Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

At first i felt some comfort knowing i wasn't the only one in pain but now it seems to have turned into a nightmare as i cant see anyone who has been 'cured' .To think that i'll just have to live with the pain is very depressing.
  • Posted

I know fay I feel exactly the same, it is really depressing especially when you feel that the drs are against you.
  • Posted

After i had done all the tests done and they found nothing wrong, the DR. started mentioning how stress could be causing it, i knew the second i heard that that i was doomed. i told her ive been in stress most of my life but this would be the first time i am excruciating pain cause of stress so i dont think so.
  • Posted

Fay know exactly what you mean, that is their other copout saying its all stress. of course stress doesn't help these conditions but the drs don't help by keep saying its just that and we have to prove them wrong.
  • Posted

Thanks Jane. Right now im just looking for natural remedies to ease the pain. I drink tea made with fennel and im going to start taking peppermint capsules.
  • Posted

I tried peppermint capsule fay caused my pain to be worse, but it might work for you.
  • Posted

I remove my gallbladder sometime in July 2013 and my scar has healed pretty good but he only thing that

is bothering me is the fact that I'm still having pains in the area where I got cut. sometimes these pains are so unbearable and when I eat it feels like everything is coming back. Is this suppose to happen cuz I'm

confuse as to what is going on with my body. I have done so much of testing and the results say

everything is good, but why do I feel this way. some days I am extremely tired and my mouth is full of

saliva. Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever going to have a pain free day

• Posted

Shayshay, glad you posted this. I had mine out in April 2013 and am still really sore on the smaller side cuts and chest one( belly button ok) . When I touch them they are sensitive and sore, and I get pains in the side ones. I was wondering if it could be adhesions? I'm getting a lot of acid reflux too now and discomfort in my right shoulder blade area. I was great till December then all this started again.

I was thinking after a year it would all be healed but I do wonder

• Posted

Maxine and Shaysay

It sounds like both of you could possibly have sphincter oddi dysfunction.It can happen after GB removal. Google it.

• Posted

I have had my Gall Bladder removed in March 2012. I had Pancreatitis and spent 8 days in hospital trying to reduce my Amalayse down from 1700!! I actually thought I was dying, Ultra Sound and MRI confirmed my

Gall Bladder was crammed full with black stones which resembled the bottom of the sea.

I thought having my Gall Bladder removed would sort all that pain out. For a while afterwards it was great.

'Best thing I have done'.... I have repeatedly told my GP of chronic wind like pain when I eat sometimes.

Mainly porridge made with skimmed milk and water. My GP tells me it's scar tissue or my body telling me not to eat the same thing everyday....really??? I can eat curries and chilli and not experience any pain....

I have suggested I need to go back to see the Gastroenterologist but haven't crawled into my GP surgery on my hands and knees yet to get such a referral. I this whole weekend experienced Pancreatitis pain, pain in

My shoulder blades and feeling like I need to throw up one minute and be fine the next...the pain is a sore

Pain, not an ache. It starts from the GB site down to my stomache. Reading your comments have made me realise I am not mad, I do have these pains and wish my GP would stop dismissing me. I have recently taken

Iron. I have always been able to stomache Ferris Sulphate in the past but not now. I have had Perniious Anemia for 15 years. I Am going back to MG GP to suggest SOD. I wander how quickly I will be encouraged to leave?? I

• Posted

Hi Springs

You are definitely not going mad, I ended up having severe panic attacks because they wouldn't believe me, and I now have a fear of going to gp. sod is a proper medical condition not a physcological one and it is more common with GB problems or removal of GB, but any digestive problem can bring it on and also medications can affect it. The pain ranges between excrutiatingly sharp, or tightning, or like a pressure, it is always in the right rib back shoulder area and food always makes it worse.The crazy thing when I saw second consultant is that she suggested I probably had sod and then on next consultation she tried to say it was physcological. I had never even heard of the condition till then. stress and anxiety do also affect it but it is not the cause. Hope you get some answers.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I feel better reading thus forum. I have been referred for an ultra sound today bad have had the usual bloods taken. I have been prescribed Omoprazole again to help ease the pain I have got. The doctor was reluctant to offer any thoughts and became quite grumpy and dismissive telling me if he could answer my questions he wouldn't be sending me for tests........ Good job we can't hear our thoughts....I probably would have been chucked off the patient list!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi springs

Glad its making you feel better, these forums really do help, people don't feel so alone.It makes my blood boil at some of these doctors, I accept they can't always know, but they don't have to be so abrupt and dismissive. That's why I'm so anxious of them now because my consultant was like that.

At least you're getting some more tests done.

• Posted

I have pain where my gallbladder was too. I have heard that a lot of people who have gallbladder removals are celiac sensitive, which makes sense as that is close to the small intestine. To help with the pain I'm going on a gluten free diet this week, if it helps I'll come back and share. So glad to hear it isn't just me, the pain sucks.
  • Posted

I had my Gallbladder removed 11 days ago after almost a year of doctor visits, every test imaginable run, severe pain and weight loss. Finally I checked myself into the emergency room and refused to leave until they would run a hida scan. I got 11 staples in my stomach in 2 different areas. After 6 days the surgeon took them out and said I wass good to go. No followup appt, just take tylenol for pain, and eat normally. Is this normal? I am still in extreme pain, my incisions are weeping, I am so fatigued I have to nap every few hours, and I can't bend over to put my shoes on. Every time I eat, I get full really fast and then get a horribe stomachache like before they took the gallbladder out. Has anyone ever experieced anything like this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.