Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this has been a while ago, but any updates?  I have the same issue.  GB out about 5 years ago and now have pain in right upper quad of abode and the same shoulder pain.  To me it feels like a giant swollen liver.  When I am trying to sleep it is so uncomfortable and just feel like ribs are digging into liver.  Dr appt tomorrow with results of ultrasound, x-Ray and blood work.
  • Posted

Having had a quick look through this discussion it may be worth going to see a good acupuncturist. The Liver produces bile amongst many other tasks and in the normal course of events the Gall-Bladder stores it and releases it into the Small Intestines. When the Gall-Bladder is removed the Liver secretes bile directly into the small intestines to carry out the same process as before but does not deal so well with a lot of fat once the Gall-Bladder is removed. The Liver in Chinese terms when not in harmony affects moods, digestion, irritability, anger or lack of same, and you can get a tight band feeling across the chest. At night the Liver is resting and when you lie down it can increase symptoms. It is the biggest solid organ in your body and In Chinese terms is seen as a General and the Gall-Bladder as the decision/judgement maker. Things like leg cramps originate from the Liver in Chinese medicine as well as Floaters in the eyes and nails that split or break easily.
    • Posted

I had my gallbladder out about 8 or 9 years ago. Apparently it wasnt "functioning properly.....  I have been sufferring for about 5 or more years with burning in my upper left abdomen towrads the center and all the way through the back.   The have done all kinds of blood work and colonoscopy and endoscopy and endoscoptic ultrasound and finally an MRI!   I feel AWFUL ALL the time now.  The Docs can't help me yet.

What you said makes a lot of sense.  Thank you!  

When I had my gallbladder removed, it was supposed to be done laproscoptically, but I woke up from surgery with a 7 inch scar.  The doc said that by looking at the monitor, things just didn't look right and he needed to cut me open to see it better, or it looked like I could have died, if he had left it the way he saw it on the monitor.   

Anyway, he saw all was fine. but I'm NOT fine at all.

I have been telling the doctors that I really think my problem is related to that surgery.

If I could take it back, I would do it in a heartbeat!

I had always been under the impression that we didn'y need the GB. just like we dont need tonsils!  Now, my pancreas and liver are affected.  because the liver doesn't know what to do,,  etc.  and everything else is affected by that.   

I dont know what to do, but I feel like I'm dying a slow death

I dont eat much anyway, and stay away from fatty foods. 

And Yes, I have had floaters in the eyes, and my nails are vrey rigid and they split downward toward the cuticle even.  I also have Rhuematiod Arthritis, but mostly that has effected my repiratory system throughout my life.  Only after the surgery, have I had this awfullness.

• Posted

With my surgery in January 2014 and having the same pain as Happyalien in July for about a week, I am happy it has passed with only an occasional tweek now and then.  I had prostate cancer surgery in May and thought maybe it was connected, but my urologist laughed at that thought.  Since it affected by back as well, I mentioned it to my physiotherapist and she thought it may have been the way I was sitting/turning at my computer, and told me to be sure I turned the entire body at once, no twisting at the waist.  My pharmacist cautioned me to avoid eating fatty foods because of the loss of control over the bile, but did not think the pain would be connected.  I normally do not eat fatty foods but tend to have a high fibre diet - I have been having diarrhea issues over the past month or two.  Anyway, so far so good since my one week of pain, and I have no idea if watching my posture and diet was a help, but I wish everyone well. 
  • Posted

Hi guys had my GB out 22/08/2013 due to suffering for nearly three years and being ignored by doctors many times... I was rushed into a & e a few days prior to this and was on morphine, tramadol & paracetamol and anti sickness through a uv drip. Now a year later tonight i seem to have had a GB attack for almost a solid hour... The same intense pain I had the night I was rushed in. Hoping my gp can help not that they are much help these days.
  • Posted

I am just sick that so many of you have had to suffer for years.  I was diagnosed w/in a month after my first attack, and decided to adopt a wait and see attitude.  Well, a month or so later, I ended up in the ER and spent 6 days in the hospital getting stabilized.  Did a 12 hour trip home and saw the surgeon almost immediately, He had just had a cancellation for 3 days later.  Needless to say we lept at it.  Now if only someone could figure out the "reminder" pain.  Am trying a lwo fat diet, but I was already pretty much that way before all this. 

