Gabapentin Withdrawal IMPORTANT

Posted , 149 users are following.

I spent 4 days in intensive care following a spinal operation. This was found to be the result of the sudden complete withdraawal of Gabapentin.

For 3 whole days I was, to quote my surgeon, 'on another planet.' The only drug, of the many I was taking for pain, the only one that could not been given in an alternative form was Gabapentin. Fortunately, on the 3rd day there happened to be a charge nurse on duty who had seen a [b]previous case similar to mine, also resulting from withdrawal of Gabapentin.

My husband insisted that some way was found of administrating the drug. (I myself was una\\ware of any of this until later). There were objections from the staff since I would need sedating and was unable to consent! My husband over-rode them - thank goodness - and said he would take full responsibility and 'just do it.'

Some time after he left they did sedate me and administer the Gabapoentin. Then, as now, I had been taking 900mg 3 times daily for nerve pain, so I had obviously fallen off a cliff in terms of amount taken.

The following morning I woke up back to normal and asked for a cup of tea. When my husband arrived I saw him wipe tears from his eyes. If not back from the dead I WAS back from a living nightmare.

WHAT CONCERNS ME MOST IS THAT THIS WAS DISMISSED BY THE MANUFACTURERS WHEN ONE OF MY CONSULTANTS MENTIONED IT. YET IT IS A TERRIBLE REACTION, ALBEIT NO DOUBT EXTREMELY RARE. IT SHOULD BE MAD E KNOWN:!:

16 likes, 474 replies

474 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Omg Im taking that? I thought it wasn't addictive?

• Posted

Not a great med as you can tell...You feel worse when you come off...I have been doing it very very slowly and Im still having issues.....
  • Posted

I have been on Gabapoentin for 3 months. Doctor did not organize have I should go on it.  He wrote prescription wrong twice. The first time he wrote it for just way too much 300 mg three times a day. And the second time he wrote it was 200 mg per day. I was taking Mobic also for my neck and back pain and my blood pressure started to go high. I decided to take myself off the Mobic and then I decided to cut my gabapentin and half that I was already taking which was 5 to 600 mg per day. I then experienced withdrawals symptoms like had panic attacks and dizziness headaches etc. I am now on 200 mg per day for five days and I'm going to wean myself totally off of it with a new doctor. I pray to God that my pain will go down with natural remedies like exercise  and prayer. 

• Posted

Hi 

I am also having proms with the gabapentin and withdrawals and all the symptoms that you guys are having. I will pray for us all that God will deliver us from this terrible drug. The doctors the manufacturers don't really make it so clear about what you would go through to get off of it.

• Posted

Had an appointment with oral med consultant this week.  Had been on GP presribed gaba for burning mouth syndrome but stopped it for a variety of reasons which i have already described in these discussions.  Oral med guy agreed with me that it can make you gaga - his word not mine.  He wasn't so sure about the physical problems - muscle/joint pains and stiffness - but agreed that it can make you quite mad, forgetful, anxious and panic stricken.  So finally - agreement that we are not all completely bonkers.

• Posted

Hi all,

I have taken gabapentin for 10 years for severe chronic nerve damage pain. I have had chronic Lyme disease for 28 years and was diagnosed with Arachnoiditis and Rsd/ crps five years ago.

A year ago today I was on 600mg six x's a day. I am now to to 900mg. A few days ago I tried to drop another 300mg. I had been dropping 300mg every two months with no problem. This time Within several hours I thought I was having a heart attack. I had horrible tremors, bad nausea, racing heartbeat, pain in face and arm, headaches and bad pain.

Its pretty scary.

I had to go back up to 900mg and ask for 100mg tabs to ween slower this time.

With my central nervous system already being permanently damaged, it I was dangerous and stupid on my part.

• Posted

I will pray that God will show us how to get off and for healing.  I want to find something natural that can help with pain. People are telling me when I was on it to drop 100 mg per week. or maybe every two weeks.  I still feel the effects of the GP after two weeks of getting off. Slowly feeling better. God bless you Sarah.   Naomi
  • Posted

I have been taking Gabapentin 3x a day for over a year along with Ropinerole or Requip at night for my Restless Leg Syndrom(RLS). I have gained almost 50 pounds since I started on this medicine- which has been increased in dosage twice now... not only has it NOT worked consistently for my RLS symptoms but its packed on the pounds. I have asked my nuerologist to change my meds as im trying to take the weight off before my July Wedding and im not having a whole lot of luck with him agreeing to that. Im now on 1800mg per day and I decided to stop taking it all together and just 'deal' with my legs! Its been 1 week and I feel like i could crawl out of my skin😕 I thought I was going crazy until reading all of the posts on this site and for the first time let a sigh of relief! I feel like there are ants crawling through my blood andyou can scratch forever but it never stops - I keep getting what i call 'shocked' so to speak which i know from previous meds can be from withdrawls! Im exhausted but cant sleep or stay asleep, I am emotional and feel a bit out of control of my actions, imnervous but not sure abt what etc etc - i could go on for a long time but y'all have explained many of my symptoms. I feel like a hot mess butcant seem to explain the feeling to my fiancee. Ive also noticed that my right arm and hand keep going numb?? Anyone have any good words of reccomendation for me- i dont know ifi can take much more of feeling this way!

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your issues with gabapentin. The Drs hail this as a new wonder drug to cure all ills, when in fact it is highly toxic and addictive.

I have been given it twice for peripheral neuropathy and twice stopped cold turkey. We have a resposability to know what we are putting in our body and I refuse gabapentin. The withdrawals do go away eventually, but some long term users are pernamently damaged. Be glad you have stopped this now and not after many years.

Please be carefull when taking prescription drugs and read all about them before taking them. Do not rely on Drs as they will not tell you what drugs are addictive. Putting on large amounts of weight is not worth taking drugs that do not work. You have a big battle ahead not only with the withdrawals but also with weight loss. I just put up with the withdrawals so I'm not much help. I had bigger issues with fentanyl another highly addictive pain killer.

I hope someone else gives you more help as the withdrawals are bad.

RLS is a nightmare too.

• Posted

hi Boston...very very dangerous...you can not go cold turkey........you must taper off very slowly   remember this drug messes with your brain.....and it needs time to adjust  If I was you I would go back on the 1800 find another dr that will help you come off it very slowly..if you need to wait months before seeing someone else I would taper dowm 100 mg every 3 to 4 weeks.....you can have a seizure by going cold turkey...dont want to scare you but read the withdrawals  not good.....please let us know how you are doing
    • Posted

Been off Gabby since February and went thru all withdrawals. Still have a few stomach issues.

You mentioned electric shock?? There have been a few times right before I go to sleep it feel like a volt of lightning goes thru me!! Anyone else ever have this??

Please taper this drug very slowly!!

• Posted

OMG thank God I haven't felt that....I still experiencing a few things but nothing bad.I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones coming off this medicine.......

• Posted

Hi Rita

I went off drug too fast. 600mg to 200mg for two weeks. than off.  I been off for two months still feel anxious, dizzy, and weak at times.  Can it still be a withdrawal?  Naomi

God bless you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.