Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I had gb removed one year ago I have suffered with acheing under my right side bottom ribs and pain when yawning and involantry breathing  I saw my surgeon in april told him of my problems had mri scan showing nothing only small colection of fluid which he said would go by itself I have again been back to my doctors with the same problems and she thinks that it is damage to my nerve in that area I also have found a hernia in my belly button where I had key hole surgery which now means another operation.

• Posted

Some people do get an hernia. In fact, I think I have developed one and will have this checked out. Also, my doctor thinks my pain is from adhesions. I can move a certain way and the pain is extremely intense where my gallbladder was, so I know what you are talking about. You are the first to say anything about a damaged nerve. I go to my doctor  in Feb. and I will ask him about that too.
  • Posted

Hey everyone,

I got my gallbladder removed about 5 yrs ago and a very months after the surgery, I started getting the same pain in the same place (upper abdommen and back). The pain comes and goes randomly but when I went to the doctor about a yr after the sugery, they couldn't find anything. They just gave antacid to deal with the diarrhea but it did  nothing for the pain.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Does anyone have any ideas about whats wrong?

• Posted

My doctor told me it was probably adhesions which is scar tissue. I have not had a CT scan to verify this yet. but plan on it! I will keep you informed.lol
  • Posted

I  had the CT and nothing.  It is so infrequent I hate to complain about it, but when it sidelines for hours at a time, it is a royal pain in the patootie!
  • Posted

Hi smile so glad I noticed this post lol ...18 yes 18 YEARS ago I had my gallbladder removed and I still get this unwanted ache/pain to this day . Starts in the middle of my chest, like a knot , moves round under neath by rib cage and Into my back.  For years I havebeen to the doctors and got given omprezaloe everytime , this is not what I need, what I need is for it to be investigated but I get told that it's nothing to do with my go as its gone and get treated like I'm over reacting , so i suffered all through my pregnancy with the g,stones and had my g.bladder removed 5 hrs after a emergency c.section , I have often wondered if it was actually my gallbladder rolleyes
    • Posted

it sounds like it was. They are the symptoms of painful gallstones. Hope you are better!!  cry
  • Posted

It still is just as bad when I get the (I call em attacks). I can pin point wht sets it off ie shock, and lack of sleep also certain paracetamol , it's hard when the kids try and hide to make you jump lol as that also sets it off, I often wonder if it's something else but down to how it starts and the symptoms I get including having to hyperventilate to try control it is the exact same as when I had my gallbladder attacks only yesterday did I have my last one .
    • Posted

I have that pain and my doctor says it is probably adhesions. That pain will take your breath away!. I am going for a ct soon and verify what the problem is.
  • Posted

Totally understand Happy. This morning my "odd right side pain" was kicking so I had to take a sick day. I am scheduled for an endoscopy in March, hoping they find something, although I doubt they will. I want my GB back sad
    • Posted

No! I do not want my gb back with all that pain and nausea. Mine is probably adhesions and that is esaily fixed by laser surgery. Every surgery I have had I have grown adhesions and then had to have them surgically lasered .
  • Posted

This is really interesting. I had a lap Chloe in July & am now experiencing the right sided ache which goes to my back & under my shoulder blade.

has anyone ever had a reason for this or is it just a case of making do?  I really hope it isn't, I don't have time for this.

• Posted

Hey everybody! I just happened to stumble upon this discussion, and I seem to be in the same position. Sadly I am at a point where we are just "managing my symptoms". Meaning they are throwing pain meds at me. However, I have refused to take them and am hoping that my doctor will find an answer! So far he has done an EGD and given me some Nexium (which isn't helping). So at this point I am at a loss as to what to do. I had my gallbladder removed in 2011, so 4 years now and have been dealing with the pain ever since. I have changed my eating habits, and that also did not help. This pain is sometimes so intense that it hurts to move, and it causes me to throw up. Sometimes the pain will last a day or a week. But I have no warning before it hits. But it's pain and nasuea in the URQ under my ribs. It's awful! I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only out there with this pain. 
    • Posted

I had my gb out in 2004 and this pain just started about 8 months ago. Doctor says it is probably adhesions (scar tissue) and I want a ct scan to verify. Have you had a ct scan?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.