Gall Bladder.....Maybe?

Posted , 16 users are following.

have been feeling bad, off and on again for quite some time.  I use the term flare up as it seems to hit pretty suddenly. (seemingly the day after eating greasy food not 100% on that) but when it "flares" it can last for a week or 2, with major bloating infrequent and small bm and discolored bm (orange to yellow tmi, I know but I think it is involved somehow) I have had constant low grade pain in my right shoulder blade for a very long time.  30 mins or so after eating I get nausea...I never vomit...just feel green.   Energy is very low, tired all the time.  I had a nissen fundoplication a year ago which fixed my reflux.  I have seen a gastro doc with this been scoped both ends all is good, blood work is good only thing at all was a low anion gap.  Kidney function is good, sonogram shows normal gall bladder, hida scan shows 87%ejection fraction.  Surgeon says biliary dyskonesia and wants to remove my gall bladder.  I am very hesitant to remove it knowing it tests ok.  I am great with removing it if it will fix me but would be pretty p*ssed off if I get it out and still have these problems, I want  to be back to my old self before this started a couple of years ago.  I am hoping someone has had similar problems or can offer some advice as my regular doctors say nothing is wrong. 

Halp....please....

1 like, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

how do they check your pancreas?  I want to be sure that hasn't gone bad instead.  I understand pancreatitis hurts real bad and I don't have any severe pain, only constant mid grade URQ back pain 

• Posted

I think that initially they do blood tests for two enzymes.  Also, an elevated white cell count can indicate pancreatitis.  I've also heart that pancreatitis causes severe pain and vomiting.

• Posted

Hi, from looking at your previous comments, the doctors would've seen if your pancreas what inflammed by the ultrasound and the HIDA would show if there is anything wrong with the pancreas as it doesn't just look at the gallbladder but everything in the biliary tree. From what I've seen with pancreatitis you would be in excrutiating pain and need to go straight into hospital if you had this. 

I also have urq pain which goes into my back and shoulder blades, I haven't had my HIDA scan yet but all my other tests have come back as normal. I don't think there are any guarantees with  surgery but I can only hope that if that's the decision they make for me that it works as hopefully it can't be any worse than the pain I'm getting now and the effect its having on my life. 

I take it your in the USA as things are different here in the UK but I still have to believe that the doctors are suggesting what will be the best outcome for us.

• Posted

Yes, I am in the US.  I talked to my gasto doc today, she has ordered a CT scan of the abdomen which will show liver, spleen, pancreas, and GB.  She thinks it is a pancreatic problem possibly with an absorbtion issue.  She is recomending I take enzymes until I can get this worked out.  Going to try and get the CT scan next week.  I will advise when I know something.  Thanks again all.
    • Posted

our countries are very different, a CT scan is one of the first to be done here with the HIDA being quite rare with alot of doctors not knowing about it but is seems very common in the USA. 

Good luck with the scan.

• Posted

CT scan is today.  Dr. thinks my pancreas may be the problem....we will see.
    • Posted

Scan went fine, feels weird when they push the dye in your veins. Hope to have results tomorrow or monday
    • Posted

Yes, it does, doesn't it?  I had one last year.  I also drank the contrast.  I thought I was going to explode before they finished!  smile

• Posted

Well, Got the results.  CT scan is perfect, nothing wrong.  Bloodwork including liver and pancreas are fine nothing wrong.  Gastro doc now thinks my gall bladder is bad even though it tests good.  This blows, I don't want to get it out and not be sure it is the problem.  The Gastro doc said we pretty much eliminated everything else though.

• Posted

Hi, I know how you feel when your hoping to get some answers and everything is normal. The thing with all these tests they don't show as I mentioned before if the gallbladder has impacted on another organ or if there is a cyst inside and sometimes they need to have a look inside to check. 

I'm just waiting for the results from my HIDA scan last week and I expect it'll come back as normal but my consultant has already mentioned that I may need to have my gallbladder removed.  

I've been doing alot of research into biliary dyskinesia and all the tests need to come back as normal for the diagnosis as the symptoms are so similar to other things and the main treatment is to remove the gallbladder.

Hope your not in too much pain.

• Posted

Glad to know you've got your results.  So frustrating for you that they weren't indicative of anything! Sometimes tests rely on an organ or process malfunctioning all the time--digestive problems can wax and wane.  One day you feel okay and the next day you feel awful.  A long time ago, they'd open you up for a look-see with the plan to fix what was wrong when they found it.  Not so much, anymore. 

Though it might be difficult to think of losing your gallbladder only to have your problems continue, if you trust your gastro doc, you might want to consider having the surgery.

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know what you decide.

• Posted

Not too much pain, its just a dull ache. Its the nausea after eating that is jacking me up. It will be middle of january before I can see the surgeon. In the meantime i am going to try gluten free to rule out another possible issue.
    • Posted

That's a good idea.  You could try using the fodmap list of foods for people with digestive issues.  It's on the internet.

I can relate.  My gallbladder issues were horrible.  When my father-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer, we travelled out of state to see him.  After one disastrous meal at our hotel, I had to send my husband off without me.  I spent the week drinking water and seeing doctors.  No food for me.  I'm surprised I managed the trip home.

Happy Holidays, I hope you have some good moments in the midst of all the crap you're going through!

• Posted

Im going to have plenty of great moments. Not going to let this get me down, hey it wasnt a gut full of tumors and im still on the right side of the dirt. Thanks all for the help and merry Christmas. Ill update if there are any changes or if the gluten free makes a difference

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.