Gall Bladder.....Maybe?

Posted , 16 users are following.

have been feeling bad, off and on again for quite some time.  I use the term flare up as it seems to hit pretty suddenly. (seemingly the day after eating greasy food not 100% on that) but when it "flares" it can last for a week or 2, with major bloating infrequent and small bm and discolored bm (orange to yellow tmi, I know but I think it is involved somehow) I have had constant low grade pain in my right shoulder blade for a very long time.  30 mins or so after eating I get nausea...I never vomit...just feel green.   Energy is very low, tired all the time.  I had a nissen fundoplication a year ago which fixed my reflux.  I have seen a gastro doc with this been scoped both ends all is good, blood work is good only thing at all was a low anion gap.  Kidney function is good, sonogram shows normal gall bladder, hida scan shows 87%ejection fraction.  Surgeon says biliary dyskonesia and wants to remove my gall bladder.  I am very hesitant to remove it knowing it tests ok.  I am great with removing it if it will fix me but would be pretty p*ssed off if I get it out and still have these problems, I want  to be back to my old self before this started a couple of years ago.  I am hoping someone has had similar problems or can offer some advice as my regular doctors say nothing is wrong. 

Halp....please....

1 like, 102 replies

102 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you might want to ask for a CT scan,  Ultrasounds don't always show small stones or sludge, and tests don't always reveal what's going on. The yellow/orange fluid is probably bile, excreted by your gallbladder in response to the fat intake. 

There are no guarantees that surgery to remove your gallbladder will fix this--but there are never any guarantees.

If it is your gallbladder your symptoms won't improve--they will worsen.

Best of luck to you--let me know how you get on. 

• Posted

so a CT scan might show more than a hida?  I realize there are no guarantees but I want to make the most educated decision I can.  That is why I came here...hopefully to learn from you and others who have either been through or fixed similar problems.  Is it common for a gall bladder to flare up for a week or two?  I first thought chrones or ibs but the endoscopes say it is not.  I have been staying away from fatty foods as much as possible and I try and cardio exercise every other day....but sometimes feel to bad to do so.
    • Posted

Sorry, so late in getting back to you.  A CT scan provides more detail than an ultrasound, beause usually, contrast material is injected into your veins; and you also drink it.  That's not done in an ultrasound.  A HIDA scan checks the ejection factor of your gallbladder, but I've not heard of gallstones being imaged by a HIDA scan.  

Early on, I think gallbladder problems come and go.  I recall many times I thought I had food poisoning and slowly recovered, only to fall ill again in a month or two.

Instead of doing cardio, I suggest that you walk at a reasonable pace.  Your body is under stress.  I lost 30 pounds in a very short time.  Felt weak and dizzy, was reduced to drinking gatorade and eating bread or rice.  

Please let me know how you do!  

• Posted

Hi, I've learn't from this site and from people I know that just because your tests results have come back as normal that there isn't a problem from your gallbladder. A couple of people using this site that I've read have been like you but have had their gallbladder removed, tests don't always show cysts in the gallbladder or if the gallbladder has impacted either on the liver or stomach which can cause the pain that your having. The orange bowel movement is probably a substance called bilirubin that happens with the breakdown of your red blood cells in the liver. I wouldn't worry about that as I have the same and the substance won't hurt you.

I'm just waiting for my HIDA scan next week so I haven't got to your stage. I get pain in my right shoulder most of the time, as well as in my back constantly. I've has an ultrasound, gastroscopy, CT and MRCP scan with all coming back clear but I've been increasing in pain. I've only had this for 8 months compared to your 2 years and like you I would love to be back to normal, I think I've forgotten what normal is! 

I can't say what's right for you but I would make sure that you have all the medical knowledge that you need so you can make an informed decision.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you for the response.  I am trying to educate myself as much as possible as they can't put it back in if it turns out to not be the problem.  sad

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed in April last year due to gallstones.

I am better than I was but since having it removed, I have been diagnosed with as hiatus hernia and Type 2 Diabetes.

I would want to be absolutely sure that you have gallstones before having yur gallbladder removed.

What is bilary dyskonesia? I have never heard of it.  You need to be clear what this is.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Biliary dyskinesia is a motility disorder that affects the gallbladder and sphincter of Oddi. The motility disorder of the gallbladder is called gallbladder dyskinesia. Patients with this condition present with biliary-type pain, and investigations show no evidence of gallstones in the gallbladder.--

This is what I can find on it on the internet.  A lot of my symptoms seem to mirror Linda20916 above.  Feel good for a few weeks then bam,  A lot of the time it hits similar to food poisoning.  Nausea, weak, crazy bloat, gas, etc along with a weird tingling type senstation in my right upper quadrant.

• Posted

I have very similar symptoms to you, I'm really quite ill with it yet no sign of any gallstones.

My Dr has suggested  another scope both ends just to check there is nothing untoward (this will be number 3).

His advice is not to remove the Gallbladder unless stones or sludge can be found, as removal doesn't always ease the symptoms. I'm rather at a loss how to proceed, I've adapted my diet by basically cutting out any foods with more than 0.03g of fat, so I live on fat free yogurt and a ginger biscuit ,sad

• Posted

I have been scoped both ends and no chrons or ibs.  My bloodwork is ok on liver, I don't know if they did a full liver panel but I think a standard blood panel will show liver problems? maybe?  My pancreas was brought up by another member, I don't know how they test that....

• Posted

I would hope they did a whole liver panel.  From what I understand, a CBC, complete blood count, wouldn't show problems with your liver or pancreas. I think that pancreatic function may also be checked with certain blood tests.  

• Posted

I will check with them tomorrow.  I know I saw bilirubin, etc on the results.  I will check on the pancreas stuff too.  Trying to sort this all out. 

​thank you all again

• Posted

I feel for you--this is a horrible thing to go through, to be so ill and  have to submit to all these tests, not to mention the prodding and poking. But keep pushing till you find out what's happening!

Please know that you're in my thoughts!  

• Posted

Hello.

18yr old female who used to be 120 pounds. Now 100.

I have had gallbladder symptoms for 5 months. Right upper quadrant pain, nausea without vomiting, lost 20 pounds, could only eat/drink Gatorade and crackers, and went to the ER twice because the pain got so bad.

Went through all the tests, blood work ups, CT with contrast, ultrasound, and HIDA. Multiple times. Everything normal except a little sludge in my gallbladder which they told me isn't enough to take it out.

I went for a second opinion and got a second HIDA done two months later. My Dr called today and told me this HIDA came back very abnormal, gave me the number to a surgeon and told me to see him asap.

I don't know why the first one was normal and suddenly this one wasn't but keep pushing for more tests, repeat if it's been awhile. You never know if something has changed and will give you solid evidence.

Don't give up

• Posted

Hi, Ashley,

Sorry to learn that you're going through this, too!  Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies.  My surgeon is ready to take it out, I am the one who is hesitant.  If they can give me some decent evidence that it is the problem I will cut that sucker out with a blinding fury.  I am concerned that taking it out will not fix the problem.....then I am in the same boat several thousand dollars poorer and with all the issues not having a GB can present.  I called the original doc and they did do liver tests back in Sept. and all were fine.  I am going to push for a ct scan to see if that can show more.
    • Posted

Good luck!  Please let us know how you're doing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.