Gall stone pain-help

Posted , 11 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I am new to this group. I was diagnosed last year with having gall stones after having had an endoscopy. I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice as to how you deal with the pain when you have an episode. I had an episode this morning it started at 2am and eventually subsided at 5.15am. Symptoms excruciating abdominal pain, wanting to go to the loo, excessive sweating, nausea. 

Today I've been like a zombie, still feel a niggly pain but not as bad as earlier, so I'm not eating tonight.

would really appreciate your thoughts / comments.

thanks K

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Hun , I'm the same and have been years . Was only diagnosed 8 weeks ago. I have some bad episodes where it even hurts to breathe and I've found drink warm water and taken a lot of gaviscon helps but unfortunately it's a waiting game for it to subside . I have to stand when it comes on as I'm sobbing through the pain and it releases pressure off my ribs xx I have also noticed dairy products hurt me more so I try to stay clear of them xx sorry I can't help anymore xxx if I can help anymore just ask Hun xxx
  • Posted

Only thing that helped me was co codomal, I got my gallbladder out last year and was the best thing I ever did, if co codomal don't work I had to go out of hours and had to get an injection in my bottom, know how u feel tho pain is horrible, hope u feel better soon xx
  • Posted

I think the only way to deal with these episodes is to have your gallbladder removed. I had several episodes since Christmas and had my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago.

Although I still have to be very careful what I eat or I get bad stomach ache I am a lot better than I was when I had the gallstones.

Oramorphine helped me. If yu are really struggling you have to keep going back to yor local surgery like I did and push to have this operation.

Good luck with all this, hope it settles down

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Have you discussed this with your Doctor Kazz? because if the gallbladder is causing you so much trouble how come it has not been suggested that the gallbladder be removed? 

My first onset was a week ago I thought I was dying, I was told there was alot of infection, and that my Panceas was imflammed, had drugs in hospital for 4 days.

I am going back in 6 weeks to see whats what, what has been offered to you? The thing is I dont want my gallbladder removed if its my fatty liver causing the pain, x

• Posted

Hi Geri, I have discussed with consultant and elected not to have surgery. Gall stones is not life threatening and is a balance of drinking more water an spud eating more greens, veg salad etc. Fatty foods for me are no no as is chocolate, bananas and eggs they all set my stomach off. The pain when it happens is indescribable. K
    • Posted

Hi, I thought it could be very serious? maybe I have heard wrong, I was told by my GP that it needs to be sorted as if it returns it could be serious?

Maybe I am confused maybe its gallbladder that is infected that causes the pain and not the stones? i understood that a stone could get lodged causing problems. Like I said previously my Pancreaes was inflammed and I even had a high White blood cell count, and deranged liver funchion tests. I obviously need to investigate further, as I would rather not have the operation xxx

• Posted

Hi

ok I found buscopan when I had an attack and domperidon an anti sic med which you can buy over the counter ... Obviously the vomiting attack reaches a point when you can take something that's when I took these doctor did prescribe..and it worked.. But I controlled mine with diet while waiting for operation. No fat no hard to digest foods no chocolate no caffeine no alcohol ... Basically I lived on toast with marmite , boiled potatoes and boiled veg with low fat bisto gravy for lunch and dinner every day ..and yes it was boring but I had no colic attacks and just a constant gnawing pain under right rib ... Then after operation ..never felt better can eat anything and no pain ...hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi Sally,

thanks yes I find like you the more bland food I have the better it is. I just really don't want to have the surgery. The consultant I spoke to said his wife has gall stones but like me she elected not to have surgery and to control it by diet. 

• Posted

If pain is that bad speak to your consultant or GP and keep speaking to them everytime you have an attack. This will bring you up the waiting list. If you sit back and suffer they think your coping, which you are not. It is hard when your not feeling well but keep talking to professionals and you will get help required. Good luck

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up