Gallbladder

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am going in to hospital on Friday to have my gallbladder removed has any one got any information that they can share with me 😬

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Coming up to 5 weeks from open surgery. Still some swelling but no pain and can sleep on my right side again. The main thing seems to be to watch my diet for a while.  Best wishes. 
  • Posted

Are you having laparoscopic or open surgery? This affects your recovery. I had open surgery.

Whichever, it's important to get plenty rest. No lifting, so no ironing, no vacuuming and no pushing shopping trolleys for a while. No driving either. Also watch for cartons of milk and juice as they can be surprisingly heavy. Fill the kettle with a jug and only put in exact amount of water you need. Also make sure your handbag isn't too heavy!!

Best to avoid fatty and spicy foods for a while and avoid alcohol and smoking if you smoke. Stick to fairly plain food at first: you probably won't feel like eating rich foods anyway. Gradually introduce different foods and at the same time increase fibre in your diet to help soak up excess bile. Also don't eat large heavy meals.

Drink plenty water and gradually increase exercise- nothing strenuous- just gentle walking over short distances at first.

Basically it's moderation in all things. I'm almost four months post op and getting back to normal after months of pain and horrible symptoms.

Hope all goes well for you. Just remember hundreds are having this surgery every day.

• Posted

Think it takes about three weeks for recovery, though I'd still take it easy for a while after that.

Best of luck!

• Posted

99% of people having this feel better so its great you will feel much more like yourself.  I didnt have pain and was able to have tea and toast next morning, then home.  Stick to a bland diet for a bit then all will be well.
  • Posted

Hi I had my GB removed yesterday. Op was at 9am I was let out 3.30. Today I feel sore couldn't sleep much and no appetite. But all in all it went well and I glad it over. I was very nervous and upset but you will be fine ... Good luck for Friday x

• Posted

Make sure you take your pain meds as instructed. Don't try to be braver and do without. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I'm taking pain killers but getting there i have to remind myself it only been 24 hours and to take is slowly. It is scary but good to reassure people that all will be ok x x

• Posted

Hi Deborah i've just mine removed on wednesday this week, i am still recovering. It was a day case so i left hospital the same day. Just take it easy afterwards and take med. You will feel some pain around shoulders and tummy but it is normal it should go away in couple of days or so. Sorry my reply was late but i wish you better and hopefully everything goes well

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.