Gallbladder disease or Chronic Pancreatitis

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi all, looking for advice/personal experience. I have had recurring RIGHT sided pain under my ribs to the side and up my back. Slight loose stools (normal colour, float after a lot of vegetables, no oil) weight loss some intentional but lost some recently through worry. Normal ultrasound scans x2 and normal MRI and MRCP. I have "flare up of pain which can last either a few hours or get worse over a few days and then disappear for a while. If it eat chocolate I can make the pain return but not badly. My bloods are all normal (amylase, fats, triglycerides, LFTs, FBC, Tumor Markers). My query is this, I went to see the surgeon yesterday with the intention of removing my gallbladder. He stated to me it's probably not my gallbladder and more liked chronic pancreatitis? Now I am worried. I thought pancreatitis pain was predominantly left sided? And I don't think my symptoms full fit chronic pancreatitis (please advise if you think this incorrect). I do have some tingling pains below my left ribs but i am being treated for gastris. My pain and issues come from my right side, mostly to the side of my ribs. I was told by a doctor in a&e who examined me that it was probably sledge or a diseased gallbladder which wouldn't show in blood work or scans and I would have the symptoms I have. Please help! I just would like to know your thoughts or personal experience with either disease. I am 31 years old, 3 children (2 by section), one recently, on the estrogen only mini pill and omperazole.i weigh 8 stone 10lbs. I did some drinking in my 20's but this was on and off and never back to back days. It was for roughly 4 years and one day at the weekend and not every weekend! I have had very good health until everything started to hurt after the birth of my 3rd child. Pains started in my 8 month of pregnancy. I have endometriosis. I have had the following surgeries (lap lazer for endo, lap keyhole removal of gangrenous appendix and 2 c-sections.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to reply.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so pleased to hear from you as I have many of your conditions, But I must say I'm not familiar with The I think must be abbreviations of words or test eg mrcp fbc. I have had Cronic Pancreatitis for 5 years also cysts and gallstones. I've not had the opportunity to find out about these conditions as I've not had an IPad, I was 59 years old and they first thought I had cancer fortunately It wasn't. But after all the tests It turned out as above, the pain as we all know is horrendous. I take Tramadol, Morphen and Creon. If Gem, you could help or anyone else I would be greatful, I am sure with young children It's a lot harder. By the way my pain is on the right side unlike yours. 
  • Posted

Hello.. The thing about CP is that it's hard to get a diagnosis. You had good tests that would pick up on anything significant, but an ERCP is a good one to see if there are any calcifications on your pancreas, which is fairly definitive in diagnosing. I have read that estrogen can make pancreatitis worse, or even cause it. Fatty foods don't bother you? You can eat butter and fried foods w/o worsening symptoms? If so, it's probably not gall bladder or pancreas. Look closer at small intestines or liver. (I have a "redundant" duodenum, and extra loop.. A few Docs at Cedars think MAYBE it could be the cause of my CP- or could be the cause off all of my pain, no one is quite sure. Only a major surgery, which I haven't done, would possibly help but may cause more issues). People have these kind of symptoms all the time and look and look and never figure it out. Do not worry, you've had good tests to rule out many things .  Start by reading a lot. Change your diet completely for at least a month to see if it helps. Read "The Healthy Guy" blogs ( here in US) about CP or just read anything, especially from people who gave CP. They usually are much more informative than Drs. 

Stop worrying. Pray for direction.

