Gallbladder Flushing for Gallstones

Posted , 6 users are following.

I been diagnosed with some gallstones, has anybody tried flushing your

gallbladder and if so does it work? I read on the internet about flushing it with Apple Juice for a week and then Epsons salt, Olive oil and either

Lemon juice or Grapefruit juice mixed together for two days it's supposed

to soften the stones and flash them out. And then you follow a low fat diet.

Welling to try if it bets having surgery.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

don't do it Sharon, I have gallstones which was diagnosed in May and I am having an operation in 2 weeks times, the above method can get them stuck in the bile duck and this can involve emergency surgery, I believe I had had them some years and they have kept coming back and I was in hospital because they got stuck and hence the pancreas got very imflamed, I am scared of surgery and have been back and forth to the hospital and if I can  tell you it has been stressful, but I would advise not doing any flusing, but it is up to you.
    • Posted

Thank you Stella for your reply, I think you are right it was just a thought but if it was something that worked a doctor would tell you to do so. I'm scared of surgery as well never had surgery but there are times that we don't get a choice if we want to feel better and I read people's comments that have had it done some good some not as good. Hope everything goes well with you maybe I'll hear from you on how well you are doing. Wish you the best and a speedy recovery, everything will be ok.
  • Posted

Hi

lots of blogs about flushing . Asked my surgeon he said doesn't work . People think they are passing the stones but it's just lumps of coagulated olive oil . If it worked I think the nhs would prescribe it save a lot of money 😉

• Posted

Thank you Sally, glad you asked your surgeon at least I know now know that it's not a good idea, I would of asked my doctor before trying it. But you are right if it was that easy than the doctor would suggest it.
    • Posted

Absolutely Sally. The NHS would do anything to save money. My consultant said it was dangerous especially for those with Diverticulosis.
  • Posted

Be wise and do not do it, you will end up doing more harm than good. I am 4 weeks post op and glad had it done.. you will always have some sort of discomfort after an op, some more than others. If you did flush the gallstones. (which seems unlikely) you will get more and so the cycle would go on. Nobody wants an op but sometimes we have to go through one. Gallstones pain can be horrendous. Especially if stuck in bile suck and when it decideds to move its the worst pain you can imagine and you always end up in A&E , so rather than having to put up with all that far better to have the gallbladder out. Have a good chat with your Gp.

• Posted

Thank you Janet, after reading your reply and a few others I know it's something not to do. I would of asked my doctor first but it was just a thought. I have had two gallbladder attacks a month apart and it last about 3 hours thought it was a kidney stone but when I went to the doctors they sent me for a ultrasound and it said I had some gallstones. So I was questioning if there was something I could do before giving up my gallbladder. Doctor hasn't said there way what I should do other that low fat diet and come back if I have any more episodes, just trying to avoid surgery if posable, so it may be surgery for me it looks like sad holding off if possible. Again thank you!!
    • Posted

Trouble is Sharon the attacks get closer and more severe as you go. I.ended up in hospital after each attack which was at least twice a week and not ideal.

Let me know how you go.

• Posted

Try and get a balanced view on this Sharon, gallbladder removal/retaining is up to the individual. What works for one does not work for the other.
  • Posted

hi Sharon

you can live with gallstones if you are careful. I had numerous small stones whcih are now one big one of 13 mm. If you try the flush they say it is not stones which come out but a soapy substance made from the oil and lemon etc.

You run the risk of forcing stones out of your gallbladder intothe bile ducts, you will know you have s your stools will be runny and bright yellow. You will aslo be a lot of pain. Surgery might be more of an emergency after this.

Treat yoru gallbladder with respect and just eat low fat food, it is probably this which caused your gallstones in the beginning lol.

Introduce some fat like avocado slowly and in small doses over time.

People have lived with gallbladder problems for years - jsut take things easy and don;t rush at stuff. Look up a gallbladder diet sheet online.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you designergirl12 for your reply, I did look up the gallbladder diet sheet and copied it. I take it you still have your gallbladder? Did you have gallbladder attacks as well? I want to make the right decision so I'm taking my time and finding out what other people have gone through, I'mglad I found this website good information. I've had two attacks one month apart and I was on a Jenny Craig Diet for five months, but I can say this I had bbq ribs small amounts both times and six hours later bad attacks and they last about 3 hours, and then your scared to eat anything. Never had a problem that I know of until now. So I'm trying to be very careful and find out what I should do for the long term, I was hoping no surgery and that I could deal with it by being careful but as I've read some people tried low fat diet and still had to have surgery I guess time will tell. my sister just had a 12mm kidney stone removed this week so 13mmgallstone is pretty good size. Nice talking to you hope all goes well with you.
  • Posted

Hi i used Olive oil and lemone juice i do NOT Eat any fatty foods any more not because i have to but a choice its rubbish food its amazing just how much food your Body needs google gall bladder plush,s an try them you have nothing to loose But the soone its out the better you will feel good Luck Talk soon ?
    • Posted

Thank you swingman I will look into the gallbladder plush, I'm glad I came to this website, you let a lot of input with help when trying to make the right decision.
    • Posted

Sorry my computer changed your name goldwingman, spell check doesn't help at times, Thank you for your reply
    • Posted

I looked up gallbladder plush, it's a herbal supplement ? What I've read by the replies low fat diet looks the to be the best way and if it progresses surgery is the lonely but last option. Oh boy no fun !!
    • Posted

It better Out than In if it giving you Curry as its very Pain full with today Morpine drips you Bombed out for a few day as i have been taking 200mg MSContin for 28 years they mixed Ketamine with my PCA Machine ( Morpine Drip ) and i have been rying to stop smoking for years and the Ketamine reset all my Brian Resepts off so when i left Hospital i did not feel a need for a smoke and that was 28/08/2012 just bought a new goldwing motor bike and camper roo Camper never felt better in my Life Best of Brittsh Luck Cheers .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.