Gabapentin and Memory Loss

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all, 

Just need some advice. Im 36 on Gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day. Since having this high amount ive started having issues with my memory. Ive forgot to swicth the oven off a few times. Ive forgot to take my tabelts a few times and other things. Can anyone advise me if this is a knowin issue with this drug.? and any advice would be great. 

Im not to sure about going to my GP as im only young still and dont want them to think ive lost the plot. Thanks 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My memory is terrible on Gab....even on the lowest of doses...100 mg at bedtime.  And if you go off of it...do it very slowly and even then it is very rough, insomonia, anxiety.  And check your BP...mine went very high on Gab.
  • Posted

Hi when I was on 900mg a day I would forget if had taken tablet so start putting just right amount put every morning too stop me getting confused or I would panic had I haven't I taken them would also get very foggie with memory u have not lost the plot unfortunately this is one of the many issues with this tablet

• Posted

Im trying to get off gabapentin. Withdrawel is bad. Yes it can cause memory issues. Its not nessarily the safe drug it is toted to be. But some people have no issues.
  • Posted

Thanks folks smile

• Posted

Be VERY WEARY of this drug for some it's great but for some a nightmare good luck I'm finally off it now 1 month in x

• Posted

Tammy what was your dose and how did u wotjdrawel. Did anything help and are you still having symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi Maria I was on 900mg for about a year when I realised my anxiety and panic attacks which I had never suffered before where dew to gabapentin it took me 6 months to come off them I had realy bad withdrawals sickness hearth palpitations sweets chills insomnia more anxiety and a overwhelming feeling of panic mum doctors where No help I found comfort in other people's experience like on here I am 1 month in and yes im still suffering noware near as bad so there is light at the end of the tunnel u just have to believe that.I do see glimers of my old self.. so take it very slowly reducing dosage trust me I tried to rush it once and once was enough xx

• Posted

Same here.  I take 300 mg three times a day and immediately started forgetting this and that . I left a pot boling on the stove, something I have never ,ever done before.  I am mentally very quick and can keep many issues going at one time. However, I stopped in the middle of an intersection as I tried to remember which road to take and now I am waiting for a the ticket to come in the mail because the police have cameras there. I will tell my doctor this on my next appointment, but from my evaluation of the side effects of this drug, I fear this one is the worst.  I am quite old, but my chronic pain issues are too much for me to not take it or something like it. So I have buckled down and write down what I need to remember, although I did miss the meds once or twice even though I had this routine in place.  In just 2 hours of no drug, I started to swear profusely and all the pain misery came back with a vengence. I don't know what to think about it except that I can't risk memory lapses.  Talking to a doctor friend about the forgetfulness part of it, he said that yes, that is one of the side effects.  And here I thought the original worst one was the weight gain.

?As you are young and possibly driving, please be sure that it is not affecting your usage of the car. And , not knowing what you are taking it for, do consult with an older family adult and ask advice as to how to proceed.  You want to keep your doctor helping you, but you want to keep the doctor in the loop too, so that possibly an alternative med can be prescribed.

?Keep reading here and learning. We are not doctors, nor health professionals, just patients like yourself, trying to get well.

?A big cyber hug to you from an old granny.

• Posted

Hi DVLA took my DL off me due to my main health issue so no sadly i dont drive anymore. 
  • Posted

My dose is 2600 mg per day and my memory is effected by this drug
  • Posted

Hi...I have been on gabapentin since October and now take 2100mg daily. I found that I need plenty of sleep and plenty of water daily. If I don't have enough of either then I do not function well at all. I start feel loopy and don't remember appointment dates etc and my hubby thought that I was actually abusing my meds.

• Posted

this post scared me to death....i take 3000mg a day and i am in a constant state of confusion-with severe memory loss.

can the damage caused by this medication be reversed?

• Posted

Yes, memory loss and confusion, fuzzy feeling and extreme tiredness - many people get this.  As far as I am concerned, this drug is poison.  How on Earth can they prescribe this so widely and yet so many people have such horrible side effects.  And dangerous side effects too.  I think it is totally irresponsible for doctors to be dishing this out so randomly and in such huge doses, always telling people to take more and more and more.  Unreal.
  • Posted

iVE BEEN ON 800 mg 4x daily for more than a few years, i am writing because when i got on it years ago the doctor would always ask me before i could even take my seat across from him "hows your memory ms. mccray?  it made me pull up short because i wasnt seeing him with such complaint.  Now since the last couple years i have experienced more and more marked memory loss its a wonder i dont forget to continue typing i forget where im driving too i forget what im doing so rapidly and frequent that i am irritating my kids and myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.