Gaining weight with CFS/ME

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to lose weight with CFS/ME?

I have been off work since August and I am unable to do much exercise (I can walk short distances only). I am watching the weight pile on which is getting me down and it is not helping my pain (more weight on my knees etc.). I do eat the odd treat but I wouldn't say that I eat that badly (healthy home cooked meals and not huge portions). I do have polycystic ovary syndrome though which makes me gain weight easily but it is very hard when I can't exercise.

Any advice or success stories would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Amy

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I am very thin and don't exercise much, a walk around the block is my max. The trick is to not eat anything processed, nothing from a box or a bag, nothing with a lable. I eat only meat, eggs, veggies, nuts and seeds, and a little fruit.  Dinner plate: one chicken thigh and 3/4 plate steamed veggies (anything cruciferous, kale, brok greens, beet greens, squash, etc).  For dessert if I so desire 1/2 cup warmed dark fruit and 10-20 almonds with coconut oil drizzled in top. It is the easiest and most boring way to eat, and it works. I am 5"6' and I'm at the very bottom of the BMI 118-20 lbs. 

The big thing is to cut out all processed foods; sugar was my biggest enemy, but once I started having fruit with nuts (always have any sweets with protien but limit the sweets) things became more in balance.  

When I stopped eating processed foods, my body was happier.  I don't get cravings like I used to.  I eat when I am hungy, as long as I stay in this group of food. I never eat meat without lots of veggies or i feel ill. I only use coconut oil and olive. 

Best to you!

• Posted

And I stay away from anything white (sugar, potatoes, bread, even home made). After I was on this diet a while i would notice how certain foods made me feel. It is important to pay attention to how you feel after you eat new foods. Your body will eventually tell you what fuel you need. There are days that I could not look at a piece of broccoli, other times, it is all i can eat for a week.  
    • Posted

My BMI is 18.5. I wonder if the UK calculator's different to yours. Anyway before the low carb high fat diet that I started 6 weeks ago I was in the underweight range and now I've just crossed over into the healthy range! Yay razz

I had nurses coming here to weigh me in the summer I looked that worryingly thin!

But my friend needed to lose some weight and she did and many people lose weight on this diet. It must be so healthy to get everyone who sticks with it to the correct weight for them.

• Posted

this year my weight has been 109 to 120. It took me 7 months to put on 7 of those pounds. I am tired of always focusing on what is going in my mouth.  I have no appetite; it is really hard to eat when you are not hungry and nothing is appealing. Having celiac's too, ruined food for me. i can't go out to eat with friends, the fun potlucks are over, no one wants to eat my food, "eeeuw, gluten free!" they act like my food is poison. It hurts. People joke about this disease like it is made up (oh ya, funny effing haha) Not you, just peeps I know, but it is painful digestive disease that causes severe malnutrition~~ and it's lonely. I am an outcast since this diagnosis; I don't tell anyone anymore. If they invite me over and offer me anything, I politely say 'no thank you' and move on. Some peope are pushy though.  Very frustrating. 

My panties are in a wad over this. My appoligies.  

My bmi used to be 25 (i was chubby) and I struggled/obsessed to keep it that low.  when i think about having to eat, i have to take a deep breath and try not to cry, every bite is unappealing. I can't eat anyting i like. having CD didn't just take gluten away;  it took spices, fruit, icecream, almost all proccessed foods, coffee, black tea, candy, donuts, cake, mostly my checkbook. I cannot save money and buy in bulk, it is contaminated with gluten. 

I am tired and weak and poor and really upset about life today. i am helpless to do a dang thing about it cry 

If you have fat, enjoy it ladies and gents!  Your size is not who you are, it is just a container for what's important. You have beautiful spirits and that is whats truely important.

dinner time! oh goodie!   

• Posted

In case you're wondering what I said that hasn't been posted it's the name of the diet that I mentioned above but I'm now not allowed to mention it! I knew this was going to happen. rolleyes

If it wasn't for the amazing people here I'd leave. I've never known such a controlling of freedom of speech website.

• Posted

it is the way of the world now. It will only get worse.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your help and well done you!!! I need to work on my will power I think... lol
  • Posted

Hi

Hope this helps, I had same but tried reducing gamounts slowly (smaller cup sizes) Musili breakfast with shreddes

Microwaved frozen Peas & sweetcorn dinner

Chicken or fish tea with veg and potatoes or pasta/rice

Plenty of water

Reduced dairy if poss

If bread never have marg/olive spread anymore

Pretty happy with diet and loosing about a kilo a month

Still have a few fun days to not really hack myself off

• Posted

Thanks everyone!! I am going to try and cut down on sugar. It is so hard though! I feel like an addict. I crave it because it gives me a boost for a bit. Need to try though. I also need to drink more water. I am really bad for that. Thanks again everyone! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.