Gall stone pain-help

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I am new to this group. I was diagnosed last year with having gall stones after having had an endoscopy. I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice as to how you deal with the pain when you have an episode. I had an episode this morning it started at 2am and eventually subsided at 5.15am. Symptoms excruciating abdominal pain, wanting to go to the loo, excessive sweating, nausea. 

Today I've been like a zombie, still feel a niggly pain but not as bad as earlier, so I'm not eating tonight.

would really appreciate your thoughts / comments.

thanks K

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Hun , I'm the same and have been years . Was only diagnosed 8 weeks ago. I have some bad episodes where it even hurts to breathe and I've found drink warm water and taken a lot of gaviscon helps but unfortunately it's a waiting game for it to subside . I have to stand when it comes on as I'm sobbing through the pain and it releases pressure off my ribs xx I have also noticed dairy products hurt me more so I try to stay clear of them xx sorry I can't help anymore xxx if I can help anymore just ask Hun xxx
  • Posted

Only thing that helped me was co codomal, I got my gallbladder out last year and was the best thing I ever did, if co codomal don't work I had to go out of hours and had to get an injection in my bottom, know how u feel tho pain is horrible, hope u feel better soon xx
  • Posted

I think the only way to deal with these episodes is to have your gallbladder removed. I had several episodes since Christmas and had my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago.

Although I still have to be very careful what I eat or I get bad stomach ache I am a lot better than I was when I had the gallstones.

Oramorphine helped me. If yu are really struggling you have to keep going back to yor local surgery like I did and push to have this operation.

Good luck with all this, hope it settles down

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah I really didn't want to have surgery, as I only had knee surgery 2 yrs ago. 😕
  • Posted

Have you discussed this with your Doctor Kazz? because if the gallbladder is causing you so much trouble how come it has not been suggested that the gallbladder be removed? 

My first onset was a week ago I thought I was dying, I was told there was alot of infection, and that my Panceas was imflammed, had drugs in hospital for 4 days.

I am going back in 6 weeks to see whats what, what has been offered to you? The thing is I dont want my gallbladder removed if its my fatty liver causing the pain, x

• Posted

Hi Geri, I have discussed with consultant and elected not to have surgery. Gall stones is not life threatening and is a balance of drinking more water an spud eating more greens, veg salad etc. Fatty foods for me are no no as is chocolate, bananas and eggs they all set my stomach off. The pain when it happens is indescribable. K
    • Posted

Sorry not spud typo should read and eating 
    • Posted

Hi, I thought it could be very serious? maybe I have heard wrong, I was told by my GP that it needs to be sorted as if it returns it could be serious?

Maybe I am confused maybe its gallbladder that is infected that causes the pain and not the stones? i understood that a stone could get lodged causing problems. Like I said previously my Pancreaes was inflammed and I even had a high White blood cell count, and deranged liver funchion tests. I obviously need to investigate further, as I would rather not have the operation xxx

• Posted

Hi

ok I found buscopan when I had an attack and domperidon an anti sic med which you can buy over the counter ... Obviously the vomiting attack reaches a point when you can take something that's when I took these doctor did prescribe..and it worked.. But I controlled mine with diet while waiting for operation. No fat no hard to digest foods no chocolate no caffeine no alcohol ... Basically I lived on toast with marmite , boiled potatoes and boiled veg with low fat bisto gravy for lunch and dinner every day ..and yes it was boring but I had no colic attacks and just a constant gnawing pain under right rib ... Then after operation ..never felt better can eat anything and no pain ...hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi Sally,

thanks yes I find like you the more bland food I have the better it is. I just really don't want to have the surgery. The consultant I spoke to said his wife has gall stones but like me she elected not to have surgery and to control it by diet. 

• Posted

If pain is that bad speak to your consultant or GP and keep speaking to them everytime you have an attack. This will bring you up the waiting list. If you sit back and suffer they think your coping, which you are not. It is hard when your not feeling well but keep talking to professionals and you will get help required. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi when i have a flare ups i breath in and out slowly try not to get worked up or panicking because that makes it worse. I know when i do get a flare up i feel really sick like i am going to throw up any minute so i looked on the internet and when i feel really sick i put my wrists under the tap and run cold water on them for a few minutes that helps. With the pain i take co-cordamol 30/500 and i take pregablin 150 mg at night before i go 2 bed. I take tramdol when the pain is severe. I take cyclizine for nausea and sickness that is really good but i only take it when i need it. A hot water bottle can help to. When my pain is severe i have to take strong pain killers and i end up on the floor sort of like in the prayer position rocking back and forward and try 2 think of anything else rather than the pain. I know that sounds really stupid but i suppose everyone deals with pain differently. Ive heard that drinking apple juice can help with stones. As for feeling like a zombie i have no suggestions on that part as i only manage 2 get around 4 hours sleep a night and i work full time so everything i feel extremely tired its horrible. I would recommend asking your doctor for some strong painkillers. Hope you find an easily way to deal with your flare ups its horrible when they happen
    • Posted

