Gallbladder attack 3 months after gallstones removal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yesterday i had slight discomfort where the gallbladder was which escalated so bad i had to go to A&E. It was so bad i could hardly breathe. To cut a long story short after loads of tests the doctor there thought that a stone or some stones had been left behind. I won't know for sure until i have ultrasound which i'm now waiting for. I would be interested if anyone has had this problem and if so how do they get them out. Would be pleased to have any ideas on this.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel! I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks ago. 3 days after the removal I had my first "attack" which then happened nearly every day after that for over a week, till I had the worst ever attack and had to go to A&E. Like you the pain was off the scale.  I needed IV morphine to shut me up I was making so much noise from the pain in A&E! I had an abdominal ultrasound, CT scan and an MRCP scan all of which showed absolutely nothing other than a shadow in the bile duct on the CT scan and the MRCP showed my common bile duct was slightly dilated.  My liver function blood tests were all over the place too.  I saw a gastroenterologist in the hospital and he said that my syptoms are consistent with a rogue stone(s) left behind but he can't give me an ERCP (the invasive down the throat procedure to remove stones) to diagnose this in case it isn't a stone, as the ERCP runs a high risk of getting pancreatits after, which is life threatening sad  I had my gallbladder taken out privately so am now waiting to see another Gastroenterologist in 2 weeks time in the private hospital to see if he has any ideas and is willing to run more scans on me.  I can't eat anything high in fat or it triggers another attack.  I'm getting worried as I've read so many horror stories of people that end up having this kind of problem for life.  Eating a very low fat diet for the rest of my life really isn't ideal as I've lost 2 stone already and now weigh just over 8 stone. That would have been my dream once upon a time (not weighed that since I was in my 20's, I'm now 52!), but I want to be able to go back to eating anything and everything and looking healthy, if a bit on the plumper side!  I hope for your sake they find something on the scan because at least then they have something to work on.  If they don't find anything on ultrasound then insist on a CT and if that finds nothing insist on an MRCP scan.  Don't let them fob you off!  Keep us posted on your scan results. Good luck and remember you're not alone! 

• Posted

Hi Bev,

Sorry to learn you're suffering through this!  Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Ask them to check for SOD called sphincter oddi dysfunction common after gallbladder removal that is what happened to me and it is so degrading to live with as no cure for it. Good luck keep us up to date
    • Posted

Hi Bev, I'm glad that you're seeing another gastro as I don't feel that the information that your previous gastro about ercp isn't totally correct. This procedure is done as a last resort and yes they do need to do other tests to find the location of that stone if that's what it is. Yes there is a risk of pancreatitis but only very experienced surgeons will do it so reduces the risk. Like most procedures the worse case scenario is always that its life threatening. The procedure itself  is very safe its only gets more risky when they have to make incisions but they will give you antibiotics before and if necessary keep you in hospital but generally the procedure is done on as a day case. If you're in the UK then put in ercp nhs and you'll see all the leaflets that differents hospitals provide.

Let me know how you get on with your new surgeon.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Anca, has your gasto told you what category sphincter of oddi you are? As there is help out there but you need to find the right gasto to help you. 

I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow as he and my physician both believe I may have this condition. I had surgery to remove my gallbladder only 4 weeks ago but they know that it wouldn't take all of my pain away so I don't know what they are going to do next as I don't now what classification I am. If you're 1 or 2 then they will cut the sphincter but 3  is more difficult they should try different meds that are anti spasmodics but they can do botox injections if its severe, its not permanent but from everything I've read it will give you relief.

xx

• Posted

Thanks Katherine, I''m actually now seeing Gastroenterologist this afternoon as he had a cancellation and my appointment was brought forward.  I've not had any pain for a whole week now but sure that's because of the very low fat diet I'm on! Will be interesting to hear what he has to say. I'll certainly be asking a lot of questions.  He's been qualified since 1986 so I'm hoping he's seen everything and come across all these problemsa before! I'll post back here later and let you know what the outcome is (if anything sad ) xx

• Posted

Hi Bev, it'll be interesting to see what he says. Yes I did research on both my physician and surgeon on the nhs site to see what there specialities are so I know I'm in very capable hands.

Look forward to hearing back from you x

• Posted

Hi Bev, I'm glad to learn you're going to see a doctor earlier than expected!  

