Gallbladder attack 3 months after gallstones removal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yesterday i had slight discomfort where the gallbladder was which escalated so bad i had to go to A&E. It was so bad i could hardly breathe. To cut a long story short after loads of tests the doctor there thought that a stone or some stones had been left behind. I won't know for sure until i have ultrasound which i'm now waiting for. I would be interested if anyone has had this problem and if so how do they get them out. Would be pleased to have any ideas on this.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jill, sorry that you're feeling like this. From everything that I've read they tend to get any stray gallstones out of the body via a gastroscopy, look up a ercp on this site and that'll give you some information.

Let me know how you get on, take care x

• Posted

Hi Katherine i had endoscopy today and the result was that stomach normal but hiatus hernia. I get the ultrasound next Tuesday so maybe they will find something on that. Still not eating much (don't want that pain again). Have you any ideas on what to eat. I'm fed up with cottage cheese etc. I hope you're feeling lots better. Will let you know result nect week. Take care. Jill x

• Posted

Hi Jill, thanks for letting me know. Did they do any biopsies as well, as they did that with me to rule out things like Crohns disease but you don't get the results straight away on those. 

What are they going to do about the hernia?

I find fresh fish really good, turkey and sometimes chicken, jacket potatoes, pasta, rice etc basically its all trial and error, what one person may find causes pain another may not. As long as its low fat and small portions. I still have problems now if I eat more than normal which is still less than what I use to eat before!

Do let me know how the ultrasound is next week and if they find that stone. 

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Katherine no they didn't do any biopsies. This time i had sedation which was a lot less traumatic! It was all over before i knew it. Thanks for the advice on things to eat. I know small portions are definitely the answer. The doctor i spoke to today agreed it could possibly be a stone left in there and if there is there are ways of getting it out. Roll on next Tuesday maybe i will find something out. Will let you know. Hope you're feeling better. Jill x

• Posted

Hi, Katherine!  

Good to see you posting!  Any info lately on Carol and her daughter?  Been wondering.  Thanks!  xx 

Lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda, How are you?

No I haven't heard anything, I sent her a private message yesterday but I can only think that it hasn't worked or the other thing is with that procedure is that she's got pancreatitis. I hope I'm wrong but she's been so poorly with it that her body can't fight anything off.

I'll let you know when I do hear though. Take care Lynda xx

• Posted

Hi Jill, yes having local and sedation is so much better. I'm glad you found that out this time. When I had one  last June I'd just started to lie down and they were just putting the endoscope in my mouth and that was it, I was out of it until I woke up in recovery. 

Lets hope they find that stone, did they tell you where they think it is? Yes they normally get them out via a type of gastroscopy again but it has different tools than the one today. 

I've got an appointment tomorrow with my gp to get a referral to the pain clinic, I'm not sure how long it takes before I get an appointment from them though.

Good luck for Tuesday xx

• Posted

Hi Katherine well had ultrasound today and nothing was found.. Just don't know what the next step is. I've had no more 'attacks' but live in fear of the next one. She did tell me that a lot of people end up like this after the gallbladder removal. As i said i don't know what to do now except to keep watching what i eat which isn't a lot. Hope you're feeling better. Jill x

• Posted

Hi Jill, sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for. Ultrasounds aren't always the best way of finding stray gallstones if thats what they believe it is, they need to do either a CT scan or a MRCP scan. Have you got another appointment with your doctor to review whats happening? It is always possible that a stray gallstone could've gone through your system.

Its not easy is it, when things aren't as you expect? Have you tried introducing foods that you stayed away from before surgery or have you tried them and been ill afterwards?

I'm only 6 weeks post op but I am eating quite a varied diet but little fat in anything as I'm worried about the pain, which I still get. Its so difficult isn't it as you expect all the pain to go after surgery and its just not like that.

I hope you get some answers soon, let me know how you get on. xx

• Posted

Hi jill

I had the same but mine was nearly 7 years after the operation it is extremely painful and feels like a heart attack at times. I had loads of test done and the could not find anything. I paid private to see a professor in gastrointestinal and he found that I have got spinster of oddi dysfunction also known as SOD dysfunction. It is very rare however very common in females after gallbladder removal. There is no cure for it. They can operate however he told me not to as I might end up with pancratitis so I haven't. I control it by diet and very strong pain relief if I get an attack as I call it.

Hope this help

Anca

• Posted

Hi Jill, 

Well that's awful for you!  If the ultrasound doesn't show anything, your doctor could try a CT scan, which is sometimes better at detecting stones.

Please let us know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Thanks Lynda. I'm having endoscopy on Monday and ultrasound on 11 April.  I will let you know how I get on.  Since my last post I had another attack (nightmare).The doctor seemed sure I've still got some stones left in and gave me Tramadol for pain relief if it happens again.  Only took one and felt awful so wont be taking any more.  In a way I hope they will find stones as at leat it will explain these attacks.  Will let you know the results.  Jill

• Posted

Oh, I'm so sorry you had another attack!  This is so horrible!  After you go through surgery you have every right to believe that your illness is over and that you'll be able to mend!  

Please do let me know how you get on with the tests and their results!  xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda. I had the endoscopy today and result is stomach normal but found hiatus hernia. Had a word with the doctor and he said i could have a stone or stones left behind. Having ultrasound next Tuesday so hopefully that will show something up. Still not eating much but just don't want that agony back. Will let you know next week the result. Take care Jill x

• Posted

Hi Jill!  Thanks for letting me know1. Did they tell you how large the hernia was?  Mine causes pressure and pain underneath my sternum, so yours would probably also do that!  I'm glad they found one of the things that might be causing your pain!  xx

Please let me know what they find next week!  Take care of yourself! xxx 

• Posted

Thanks Lynda. No they didn't say how big the hernia is but you're right about the pressure under the sternum. Sometimes i get a twinge there when i bend forward. Will let you know what the results of the ultrasound comes up with. Take care. Jill x

• Posted

Thanks, Jill.  They really should tell you how big it is. But I'm not surprised that they didn't.  sad 

• Posted

Hi Lynda had ultrasound today but nothing showed up. She did say a lot of people have problems after gb removal. I haven't had any more attacks lately but not eating much at all. I had another look at the report after the endoscopy an it says hiatus hernia sliding of length 2cm. Haven't a clue what that means. Don't know what the next step will be now. Hope you're ok. Jill x

• Posted

Hi Jill,

I'd suggest that you do some research on your own about the effects on the body of a sliding hiatus hernia of 2 cm.  You might recognize some of your symptoms.  

You could also research sphincter of oddi dysfunction, which happens to some people who have gallbladder surgery.  

This is not to scare you, but to give you more knowledge with which to speak to your doctor. In my opinion, if one doesn't know what could be affecting them and relies solely on the doctor that they're seeing one is compromising one's safety.  

While most doctors want to help their patients get relief and achieve wellness, there are some lazy good for nothings out there, unfortunately.

You have a right to know what is happening in your body and to have a treatment plan--not to get fobbed off. xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.