Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi happy alien, I know your post was quite a while ago but just wondered if you had found any relief or answers. I'm suffering with the same thing and getting nowhere. Thanks
  • Posted

Thanks to all for this posting.  Gall bladder out in January 2014, followed by a prostatecomy in May (bad year), and 3 days ago, pain/soreness under my right shoulder blade down to just below my rib cage - like a muscle soreness from front to back of my abdomen.  Took a muscle relaxant (Robaxacet), and it helped for a few hours.  Now, just a mild soreness at the bottom of my rib cage, with occasional strange twinges around my shoulder blade.  Sounds similar to happyalien and some others, and so that gives me some comfort that something else major is not lining up for me.  Yesterday was very mild, but I woke up this a.m. with more soreness.  As others have said, it is bearable, but annoying today.  Thanks for the postings so one can ease one's mind!
  • Posted

I can certainly relate.  I had my gb out about a month ago, and just lately started having intense pain right below where the gb was.  Am going to email my surgeon, but this is frustrating!
  • Posted

Hello everyone, has anyone had botox injection for the treatment of SOD. I had one two days ago and now am in serious pains. someone please reply.
  • Posted

I had mine removed 13.5 years ago. I still get "phantom" gallbladder pains. Right under my ribcage. Usually every six months or so it will flare up. Today happens to be my unlucky day. sad
  • Posted

I ,too, have suffered phantom GB pains. I had my GB removed about 2 yrs ago. Everthing was fine and I had no problems for about a year. Then last Fall I started getting pain in the sam RUQ area of my abdomen that I had before removal

I though "GREAT"!.I follow and trust the DRs. and now I have the same pain and no GB. Its usually up under the rib cage but seems to radiate down to the middle incision and sometimes toward the right one. It doesnt really seem to get worse. Just a constant, nagging ,dull pain in my upper abdomen. Maybe scar tissue or adhesions. I can feel a pulling when I lift or twist my torso. Based on the other replys mine is not so bad. Sounds wierd but I ,actually ,feel better knowing im not alone in this or imagineing it. I think ill just ignore it untill/unless it gets worse. I dont feel alone anymore!!!

• Posted

Hi Bobzilla, I'm in the same boat. Had my gallbladder out 2 1/2 years ago no problems until Christmas and then an ache in my back in the same area. Got checked for kidney stones -all fine. Tried to ignore it and be super healthy diet wise and then had a bigger attack two weeks ago. Now being referred to a gastro doctor as my doctor thinks there might be a stone in the duct. More tests but like you just knowing your not the only one with these problems does help. Will keep you posted if I find out any more.
  • Posted

I really find that magnesium helps.  Just found out it was a muscle relaxent, perhaps that is why.
  • Posted

I just had my gallbladder removed in mid April.  No stones it was just not emptying out the bile.  Was fine till 2 1/2 weeks ago when a similar pain started.  Much like I had before its removal.  Its been pretty much 2 weeks of soreness with an occasional sharp pains in the upper right abdmonial radiating to the back under the shoulder blade.  Going back to a doctor today.
  • Posted

Well, just when I told my doc it was better, it happened again last night.  4 hrs.of intense pain slowly subsiding.  It happened after a very good dinner out,so maybe it was the butter (lg am't) on the baked potato??  I will have to keep track of what I have eaten when it happens now.  Good luck everyone.
  • Posted

i had my gb out in january 13 and have had a constant dull ache ever since but the last few weeks its getting worse and only strong painkillers take the pain away i have been back to my dr but keep getting fobbed off with antacids or lansoperezole doesnt matter what i eat it hurts and the nausea is all day! i wish i never had mine removed i could have put up with the pain every so often as to now its every day sad
    • Posted

Thanks for your input Joan..........I am having a CTscan Monday......which I am very hesitent to do........but I have to find out what is going on. May not be gb related at all, but the pains, with exception of right side chest pains, which I don't have, are similar to my gb attack. Now I have a little ab pain and lots of back pain....nausea, dry heaves a few times......and feel generally out of sorts. Not sure what is wrong, but I had read that stones can form in the duct, but it is rare.........hoping that is all my problem is.

I wonder if you have a duct stone......when my gb was taken out they did a MRI to see if there were any and then wanted to put a scope down throat to be absolutely sure, but I objected to that, given they can do damage with those scopes. Did you have the duct looked at and cleared for any lodged stones?  Hope you feel better........

• Posted

Hi Cwilliam. Having an ultrasound and blood tests on Tuesday for the same suspected stones in the duct after having my gallbladder out two years ago. I had a dull ache from Christmas and my doctor has been fobbing me off. Big attack 3 weeks ago but have been much better with a lot less pain the last week. Perhaps the stone has passed through? Anyway good luck for Monday and let us know how it goes.
    • Posted

Shelley...........will provide feedback.........one Q........the pains I have are in back, mainly up high, like spine is inflamed..........dull, continuous pain. Also, some nausea and gaseous feeling.........not much abdomen pain at all.

Are your symptoms the same?  

I asked doc about creating stones in duct after gb is removed......he said it can happen but is rare.....has seen only one case of it.........

one other Q, Shelley........is the ultrasound of the duct? Or more extensive area?

Thanks for post.

• Posted

I been having the same problem but have not found any answers have you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.