It's intersting that so many of you have had this pain, because my surgeon didn't seem to have encountered it before.  And is at a loss what to do.  Maybe I should refer him to this blog (LOL).

• Posted

I've just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago and going in mutch the same direction as you reading your text is putting my mind more at ease after reading the wording on some American sites I got really worried . On Sunday past 31,8 I did the wrong thing thinking the worst was over n had a pint of Beer , suffered all night and most of Monday huge amounts of acid in stomach only thing that really worked was a packet of mints , coffee seems to make things worse . Hope u r making progress happy alien keep seeing your health centre for conserns during recovery n GWS
  • Posted

You may find that taking bile suppliments with meals helps the diarhea. Also, are you taking probiotics? That could make a difference. A high quality one with enteric coating, like Jarrow, will survive the trip to your intestines.  I have had my GB out two months ago and also have had squeezing grinding pain after some foods, and I found quinine in tonic water made the ducts sort of spastic, which burned and hurt. Good luck finding wellness smile I am due in for an ultra sound to see if there are stones being formed in the liver as well.  I don't think that is the problem, since it resolves and I feel much better after wards. 
  • Posted

Hey you all, I have an interesting no side effect that has developed since I had my gall bladder out--MY HOT FLASHES ARE BACK!  i had a hysterectomy at least 15 years ago, and now I am having (fortunately infrequently) hot flashes again.! AARGH!  Just had to vent after a major one today.  Anyone else noticed this?
    • Posted

I have noticed that the Aweful hot flashes I was getting before the gall bladder came out are much better, but I am still getting them.  That is an interesting coincidence.  I am taking a medication that is known to cause them so I did not make a conclusion about them being related to the GB surgery.  I had a few gall bladder like spasms(of the biliary ducts I presume), and the hot flashes were bad before the pain started.  Maybe its a way the body says its time to cool it! lol Best of health to you!
  • Posted

Hi I just had GB surgery 6 weeks ago and I still have really bad pain under my right side. I have called my surgon, but they have to get back too me. The pain starts to flare up in the middle of the night so I have to take a pain pill but it still broke my sleep. I have noticed that after I get up and move around it goes away, wonder what that is all about BUT I will take it rather that have the pain all day.
  • Posted

Hi - reading through you post - wondering how you've been with your issue? I also had my GB removed about 18 months ago. I still get pains in upper right side from time to time....more often lately. Been to GI, had colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood work and CATs done - nothing showing. GI tells me I have to "give him more" to go on. Tells me it could be scaring or no more regulartion of bile, nerve damage, etc....It all started 3 years ago with pancreatitis.....but havent had that since. I just hate the wondering why I have this pain! Hope you are doing well. Anyone else feel free to reply. Thanks!
    • Posted

So thought I was maybe over it--and wham, it hits again.  Interesting remark about the shoulder pain--I was attributing that to arthritis--wonder if it is all connected!  Please keep updating people, it really helps to know others are in the same boat.  
    • Posted

For the 8 years pre gallbladder removal 99% of my pain was in the right shoulder and shoulder blade. 

18 months post op now and still occasionally get this pain and got upper right abdo pain as I write 😳

Had lots of bloods and ultrasounds etc since but nothing can be found that's wrong

• Posted

I have th same pain where my gallbladder was. it is like spasms. Told my dr. and he said it could be adhesions, which I am proned to grow with surgeries. I am going back Oct 7th to talk to him further about this problem and will ley you all know what will be done to alleviate the pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.