Gabapentin for Distension & Abdominal Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started recently on Gabapentin to treat abdominal distension and pain from IBS-C. The doctor started me on a very low dose (50 mg), and now that I've been on it for 2 weeks, I'm increasing to 100 mg.

Has anyone used Gabapentin to treat abdominal distension and pain? If so, did it help? What dose were you on when it started to help? I've read that 200 mg is required to make a difference.

If your abdominal distension and pain were treated by some other medication, what was it, and did it work? The doctor, after prescribing Gabapentin, told me Cymbalta would be better and recommended I drop the Gabapentin and start Cymbalta. Cymbalta carries a risk of bringing back my old problem, Lymphocytic Colitis, so I'm hesitant to start it. Would love to hear from anyone with experience with these two problems and any treatment.

Thanks!

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take a very mild anti spasmodic for my IBS as and when I need it and this is enough for me. If there is a risk of your previous condition coming back with taking Cymbalta, I would avoid this medication. You could end up giving yourself more problems than you started with.

• Posted

What mild antispasmodic? I was only ever offered mebeverine!

• Posted

Mebeverine was terrible drug for me despite my chemist telling me they were good. Within only a few minutes of swallowing the first tablet, it felt like I had swallowed a pebble despite the tablets not being too big. I had horrendous indigestion, increased nausea and constipation . My chemist told me these tablets were good, but they weren't for me. I stopped them after 4 days and tried over the counter Buscopan which is very mild and actually works! Mebeverine didn't improve my pain one bit, A lot of people have trouble with Mebeverine.

• Posted

I agree mebeverine just left my bowel gurgling continually, it felt like i had a washing machine not a stomach! I think they should advise people to try something mild. I can't take buscopan either that doesn't touch sides.

• Posted

I later read that you should not take Mebeverine if you are constipated because it is designed to bung you up and is more suitable for IBS D. The doctor who prescribed them knew I was constipated from my notes but still prescribed them anyway! I have a strange metabolism which reacts to a lot of prescribed medication. Injuries don't heal properly either because my body doesn't turn pain signals off. An expert told me that this is what had happened when I was injured after a blood test.

• Posted

Hmm that sounds right unless you see the same doctor they do whatever they want. My bowel gets so stuck i can end up in hospital and yet i still get my doctor last week mention my bowels are lose. Since when? My notes say ibsc, query coeliac disease, awaiting camera test. She was silly enough to ask when my camera was and how did it go? Hello did i speak Greek, what part of not yet doesn't she understand? Ridiculous. They still try mebeverine for me, blocked bowel not loose! Grrrrr!

• Posted

When I explained that Mebeverine didn't agree with me, a different doctor listened to my concerns and noted down my reactions. He was happy for me try a different antispasmodic. I did this off my own bat because I didn't want my doctor to try me out on his choice of medications in case I would be hypersensitive to them too.

However, you often find doctors don't communicate effectively with one another and so you get them all saying different things despite all of them having access to your notes.

• Posted

I was given GABAPENTIN for my severe spinal pain but also suffer from bad IBS.

Sadly I suffered very bad giddiness which is one of the side affects mentioned so I stopped taking them. Mind you the side affects listed include the same symptoms we all suffer from with IBS.

I am going to try them again I think as the spinal pain is just too much to bare. I was on morphine but came off it as did not want to become addicted to this drug.

• Posted

Pippa and Sylvia, thanks for your responses.

Pippa, that's what I'm thinking too, but the doctor seems to feel like the chance is small (she couldn't say exactly what the chance was of a recurrence of Lymphocitic Colitis, but she guessed it was around 1%), so I shouldn't worry about it. Of course she doesn't have to live with the outcome.

Sylvia, I'm sorry to hear about your spinal pain. I also have chronic back pain and was prescribed Gabapentin a couple years ago for that but didn't take it at that time. I increased my Gabapentin last night from 50 mg to 100 mg and am feeling pretty dizzy today, but hoping that will go away over time. No impact on my back pain so far, but I think the dose needs to be higher for that.

• Posted

If your doctor can only guess at a 1% chance of your lymphocitic colitis coming back, I wouldn't be happy with that because there is no certainty or guarantee with this presumption.I think if the Gabapentin is making you dizzy, I would switch to anti inflammatory painkillers instead which helps back pain very quickly and you don't have to wait to see if it works or not. Since you had dizziness before with Gabapentin, it is likely you will experience the same side effect again. There is no point in taking a medication that gives you more problems than you started with. I have recurrent back pain from an injury and painkillers work very quickly for me for long periods without side effects.

You know your own body and if you are uncomfortable with the medications you are being offered, trust your own instincts and ask about medications that less likely to cause you problems. I was offered low dose anti depressants for neuralgia and was not given any other less toxic alternatives. I was not comfortable taking the risk, so I decided to live with the pain and try heat treatment which helps to manage the pain.I got the impression that my doctor was not being straight with me about the side effects and was playing down my concerns.

• Posted

Yes, I would really like to treat my gut and not my brain. I've been reading that peppermint oil can sometimes help distension and bloating, as well as a mixture of simethicone, activated charcoal, and magnesium oxide. Anyone have experience with these?

• Posted

Unfortunately, peppermint oil gives me heartburn because I have GERD. Peppermint relaxes my oesophageal sphincter too much and lets acid spew out. My oesophageal sphincter is weak and causes the problem. I have no experience with any of the other remedies you mentioned. However, you could try them anyway because everyone is different and what works for some may not work for another.