Good luck, and let us know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi Katherine and Lynda,

As promised, here's an update. I saw the consultant this afternoon.  He's absolutely sure it's a rogue stone left behind. As all my symptoms point towards this. He said if it's a tiny stone it can easily get missed on a scan.  He also said if the stone is that small it is possible it'll find it's way out on it's own.  So he's booking me in for an ERCP either next week or week after and if I feel by the time the date comes round that things have improved and my symptoms stop then to cancel the ERCP.  I'm to go back to eating a normal diet as this will trigger the symptoms if it's still there. So a bit scary to say the least but I'm happy he took me seriously and is prepared to do something about it.  I asked him about the risks and he said the risks are there but are very small. A stone staying in my bile duct can cause the same risk if it gets stuck in the pancreatic duct. So I'll start reintroducing fattier foods again over the next week and see what happens. The biggest test is cheese. That's what put me in hospital before.  So I'll save that for the day I go into hospital, just in case it all escalates out of control again. At least I'll be in the right place for a shot of morphine if it's necessary. Will let you know what happens after the ERCP! 

• Posted

Hi Bev

So glad that he's going to do something for you but lets hope that is moves out of your system before the ercp. 

I have eaten cheese but only a sprinkle so take care and don't go too mad until your symptoms have significantly improved. 

Let us know when you get a date as I'd like to know about your ercp, I know its the next step on from a gastroscopy which I've had.

All the best xx

• Posted

Hi Bev,

So good to hear from you! Your doctor sounds like he's a good one, thank heavens! What he suggests is reasonable, though, as you said, scary...

Please let us know how you get on--and when you have your ercp! xx

• Posted

Hi Bev just read your reply. Since my first post i had another attack. Absolute agony. Eventually got into see doctor and she seems confident there is a stone or stones still in there. I'm having an ultrasound scan in 2 weeks time and an endoscopy on Monday. I also hope something shows up. Like you i would love to eat normally again. Will let you know if i find anything out. Hope you get on ok. I feel so sorry for you. I'm just living in fear of the next attack but like you losing weight.

• Posted

Thanks Bev juzt sent you a post but don't think it worked. I'm exactly the same as you had another attack yesterday. Having endoscopy Monday and ultrasound on 11 April. Will let you know results. Like you i'm losing weight. Hope you find an answer soon. Jill

• Posted

Hi Bev  I sent you two messages so far but dont think they got through. (used my phone) Now on computer so hope this gets to you. No by reading all these posts I'm certainly not alone with this problem.  Since my last post I've had another nightmare attack.  I've got an endoscopy on Monday and and ultrasound on the 11 April.  I hope they find some stones as it will explain what's going on.  Lost 10lbs so far but what a way to lose weight!!.  Hope you soon feel better.  Like you I'm fed up with this diet but live in fear of getting that pain back. Will let you know results.  Jill

• Posted

Hi Bev Just realised my posts did get through to you.  Did you see the consultant on the nhs or privately.  Makes sense that you still have a stone left in there.  Do let me know how you get on.  Best of luck.  Jill
    • Posted

Hi Jill, good luck for monday and for your sake I hope that they find something and then you know whats causing all this pain.

Weight loss is a problem, whether people need to loose weight or not, it is distressing when it happens without knowing why. 

I don't know if you've had an endoscopy before but they will ask you if you want a local (throat spray) or sedative, if you're really nervous have both. The nurse I had suggested that to me and that was the best thing ever as I didn't remember anything, perfect!

Good luck for monday. x

• Posted

Thanks Katherine yes i have had an endoscopy last November. I was told at the last minute the doctor didn't do sedation. I thought i would be ok but it was the worst experience ever. This time if they don't do it i will not go through that again. I did phone up about this and they said they will make sure that i have sedation. Got to be there for 8.30am and i'm first so looks promising. I don't mind the weight loss as i am overweight and it's because i'm hardly eating. Just worried about that attack happening again. I'm having ultrasound 11 April so if there are any stones left hopefully it will show up on that. My GP thinks I've got one blocked in the duct. She said to rest all weekend and not go on any long journeys. Will let you know the outcome. Take care. Jill

• Posted

thats strange that you were told that, I think what they mean is he wasn't qualified to give sedation, as every bit of information I've found offers sedation for this procedure because its so uncomfortable. 

I hope all goes well and they find that stone. xx

• Posted

I think you may be right. Or it was a case of getting patients in and out quickly. It did say in the appt letter i would have a choice but at least this latest one will be at a different hospital which is small and local. Will let you know. Jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.