The container iteself is really small so I was worried it may not have even 10 doses.

The powder has a distinctive taste from the sachets I'm used to (they are both orange flavour and nice to drink though). Container has a spoon inside so you can measure 5.4g easily. Container fybogel works as well as the sachets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.