gabapentin and weight gain

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, ive been taking Gabapentin 3600mg a day for about 8 months and have gradually put on nearly a stone, i just wondered if anybody else taking this medication has had this problem or is it probably me just being greedy lol

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As statedn my previous posts our daughter put one astone per month 
  • Posted

Hi there,

if you read on their SMPC (leaflet) its stated one of the side effect is putting weight on (LOL)

• Posted

There is also dozens more side effects, as they dont effect everybody i was just asking as a general query to see if many people have smile
  • Posted

I have been on Gaberpentin for about 18 months and have noticed a steady increase in weight . it seems that a lot of drugs have this affect . I eat mostly healthy and finding it a battle.
  • Posted

Yes this drug and amitriptyline have made me put on 2 stone in under a year some people lose weight others gain

Iam on a large doses 9 X 3 a day 300 mg

• Posted

yes  one of the side effects is that you put on weight....It didnt effect me that way but it can happen....Its not really the medicine ........by taking it it makes you hungry so you want to eat.....Its hard...thank God I am being weaned off....down to 100 mg once a day......................
  • Posted

Weight gain is common. For me it was 4kg of fluid along with 11kg of weight (33 pound in total) from increased appetite (craved carbs and sugar esp.) all within 3 months. Upon cessation the fluid was eliminated in 2 days. The rest has to be lost the hard way.
  • Posted

Easy don't eat
    • Posted

This was not due to eating. Gabapentin caused fluid retention and weight gain of one stone per month. The dietician stated it was not due to diet
    • Posted

I practically had the appetite centre of my brain ''turned off'' for 6-12 months taking this medication....if it hadn't been for my husband, I expect I would have become anorexic....this drug has some ''unusual'' side effects ...it works in the brain after all
  • Posted

Hi there,

Weight gain can be a problem for many people taking this medication.....In actually felt sick at the sight of food and lost over a stone in weight, however you should keep an eye on it, as for some people it is a real problem....also, see many other issues re side effects on it in other discussions on here/.

• Posted

At least forewarned is forearmed, I went into taking this blind, now its up to you and your dr to decide if you want to be on this medication, if is suits you. There is another brand of this type of drug, pregabalin, works v similarly. Some people think it has cleaner side effect profile, ? I don't know as I didn't notice a change myself but perhaps thats the residual damage already done from the gabapentin. I don't have nerve damage, more ''irritated neve roots'' although there is some element of when my back muscles go into spasm they seem to trap the nerves down my legs, in my hips more too. You may decide the benefits outweigh the risks, there are risks with everything, you just need to make that decision now  - good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.