• Posted

IVE BEEN A HIGH ANIEXTY PERSON MY WHOLE LIFE AND IT GOES RIGHT TO THE GUT. I HAVE TAKEN LEVSIN AND LIBRAX FOR YEARS FOR BOWEL ISSUE AND ANTIVAN FOE ANIEXTY ISSUE. I HAD A MAJOR HEART ATTACK LAST WEEK AND SO im getting ready to go to a new gastro doctor and have all new test run and see if everything in that area is alright. THEY DONT REGOMEND MY BOWEL DRUGS FOR OVER 65 WHICH I AM NOW BUT DID WONDERS FOR YEARS. BETER THAN THINKING I WAS DYING ON THE POT. REMEMBER YOU REALLY NEED TO WATCH WHAT YOU EAT AND DRINK WITH THIS CONDTION . SMALL AMOUNTS AND MORE OFTEN. MINE HAS JUST GOT OLDER WITH AGE. I HAD BLOCKAGE BECAUSE OF HERITERY COLESTROL. GOOD LUCK WITHDOCTORS. EVERYONE OF THEM WANTS YOU TO DO SOMETHING DIFF. LISTEN TO YOUR MIND AND BODY. KEEP AFOOD JOURNAL. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE. I HAD A CAFE FOR 30 YEARS AND NOW FOOD REALLY DOESNT LIKE ME.

• Posted

I am absolutely sick of being handed pills that help profits to go in to the back pockets of pharmaceutical companies. They will start to learn to treat my ibs, depression, trapped facial nerves and associated problems naturally, so no tablets clash with each other, so i am swallowing chemicals which i can't anyway, is more the point so i'm not taking one tablet to treat the effects of anything else. Sorry pharmaceutical companies can take a flying run and jump, i am NOT a human guinea pig! What's more they overdosed my dad on that filth. End of rant, well garbled nonsense.

• Posted

I absolutely agree! A lot of doctors won't offer natural remedies because there is no money in it. I was only offered low dose antidepressants for neuralgia and was led to believe there were no natural remedies which is untrue.When I suggested painkillers, he poo pooed them because of the side effects but was supporting the idea of anti depressants which can cause even nastier reactions. I have found painkillers actually helped my neuralgia.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, thank goodness! I didn't think i'd lost my mind, sorry er i mean thought i was going mad! My doctors seem to rub their hands with glee as they think they can fill me with pills. I will not take them. I have to wait 6 weeks to see ent, it's vital that i do because i know there is other forms of treatment like Botox . I have a familial history of sinus difficulties down my mum's side of the family and then my dad had facial nerves that twitched. Hmm and they can't do anything? Rubbish!!!!

• Posted

To be honest, I really should have asked for an X Ray or a referral to a neurologist to find out what is going on inside my arm. I'm sure the damage would have shown up.Of course, none of these things were offered except for tablets!I was daft enough to assume that they would have had the sense to suggest further investigations.

Hopefully, your endoscopy will give you answers.

• Posted

hi Pippa, i have discovered you have to be really blunt with doctors. Go back and insist on the x-ray, i tell doctors what i think i need nowadays not the other way round. Ask to see your named doctor, no-one else. Tell them the medication is doing you no good.

• Posted

I will say this to you the same as my friend Debbie, if j have to see my counsellor, you be honest to your doctor. She often goes and doesn't mention half of what she needs.

• Posted

I may be misunderstanding. Are you saying there's a Botox treatment for IBS?

• Posted

I often make notes on my phone to remind myself of the points I need to mention if I have several. There is so little time to discuss anything with GPs. 15 minutes goes by so quickly.

• Posted

I agree Pippa, i often write things in phone too, my dyslexia helps my brain to forget what i need to say.

• Posted

I find when I write reminders down, I have set an audible alarm and check and recheck the info I have noted down because my autism causes me read the memo wrong and sometimes I miss appointments because of it.

• Posted

This is a joke but i think my brain was wired in backwatds, i have a terrible dyslexic forget all memory! It's people who make us forget just blame them!

• Posted

I often find I am most comfortable around autistic people.

• Posted

I can totally understand that. I prefer Dyslexic/autistic spectrum people and people with disabilities. More empathetic.

• Posted

I think this is why I am more open with autistic people and more guarded with people who have no disabilities.

• Posted

I understand you more than you think. I find people without disabilities can be blunt and misunderstand me. Stick to who and what you know, you then can't be accused of getting anything wrong. I may not have autism but i know so many people with disabilities as well as people without

• Posted

I often find when I am struggling to learn a practical task such as using cooking equipment, I am accused of not trying because I can't follow verbal instructions and no matter how often I am shown, I still get it wrong. I end up having to go through the rigmarole of explaining that while I want to learn, my brain and hands don't coordinate. I really shouldn't have to do this. Sometimes, with a lot of determination I learn the task eventually but sometimes not at all. I think I am more patient with myself than others are with me.

• Posted

It's people outside those you don't know. I struggle to explain to people that under stress i can not remember what to do and which sequence to follow. I often mucked up using the new photocopier at work because i couldn't co-ordinate or sequence the instructions! My boss didn't understand this. I was trying to do my job on top of watching my dad die. I resigned in the end my job become too much!

• Posted

This is one of the reasons I can't work apart from not passing interviews. I simply can't learn the job at the speed I am expected to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.