• Posted

Alls I can say is that the start of my CP matched many of your symptoms.  From what I have been through it's hard to say the cause as I think there may have been a combonation of them.  Chemo, genetic mutation, previous abdominal surgeries, ect.  And as I've come to learn that even any injury to the pancreas can create this nasty beast.  The begginging part of my onset of digestive issues was gallbladder "sludge".  That surgery found "bad cells".  Doctors language.  My pain then was more right sided, and came with meals.  After surgery, had the diahreaha...then it kinda changed to huge abdominal bloating after eating...that wasnt exactly painful, but irritating.  This waxed and waned for a few years.  Then in 2007, ended up in ER with Acute Pancreatic Attack.  I was told get off the Methotrexate I was taking for RA.  After this improved..more digestion problems, bloating, gastritis, bowel..Idk.  Sometimes I just felt so sick, but pain was not yet localized to the upper mid back area "stabbing" till 2011ish.  Saw a Wonderful group of doctors at at pancreas center (US).  They totally believed I was expierencing CP.  Said 95% of thier patients come with gallbladders removed, which were believed to be the cause..then sent me for a slew of blood work, MRI with contrast, ERCP, EUS, ect and gastric stomach empty scan.  All of which confirmed CP, in head of pancreas mostly.  The MRI, was a special one which they would send all thier patients to one radiology center, because it's imaging was so much clearer..it shows how fast/slow the pancreas takes up the contrast, which allows it to view, and confirm diagnosis somehow.  I dont want to worry you bc you may not be heading this way, and yet I want to worry you, this way..if there is anything you can do to not further irrate digestive system..do these things.  Be very nice to your body.  Eat healthy.  Anything you can do that might stop any damage to pancreas that might have already occured.  If anything, it might slow down the progression, if in fact, CP diagnosis comes your way.  Best advice if diagnosed.  TP/AIT "islet cell transpant with total pancreatectomy done as early as possible when you will be your strongest for long term recovery, and practically guarunteed no diabetes afterwards...as your islets will be removed from pancreas, purified, and returned to your body to function as pancreas elsewhere.  Believe me..at first it seems not so bad, bad, severe, ok, then within a year maybe its everyday all day, and its progressive.  Good news is you may have more hope than many who couldnt find out sooner.  Be proactive, find out whats wrong, second opinion, everything.  Your body you know, and self reffer to pancreas doctor if possible.  I did, and if I had waited for my doctor to send me, it wouldve been much longer before I knew.  Your not crazy, and it may just be a fatty liver, but now you have some feedback from CP patients to see what its like for us, how we came to discover.  You dont want this.  I hope and pray you dont have this, and please remember us in your prayers.  We are often never comfortable, as pain meds are something we fight for, and food has become our enemy.  We pray for transplants, research, and ways to sleep at night, and for people like you, so that no one else will ever have to "walk in our shoes".  Do everything you can now to make your life fantastic.  I'm glad you asked, and I think your on the right track, probably something digestive.  OH and my pain is mostly upper middle back..stabbing affecting all nerves in spine.  It makes me nauseas, and when in acute mode vomit, digestion is horrible.  Im almost to no foods.  Not everyone feels thier pain the same, but alot of us have similar ways it affects us.  To describe it as excrutiating is true, its the nerve thing or something, that pinches, stabs, and leaves you all tense, awful.  I still bloat too.  Best wishes to you.  Let us know if you find any answers yet.  Wen~
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Wendy and thank you very much for sharing your experience with me.

I really hope I haven't got CP but at the moment a lot of things are pointing to it. I get my stool results tomorrow so should know more then.

I will keep you updated x

• Posted

So I'm not sure if it has ever recommended but my GI Dr suggested I drink beet juice daily 3 times a day 4 to 6 oz he advises that this will help the gallbladder de sludge itself and make it healtheir I too have pain on my right side just below ribs for several years now had many test hida scan which showed low function gallbladder also had ultrasound ct scans plus many blood tests my dr suggested that unless the systoms are really bad to not have it removd since no stones were found and in his exp he stated that once removed it can trigger other issues within the body so when when I get flare ups this is what I drink 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am drinking a glass of beet juice a day. And vegetable juice. I also have lemon with water as I've heard this can help with the pain/attacks. As its not really helping I'm coming to the conclusion it might not be my gallbladder afterall but I guess I can keep on hoping!
    • Posted

Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar?

I have been dealing with issues since 09, and was unsure wether it was GB or pancreas related, but then I accidentally came across a site mentioning ACV. 

Whenever you have an attack, drinking 2oz of ACV will make the pain go away in 20-30 minutes, giving its a GB attack. For me it works every time, and that seems to prove its a GB attack, since it would not make pancreatic pain/attack go away. (However it may prevent them) 

Its worth a shot! Hope you will get answers soon! 