Thanks Coral, some good ideas which I will try next time. I usually take Lanzaprazole 30mg which helps a bit but once you have an episode I find you just have to sit it out. 

I will try cold water on my wrists and hot water bottle x

thank u x

• Posted

Just trying 2 offer any help or advice i can as i know how awful these flare ups are i wouldnt wish them on anybody i also take 30mg lansaprazole in a morning which helps me a little with my stomach but once that pain kicks in and the nausea its horrendous like you say u have to sit it out unfortunately for me it feels like its lasting a lifetime. Once i attend my appointment with this professor on the 22nd june if i find out any useful information i will post it on this forum just incase it might help anyone else. I really hope you find some way to manage and cope with the symptoms x
    • Posted

Hiya Hun xx pleased someone popped up here as I'm having a flare up now and pretty fed up . I'm sat up chest feels crushed and stabbing pains in my ribs, my back feels bruised and in shattered xxx I too can't wait for the 22 June xx hope your ok Hun
    • Posted

Oh no sorry to hear you are having another flare up. I really struggled at work today couldnt get to sleep last night/this norning till after 3.15am my alarm is set for 6.30am for work felt like a zombie all day been sipping water all day to keep hydrated even had a green tea i thought at lunch time i will try and eat something small to give me abit of energy all i ate was abit of salad which was lettuce tomatoes cucumber without the skin a little bit of onion and beetroot before i knew it i started feeling really sick the oain started in my stomach and chest i felt awful went outside for abit of fresh air but didnt help it went on for hours felt drained all day and now i cant bloody sleep again 😕 typical. I am keeping a daily symptoms diary and food diary so i can take it all with me to my appointment on the 22nd at this different hospital and i have also requested a copy of my hospital records from my local hospital that has been treating me so i will be well prepared im not leaving this appointment till i either get some answers or they tell me they are going to do further in depth investigations because i have seriously had enough feel like i have no life and i cant afford to have anytime time off work through being ill. Hope u feel better soon and your flare up doesnt last to long xx
    • Posted

Same here chick xxx I want mine removed asap I've been ill for years and it stops now xxxx
    • Posted

I know what you mean all the appointments ive had and admissions to hospital and ive always eventually given in and accepted there reasoning to be discharged and then back in pain again. Well no more they are not fobbing me off anymore. Its bad enough ive had endrometriosis for 10 years which causes severe abdominal and pelvic pain without this on top. I will let u no how i get on x
    • Posted

We are 2 of a kind as I'm dealing with an unknown cyst on my ovary and it's constant pain xxx I find when my pains come from my ovary it flares up my bladder more xx like its referred pain xx I believe my cyst is much bigger as I'm weeing constantly but I'm seeing gyni this Monday then bladder woman on 22nd lol xxx
    • Posted

Find me on Facebook if u want chick xx Mel n Matt Cheetham . My pic is me in a blue dress. No worries if not xxx
    • Posted

Yeah im the same i can tell the differnce in my gynae pain and this paini have 7 laproscopies to remove the endrometriosis however it just grows back and have adhensions from the surgery. I have lots of little.cysts on my ovaries but my gynae consultant isnt worried about them had colopscopy to and biopsies which came back pre cancerous cells CIN 1and CIN 2 had them removed twice. I think i need scrapping and rebuilding ha ha if im not working at the hospital im there as a patient. I will have a look on facebook for you
    • Posted

I have had a look on facebook is yours the profile which says spoonie At the white horse weatherspoons? X
    • Posted

Hi Coral, I find tomatoes can start a flare up is I would avoid them at all costs. Also onions. My consultant advised to eat more greens, broccoli, etc, nothing spicey, so no pasta with tomatoe sauce which is how this began. No cheese I only have milk in tea.it can be controlled but diet plays a huge part. I hope you feel better today xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.