Gabapentin Withdrawal

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have been taking 300 mg gabapentin at night for 20 days and I am wondering if anyone has stopped this drug after a short period of time and what they experienced.  I am worried but want to get off of it due to the side effects.  Thank you.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I was on 900mg a day at 300mg 3 times a day and felt drugged up to the eye balls. My GP because of the side effects took me off it and stright off it. He just told me if i feel unwell to go back to see him. I felt really grotty for a week or so but then i was back to normal. The other drug in the same class it Pregabalin sorta the same but i found this had much less side effects for me and worked better. Only issue with it is it cost 4x more than Gabapentin so my GP took me off that and put me back on Gapapentin. If you can get past the side effects its a good drug but i know a lot of people from here and personal who cant stand it and have had nothing but issues on it. Talk to your Doctor - A good doctor will listen to your views and take these onboard.

• Posted

i took it for about 4-5 weeks at different doses and stopped it last week. i was cross tapering off of another med (klonopin). I started at 300 once a day for 2 weeks then 600 for a week, 900 for a week and then 1200 for less than a week. I went down by 300 every night and was off in a few days. Since I jumped to 1200, i have had these little leg pricks, like someone is pintching my cavles or sometimes in my upper legs. Is this a thing?! Didn't have it before when I was on klonopin and zoloft. Would love to hear some feedback! Thanks so much! Good luck! 

• Posted

Yes I would taper very slowly I had a very bad experience with this drug. Only thing in my life I experienced that was worse was when I started lexapro (another nightmare). I quit gabapentin after only 2x 300 mg doses. Couldn't sleep the first night and had terrible anxiety for several weeks. I haven't taken it since mid February but I still don't feel completely back to normal and still have the ambush anxiety attacks that Keith talks about as well. It seems to me like certain people like myself are very sensitive to psychiatric medications. If you have bad side effects with gabapentin I would stay away from those also if you can help it. It's not worth the risk. Sometimes doctors want to just "try stuff out" but these kinds of medicines are very powerful and sometimes even trying them out can cause weeks of suffering. Much love to everyone on here please hang in there if you are going through these symptoms, or does get better

• Posted

My response has been sent to moderator why I do not kknow. I was agreeing with the comments made by others about the adverse reactions/side effects of gabapentin.
  • Posted

My dr just prescribed this medication to me for two weeks at 300mg at night. I just took my first pill now I'm thinking I should just stop taking them .

• Posted

Unless you feel like you have no other choice I would avoid this medication at all costs. Even if theres a 10% chance you could suffer some of these side effects its not worth it trust me. I would ask your doctor for a list of medications he thinks are options for you and then do your homework on each of them. My father tried gabapentin and had no issue with it and it could be the same for you-- but like I said, I just think the risks outweigh any possible benefits of this medicine. Best of luck to you I hope you find something that makes you feel better smile
  • Posted

Please come off these drugs due to trauma 4yrs ago was prescribed low dose at first then as yrs went and neurological probs and back pain . Then 2yrs ago diagnosed fibromalaygia Iam on 600mg x2 3 times a day which is the highest dose
    • Posted

that is what I am on too Jean it's not agreeing with me either think the high dose has fried my brain😟

• Posted

I am new to this site and thank goodness I found all of you wonderful people. Listening to everyone makes me feel that I am not alone.  I have been on gab for 21/2 years now 900 mg. I have gained quite a bit of weight since being on this horrible drug and also have developed insomnia. I was given it for nerve pain. Well I tried going off of it cold turkey and oh my goodness I thought I was going to die. Heart pounding, crying, the insomnia has been horrible. So I went back and took 300 mg and with in 30 min. I started to feel somewhat better.So Im tapering very slowly now. I just want my life back. I am so depressed but it feels so good to be able to talk to so many people who are going through this also.  Thanks so much for listening. I know this is going to be a long process but Im sure it can be done.
  • Posted

Hello I have just joined this site after reading some of the replies it has made me feel so much better that it's just not me.  I have been on gabepentin 600mg 3 times a day for nerve pain and over the last few days have turned into the witch from hell, mood swings, aggression and tearfulness all the time. I know it's not hormones but it's just not me, I have been reading the side effects of this drug and know I need to come off it.. I can't get appointment with doc for 10 days think by then I will have driven myself crazy. Sorry for going on just nice to know I'm not alone. 

• Posted

Should of mention only been on this drug 2 months
    • Posted

Hi Beverly sorry to hear what your going through. I was the same way. I had such terrible mean thoughts in my head never before have I felt so mad at the world. Even during menopause did feel this bad. I was on 300mg 3 times a day and am now down to 300mg 1 time a day. Its pure torture. Insomnia flu like symptoms head ache Im starting magnesium oil that I spray on the part of body where I have pain it does work.  Im also starting to take magnesium orally to rotate screen with the withdrawal. Hopefully I start feeling better. 1 day at a time thats what I keep telling myself. Good luck to you. This drug is dangerous.
    • Posted

Thank you Kathy. The doctors are in the long process of diagnosing me with fibromyalgia so hopefully can come up with a middle ground for this drug where I can handle the side effects 😀

• Posted

Hi GABApentin gang! I’ve been reading everyone’s post about this drugs horrible effects. I’ve also have experience their withdrawals too. I was put on this drug as something to take so I can taper down my Percocets 10/325. I was taking up to 3600 mg. a day for 2 yrs. and 6-8 Percocets a day  also for two years. I finally decided to stop the gabapentin after I stop taking the  Percocets. It’s been one month no Percocets and two and a half weeks of no gabapentin. I feel like the gabapentin prolonged the withdrawals from Percocets. The physical part was easy but the mental f@&k was the worst. I didn’t taper it down. I just jumped ship with my shoes on. Worst mistake I’ve ever done. But after a week. I battled my anxiety and depression through exercise. Excercise helps. I take fish oil pills before and after my workouts. It helps a lot with mood. I know Its going to get better each day but slowly. So all you guys hang in there. Our brain can repair itself. Just get out and walk. Eat healthy foods for a couple weeks. Juice your veggies and fruits. They will give you good mood and health to counteract the withdrawals. I’m almost done with week 3. Feeling a lot better. The dark thoughts lifted a couple days ago. You guys just have to tell yourself these withdrawal symptoms will pass. Juice, juice, juice!! For two weeks. That will regulate your body. I’m still going through withdrawals but not as bad. I will check in now and than to see how everyone is doing. God Bless everyone 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Kelvin. I am currently on day 3 of withdrawal. I was prescribed Gabapentin by my psychiatrist to sleep and for my anxiety. If I would have researched this drug beforehand I would have NEVER started it. I stopped taking it because I felt like I was going crazy, Heart palpitations, racing irrational thoughts, anxiety like crazy. So now I am going through withdrawal. It was confirmed by the on call doctor. I was having hot and cold flashes, palpitations like crazy, could not sleep or get comfortable, have not been able to eat, headaches, jittery, and extreme anxiety, nausea. Everything you name it. I can not wait until this is OVER. I refused to taper because I just wanted to be DONE with this drug. Thanks for all the suggestions !!
    • Posted

Hi Jazmaine! Sorry to hear you are going through withdrawals with gabapentin. I’ve been off gabapentin for a few weeks now. Every withdrawal subsided except for nausea. Exercise helped a lot with the withdrawals and each day the nausea is getting better. Be strong! Each day will get easier. After three weeks you will feel much better than the first two weeks. Hang in there!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.