gabapentin and weight gain

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, ive been taking Gabapentin 3600mg a day for about 8 months and have gradually put on nearly a stone, i just wondered if anybody else taking this medication has had this problem or is it probably me just being greedy lol

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am in the USAso not sure what a stone is. :-) I have been on Gabapentin for almost 2 years?  Wow, you take a large dose.  I am trying to decrees and am in 1200 mg a day now.  Hate the stuff, akways feel tired but I also take low dose Xanax.  I was actually prescribed thus med for GI issues and stomach pain. I guess it helps.  I also deal with nausea, no vomiting.  I will feel hungry and eat a meal.  Within half an hour, I feel like I need to eat even though I have had a full meal.  I do not have water retention but have gained probably 15 lbs I don't need.  
  • Posted

If you ready original post you will see our daughter gained one stone per month for 9 months
  • Posted

I have taken gabapentin for a number years...it has been increased over the years.  I definitely have had weight gain...Not an issue because I was underweight before, but it definitely does cause weight gain.  I also take amitriptyline at night with the gabapentin.  These drugs is used for the nerve pain I have, after several neck and spinal cord surgeries.  I Know both of these drugs cause weight gain.  Also, since gabapentin is no longer effective, even after very high levels...they will be taking me off of it immedaitely and switch it to another drug.  I know this already as it was discussed.  I have gained 30 lbs over 5 years.  But I was underweight by 27 lbs .  However, I liked my previous weight and I will be glad to stop both of these drugs.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.