• Posted

all of my pancreatitis pain is right sided or center and back never on left.  I too was told early on when all test came back fine that it was my galbladder.  The surgery told me my galbladder was fine and no reason to take it out but I insisted thinking my gi knew what they were talking about.  After surgery my surgen came in and told me he was right and my galblader was fine and that after I healed I would have to have more test.  I did and finally figured out I have chronic pancreatitis.  I know a lot of people do have undected galbladder problems that lead to pancreatitis symptoms but not all of us.
    • Posted

Hi bonnie29,

I am sorry you have pancreatitis. Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you mind if I ask how you got diagnosed? For example what tests were carried out? I'm waiting for the results of a stool sample at the moment for elastase x

• Posted

Sure I had an ERCP and while they were doing the test they tested the pressure of my sphincter of oddi. It was off the chart and the could see scare tissue and damage on my pancreas so they made the diagnoses. Hope this helps. They also cut that sphincter some and placed a temporary tube in the sphincter. For most people this takes care of the problem but I am unlucky and was not helped by this. I hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Hi all, so this is where I'm at now. The last 4 days I have had agonising pains on my right side under my ribs. This seems to flare up about 30-40 mins after eating. I've also had left sided pain under my ribs which is fairly constant and bearable it is however made 100 times worse as soon as I eat anything at all.

It was my husbands birthday on Thursday so I indulged in a piece of cake I've also had this weekend a nandos and yesterday at 2pm I had a chiquitos.

Last night I felt very tired (not like me) and cuddled up in the arm chair and fell asleep at 8.30. I woke up at 12am with the urgent urge to throw my guts up. After half an hour of pacing the toilet I threw up everything I could of possibly of had in my belly. I felt a bit better for being sick but all night I had terrible nausea and could even manage a sip of water without wretching.

This morning I have diarrohea, stomach is making hurrendous noises, fever and chills, shaking, can't drink without wanting to be sick again and really really bad pain in my right side that's radiating into my back!

Please can someone tell me if this is pancreas or gallbladder.

I don't have any left side pain at the moment. And my stools are normal colour, didn't float (I have had solid stools for the past 4 days for the first time in 6 months).

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

I should have my stool sample results today! Fingers crossed!

• Posted

It sounds like classic pancretits. But the gallbladder can cause acute pancretit. When I get that bad which is every two to three months I go to the er. They usually admit me. Clear liquids. Iv fluids, pain control, and nesea meds. If you get too dehydrated you won't get better on your own. Or that's been my experience. Hospital also usually gives something to lower your stomach acid which can help the feeling sick. I feel your pain and I'm sorry your going through this.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Stool results are back and they are normal!

The test was for fecal elastase.

I know this means my enzymes are ok and so then technically should be my digestion.

But does this mean I don't have Chronic Pancreatitis?

Recap of tests : ultrasoumd x 2 normal, MRI - normal, MRCP - normal, Bloods - all normal ( full blood count, LFTs, anti bodies) Amylase and Lipase - normal.

Thank you for reading

• Posted

Hi everybody ive had pancreatitis for 4 years now. Its on and off. I started by having a major acute haemorrging pancreatitis attack whilst travelling and was in pain for the year following. When i was very ill i was on alot of medication including codene, senna , omeprazole, creon, paracetomol, 8 in total all counter acting eacother. The only one i take today is creon with my food due to the scarring on my pancreas.

My mum found a case study done on vitamin c and pancreatitits, this young lady was in and out of hospital monthly with chronic symptoms and attacks. Her mum gave her a high dose of vitamin c and she recoverd miraculously so my mum got me some vitamin c pills 1000mg per pill.

i had 3 and followed with another three later and i have never been to hospital ill with it again.

No dr will ever tell you this , although j hope they will i tell all drs and everyone i ever mention my pancreas too!

I cant recomend strongly enough vitamin c pills someone with pancreatitis needs double the amount to someone that doesnt have it.

Whenever i stop taking vitamin c regualry i feel the effect. Please let me know and everyone else if this works for you.

There are many different types of supplement try and get a realiable one.

Medications are damaging to pancreatic cells.

My experience with pain relief is that Tramadol landed me in intensive pain and hospital for a week. Codene works well. But you wont be able to poo, pethradin is okay and morphine i react terribly too it puts me in more pain and then i pass out. Theres a name for this but i cant remeber.

Please try vitamin c for yourself and i hope it works for you how it does for me.

Loving pancreases even when they hurt ! Meg

• Posted

I've just been diagnosed and have been trying to figure out what I can eat. I'm going to try the vitamin c as I don't do well with melds. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.