Gallbladder is coming out, I don't know much.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm from the United States. They called me earlier and told me that I have gallstones. They have me scheduled for surgery on the fifth at 1 to have the surgery. For the experienced.. Please tell me about your experience. I'm a little nervous and they did not tell me anything at all one the phone besides what I've already wrote! My liver enzymes were also elevated up in the 480s last week. I want to know everything! From the beginning to end. How long does surgery take? Will I go home the next day?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Surgery was scheduled at 11am, I was rolled back after noon. Actual surgery took less than an hour, I was in recovery 2 hours as I had a hard time coming off the anesthesia (first surgery EVER.) Yes, by saying first day I mean day of surgery. About 30% of people will have complications digesting food after having this surgery, I am one of those people sad I take a lot of natural supplements that really help as I don't like prescription pills. The only reason you would have to stay overnight in the US if is they have to do "open surgery" and actually make an incision versus doing it laproscopically with 4 incisions in your belly. No surgery is fun but aside from the C02 gas pains I had the day of and after, it wasn't that bad. I miss my gallbladder LOL, but remember, I am a few percentage with issues. My dad had his out, no issues, eats pizza. When is your surgery again? 
  • Posted

I'm from Oregon. I had mine out in november. It was easy ! I was worried about going under but it was easy. Waking up you feerl weird but it goes away. Make sure you have some one with you for 24-48 hours after surgery. You won't be up for cooking.

Bending will hurt. No lifting. Start a low fat diet now. I know it helped me before my surgery. No dairies, skim milk only. No fatty, greasey, and fried foods. Spicey foods not a good idea.

Start with jello after surgery. Drink lots of water now and afterwards.

Eat chicken, turket, white fish that's not fatty. If you need more ideas let me know.

When you get home rest. No lifting things. Belly button keyhole will hurt the most since its the deepest cut. Why do you have to bend the night? I didn't.

When you fel better don't add to much to your day. We start to feel better and get back to normal stuff but your body won't be ready yet. So add things slowly. Walking around the house each day a few laps each day a couple times a day. Add more laps slowly. Rest!

Some people do have issues with bile reflex not all. I didn't. I had bile coming out in my poop, green poop. The reflex stuff is bad from what I have heard. But not everyone gets it.

Don't listen to everybodys horror stories. Everybody is different. I'm doing fine. I had a few set backs but I over did it walking.

You need support not horror stories. I'm glad to have mine out. Most people are. Some didn't have good doctors and the right information.

No dairies! Skim milk is fine. Eat low fat foods now and two months afterwards. If you need a list let me know.

Worst part for me was going under the knife with my daughter and husband not getting along. He has issues we have to deal with and he left us for a week so she had every right to be mad at him.

Any qestions just ask.

Lori

Good luck! Let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

I had mine out 2 weeks ago and I'm so happy that I did. I can now eat normally.

For me - I didn't eat for 24 hours before my surgery and for 24 hours afterwards. That was perfect for me, as I didn't throw up anything. The nausea after surgery lasted about 12-14 hours but because I didn't eat I didn't throw up anything.

The first 12 hours after the surgery were the worst for me, but after the first day I just got better and better. It took about 3-4 days for me to feel hungry after the surgery and after that - I can really eat whatever I want although I have been taking it easy.

I'm so much happier now my gallbladder is out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.