Gabapentin for Distension & Abdominal Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started recently on Gabapentin to treat abdominal distension and pain from IBS-C. The doctor started me on a very low dose (50 mg), and now that I've been on it for 2 weeks, I'm increasing to 100 mg.

Has anyone used Gabapentin to treat abdominal distension and pain? If so, did it help? What dose were you on when it started to help? I've read that 200 mg is required to make a difference.

If your abdominal distension and pain were treated by some other medication, what was it, and did it work? The doctor, after prescribing Gabapentin, told me Cymbalta would be better and recommended I drop the Gabapentin and start Cymbalta. Cymbalta carries a risk of bringing back my old problem, Lymphocytic Colitis, so I'm hesitant to start it. Would love to hear from anyone with experience with these two problems and any treatment.

Thanks!

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No meant not swallowing chemicals. Also dyslexic and tired today, not been well! πŸ˜“πŸ˜¨πŸ˜«πŸ˜°πŸ€’πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜Ύ

• Posted

I've been on 100 mg Gabapentin for a week now and have been suffering from tiredness the whole time. It's very hard to wake up in the morning, and when I'm driving home from work, I have to slap myself to stay awake.

If there's someone else who has been on Gabapentin and experienced this, can you tell me how long it will last? Is this something temporary that will soon go away as my body adjusts to the higher dose? Or is this a permanent side effect of the drug?

Thanks.

• Posted

I WAS PUT ON GABAPENTIN AFTER COMING OFF MORPHINE PATCHES. HOWEVER, AFTER TAKING 300MG SEVERAL TIMES A DAY, I SUFFERED FROM TERRIBLE VERTIGO WHICH IS APPARENTLY ONE OF THE SIDE AFFECTS. I AM CURRENTLY WAITING FOR A SPINAL OPERATION AND HAD MY PRE-OP TEN WEEKS AGO, REALLY FED UP NOW WITH THE PAIN AND MY IBS MADE WORSE BY THE STRESS OF IT ALL. SYLVIA

I

• Posted

hi Sylvia, even though my wait is less than yours i still have to wait like you. I am like you stuck in limbo land! Good luck to you, hope you get the result you want, hope i get a result! Wish you luck.

• Posted

I hope the operation goes well. I've had a little mild vertigo. Probably it's not that bad because I'm on such a low dose.

• Posted

I think companies should really take on people with disabilities they are meant to., If they don't they are not adhering to the disability discrimination act! That's illegal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.