Gaining weight with CFS/ME

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to lose weight with CFS/ME?

I have been off work since August and I am unable to do much exercise (I can walk short distances only). I am watching the weight pile on which is getting me down and it is not helping my pain (more weight on my knees etc.). I do eat the odd treat but I wouldn't say that I eat that badly (healthy home cooked meals and not huge portions). I do have polycystic ovary syndrome though which makes me gain weight easily but it is very hard when I can't exercise.

Any advice or success stories would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Amy

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You could look into the low carb high fat diet. I won't say the names for it because my post probably won't be allowed. It's based on the fact that it's sugars in carbs not fats that cause weight gain and diseases like diabetes and heart disease etc.

On a high fat diet with very low carbs the body gets adapted to burn the fats. I'm sure you'll find it if you look it up. 

• Posted

Hi Amy; sometimes certain medications can cause us to gain weight/retain fluid.  Are there any that you are taking that may have this effect?  Perhaps if you go onto the web and research what/if any that you are taking that maybe the cause  ( the medication web-browser)?  I do know that even some pain-relief tabs can cause this problem.   Let us know what you find/what, if any that you are taking, and we maybe able to help with this one?

?As to your diet, yes, there is something to say for "adding sugars over fats to keep us (in particular) to assist with energy, as well, as weight gain.  I find the "need" for sugars at night (I have found that I really need sweets at night-time, and have a Jelly made up for this purpose).  I don't really know if this applies to others, but certainly does for me.  I never was a "sweets" person, until the last few years, but now Really Want sweet things at night, now.                                 Good luck,  Bron

• Posted

I used to eat a lot of fruit and drink fruit juices and I really craved them. I started to think the sugars were contributing to my ME and I've cut them out. I'm on a low carb, high fat diet now (there's scientific evidence to back it up) and I've lost my sugar cravings and I don't get hungry between meals.

High sugar diets can cause hypoglycemia because we eat sugars and the levels spike in our blood then drop low, a bit like the caffeine hit. It's an addiction. It sounds like that's what's happenening to you at night. I used to get sweats, shakes and anxiety in the middle of the night and need to eat something. Perhaps you could eat a tin of fish instead of sweets. It worked for me when I was hypoglycaemic.

• Posted

I think we might be eating eactly the same way smile  it works! I like that I can eat when hungry, if that is 5 times a day, as long as I stay in the whole food groups, I never get fat. 

I have not eaten canned fish, but that might be a good idea. I may add that for a nice easy snack. 

I make sheets of chicken, hamburgers, etc, then freeze it for later. 

Cool, I didn't know anyone who eats like i do, NOW I DO! wootwoot!😍 I so want to spread the word about this way of eating, it is sooo easy! 

• Posted

When I have a sweet craving, I might have fruit with nuts, but I find if I am not getting quality protein and copious amounts of veggies, I am hungry at bedtime.  Up the protein, ditch the proccessed foods and wake to your tummy happy!  

Best to you,

D

• Posted

What do you mean by 'sheets'? Yes I'm loving the ketogenic low carb high fat diet. I have more physical energy. They say to keep the protein moderate and fat has to be the main food source. It's how our ancestors ate so it makes sense.

Although I'm underweight I have too much flab and it's firming up. I've even put a few needed pounds on. The diet seems to normalise people's weight so if you're over you lose and if you're under you put on.

• Posted

You said 'I make sheets of chicken, hamburgers, etc, then freeze it for later.'

Not sure what you mean by sheets. cheesygrin

• Posted

LOL I should have said pastry sheets! I put about 8 pieces of chicken or 8 hamburger patties and bake them in the oven.  😎

• Posted

Oh Lol, that didn't occur to me! rolleyes I was thinking 'what the heck is a chicken sheet!' Ha ha

• Posted

Dang girl, can't you read my mind!?! 😲😵 LOL

• Posted

Lol You just reminded me; my mum had an absent minded moment. I was on the phone to her and she was in the middle of making a sandwich. She said 'Can you see the cheese?' I said 'No, I'm not there!'

She replied 'You're telepathic!' and I said 'Not with cheese!' biggrin

• Posted

Thanks for your help. I am the same! I crave sugar because it gives me a boost in energy. So hard to resist! Haha. Going to try and cut down on sugar though.

As for meds, I am on Gabapentin, paracetamol, codeine if I am bad only and Fluoxetine.

Thanks

• Posted

Try eating larger amounts of protein and loads of low gi veg. Go easy on the carbs and cut out all refined carbs i.e. White bread pasta sugar white rice cakes biscuits etc a they just don't sustain you and make you hungry. Eat a good breakfast preferably with an egg as it fills you up. Undated almonds are good as a snack as they don't cause weight gain. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.