Gabapentin Withdrawal

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have been taking 300 mg gabapentin at night for 20 days and I am wondering if anyone has stopped this drug after a short period of time and what they experienced.  I am worried but want to get off of it due to the side effects.  Thank you.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes gaba. side effects are very numerous and bad.  Since you have only been on that low dose for only 20 days.....I think you can just taper off for a couple of weeks. lets say just start doing 100 mg for maybe a week, then 50 mg/ about a week, then 25 mg/ every couple of days....then off !  You may get a little withdrawal but should not be too bad.  I was on gaba. for 4 years at a dose of 1200 per day.  It took me about 4 months to completely quit....but I took it very very slowly.  Now I have been off of it for 4 months and feel very good now ! Good Luck.
    • Posted

Thanks so much!  Had I realized when I started this drug that the withdrawal was so hideous, I would never have filled the prescription!!
    • Posted

me too !  Live and Learn. I learned the hard way ! When you research the horrible side effects...... and then experience them..... it is astounding that MD's continue to Rx.......But that is modern medicine....we have to watch out for ourselfves.......many times they won't.  Sad But true.....Good luck

• Posted

Hi Gretchen

I posted on here in December of last year regarding short term low dose Gabapentin and withdrawal. I took 300mg for 17 days and didn't like the way they were affecting me mentally so stopped cold turkey.

Big mistake!! It's now almost 4 months since I had my last dose and I still have the odd day where I'm ambushed by overwhelming anxiety. Thankfully that appears to be the only remaining symptom, but for first couple of months it was horrendous. Quite easily the worst experience of my life. All I'd say is be careful and taper down slowly and don't repeat my mistake! Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much, Keith.  This is one scary drug!  It's so great that you all are here - so much information and so much support!!!

• Posted

I took it for almost two weeks and stopped it because of all the side effects
  • Posted

After taking only 100 mg at bedtime for only a short period of time twice...as little as one month the second time....I had withdrawal problems for 3 weeks each time. I had anxiety and insomnia.  Drop the dosage gradually before stopping completely.
    • Posted

Thanks, Karen.  That seems to be the way to do it.  I appreciate your advice.
  • Posted

i was on 300mg of gaba for 6 months, quit cold turkey, my doc said it was fine and i wouldnt get side effect....I suffered from anxiety to begin with so not sure if that was a side effect any way, but i have bad insomnia, bad vivid dreams, and very bad mood swings, my doc says those are not side effects that its just my anxiety playing with me?
    • Posted

I had no previous experience or issues with Anxiety/mood disorders, until I took and then stopped taking Gabapentin, then I experienced everything you've mentioned. This really messes with your brain chemistry.

I would say that I was prescribed it by spinal consultant, but my own Dr refers to it as a "dirty drug" and won't prescribe it. For me, that says everything.

• Posted

I think your doc was wrong ! All meds have side effects and he was negligent to advise you that is ok to quit cold turkey ! It's not OK ! As well as giving you moods swings and anxiety as a side effect. The same side effects can be present withdrawing from it.  Unbelievable to think a physician would be unaware of these things ! It's almost criminal !.

Good luck getting off of it.  I did it eventually......slowly...slowly...

• Posted

I made the decision to quit because of the awful side effects after only 17 days.

I only mentioned it to my own Dr during a quarterly consultation 3 months later and that's when he offered his personal opinion of the drug. Got to say I agree with him.

• Posted

i hope this passes soon, i feel like a fool, one minute im crying, the next laughing, the next depressed, i cant stand this....
    • Posted

I know pf someone else who was affected in the same way. It will pass so keep strong.

• Posted

It doesn't sound like your anxiety playing with you - it sounds like what many have been describing.  I hope you get past this very soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.